Echo cs-600p owners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post a pic of the piston from the exhaust port. I priced an echo piston for a blower before and it was quite affordable for a factory piece. Maybe the chainsaw pistons are priced well also. If the piston is all scored up you are probably pizzing up a rope running it. I would not run it. If you do you could end up trashing the cylinder.

cob job options

Post a pic of the piston from the exhaust port. I priced an echo piston for a blower before and it was quite affordable for a factory piece. Maybe the chainsaw pistons are priced well also. If the piston is all scored up you are probably pizzing up a rope running it. I would not run it. If you do you could end up trashing the cylinder.

I don't think my crappy cellphone cam will take a good enough pic to see the detail, no flash for one and just doesn't work all that well. Got the muffler back on anyway. To the sides of the exhaust port the piston looks normal fine, you can see the fine machining. I have vertical lines right at that opening on the piston, but you can't feel them with your finger. Not quite the entire width of the opening, say half way or a little more. If I have to take it all the way off..sigh..might as well replace the whole thing I guess. Besides excessive smoke, will I do any other damage if I do decide to run it as is? Will running richer oil mix help it to last a little until I can afford a new piston assembly and cylinder?

I also wonder about just polishing it all? Not really honing it down a lot, just a polish?

I know there's the right way to do things, just wondering if I can milk it out before then, with that and a better carb tune..although the carb might not tune with it excessively leaky like it is.

Thanks for your reply. I am jonesing wanting to finish cutting up that big hickory. I have all the little stuff cut already, just waiting for it to dry out some before I take the tractor down there to pick it up, been storming/raining here bad. (plus me old back is acting up, need a coupla more days recuperation to get back to full working status)

ha! worn out saw, worn out dude...funny how that works.

OK, where are the cheap pistons?

Thanks

A new piston kit is $53.30, cylinder is $146.90

Thanks for the quotes, I'll keep them in mind and bookmark your page. For the time being, I am going to just chance it and run it, slow at first, then see what I can do with it. I still have the other one I bought new as my "backup". Now I know they need tuning upfront plus a little more care in breaking in then the new huskys I got before.

I would adjust the carburetor correctly BEFORE doing any cutting. If you don't add some fuel the damage will only get worse.

From the description, the P/C should be OK, may not need any parts, just taken down and cleaned up to make sure there isn't any piston material smeared over the ring and on the liner.

Don't be afraid of ethanol, never had the first problem one with it. Just use good Husqvarna or Stihl premium mix, and set the carburetor so it is delivering PLENTY of fuel at full load.

The saw should "four stroke" at no load, then clean up nicely in the cut. Some Echo's have a rev limiter or high speed timing retard module built into the coil, and can be difficult to set. I'd go plenty "rich" with the "H" speed screw, till power falls off, then lean it up a little at time for the best power in the cut at the richest setting(s)......Cliff

I would adjust the carburetor correctly BEFORE doing any cutting. If you don't add some fuel the damage will only get worse.

From the description, the P/C should be OK, may not need any parts, just taken down and cleaned up to make sure there isn't any piston material smeared over the ring and on the liner.

Don't be afraid of ethanol, never had the first problem one with it. Just use good Husqvarna or Stihl premium mix, and set the carburetor so it is delivering PLENTY of fuel at full load.

The saw should "four stroke" at no load, then clean up nicely in the cut. Some Echo's have a rev limiter or high speed timing retard module built into the coil, and can be difficult to set. I'd go plenty "rich" with the "H" speed screw, till power falls off, then lean it up a little at time for the best power in the cut at the richest setting(s)......Cliff

Sorry for delay of reply, can't get my regular ISP working either...have tojump in and off with my cellular data thing, don't want to chance getting bumped for "tethering"...why this matters to those turkeys I don't know, seems like five gigs is five gigs....anyway, thanks for the advice, if I can find the appropriate torx here I might tear it down and clean it then reassemble and try it again. Need the practice anyway.

Oh, cool beans.. I had read here some other thread that sometimes the scrap metal recyclers get in chainsaws and you can get them cheap. So yesterday I took a load of aluminum roofing I have from the tornado damage we got (reason why I bought the larger echos to begin with, dealing with some huge stuff). so I ask him "ever get any saws in"? He goes "guy right before you just brought one in"! me -> !!!!111one! wheee!

Got it for ten bucks. Had no sparkplug in it, but compression on yanking it and the finger seemed fair enough, some 16 inch mc culloch. I had a spare plug in my truck. So, next ye aulde lady wants to hit kmart, I stay outside in the parking lot, stick the plug in, primed it,(had some dregs of fuel left in it) it coughed! I'll clean it up later and see if I can get it to run..beginners CAD!

I agree with you echo just does not have the following in saws. However they seem to be trying to change that. Maybe they have looked at all the ground dolmar has gained and have decided to go for it with there larger dealer network they could make some real noise. The 600 could be a definte homerun for them if it performs. I have been interested in this saw for a long time even before it was available in the states I would bug my dist. who acted like it did not exist There is a couple of other new models comming in this style so we shall see how she does. Maybe I can post some video of it running against a 361 or a comparable Jonsered! I guess we could see how it does against a 6400 or better yet a 7900:laugh: Seriously I have high hopes for it as it could fill a void that I have in my saw offerings!

Should I drop my 7900 off at your place for the comparison? I got my heavy duty filter in and you can tune her up while your at it.

I always liked Echo power equipment because of its durability.

I don't expect it will be faster than my 7900, but the availability of dealers in my area would far surpass Domars.

I have been wanting to try my luck out on a little milling, so more weight and a 5 year warranty wouldn't bother me too bad.

I don't want to wear out my 7900 on a mill. I'll leave that process to a dedicated saw, where weight doesn't matter as much to me.

From Echo and Dolmar web sites

PS-7900
Displacement 78.5 cm³ (4.8 cu. in)
Power rating 4.5 kW (6.3 HP)
Max engine speed 13,500 min-1
Fuel tank capacity 0.75 l (25.4 oz)
Oil tank capacity 0.4 l (13.5 oz)

Net weight 6.2 kg (13.6 lbs)
Standard guide bar Power head only
Optional guide bars 20, 24, 28, 32
Chain pitch 3/8 "
Chain gauge .050

CS-8000
Engine Displacement (cc) 80.7
Engine Displacement (cu in) 4.92
Starting System Standard
Ignition System SAIS
Carburetor (w/Purge Pump) Butterfly-Valve Diaphragm (without Purge Pump)
Oiling System Automatic/ Adjustable (with manual override)
Vibration Reduction System Standard
Available Bar Lengths (in) 24,27,32,36
Fuel Capacity (fl. oz.) 28.9
Oil Capacity (fl oz) 14.1
Dry Weight (lb)* 16.5
Consumer Warranty 5 years
Commercial Warranty 1 year
Rental Warranty 90 days
* Without bar and chain

Last edited:
I owned a CS-800 briefly. Sorry guys, as much as I like some of Echo's current models, this saw was NOT a "home-run" in their line-up.

It had good torque, but not overly fast in rpm's or chain speed. I also HATED the little rubber cover over the mixture screws, and the flat filter instead of the automotive style round filter their other models use.

It also oiled the bar all the time, which isn't a big deal, but another feature that I associate with Professional chain saw models.

The CS-800 wasn't as strong as my 30 year old 480CD, let alone my much faster 181SE.

I grouped it in with the CS-440 that we tested, neither one was overly impressive anyplace for the cc's. Both of those saws are no longer in my line-up, for the reasons stated above......FWIW......Cliff

My CS8000 cuts right with my 7900 and 385xp, no it doesn't rev as fast but you can lean on it taking bigger chips, maybe 1 second difference in a 20 second cut between the 3. It certainly isn't a limber. On a good scale full ready to cut the 385 and CS8000 are 23# and the 7900 is a bit over 20#. Slight muff mod on the CS8000 , the other 2 are stock. All 3 blow away my 044 saws, no reason to run them. Steve

I owned a CS-800 briefly. Sorry guys, as much as I like some of Echo's current models, this saw was NOT a "home-run" in their line-up.

It had good torque, but not overly fast in rpm's or chain speed. I also HATED the little rubber cover over the mixture screws, and the flat filter instead of the automotive style round filter their other models use.

It also oiled the bar all the time, which isn't a big deal, but another feature that I associate with Professional chain saw models.

The CS-800 wasn't as strong as my 30 year old 480CD, let alone my much faster 181SE.

I grouped it in with the CS-440 that we tested, neither one was overly impressive anyplace for the cc's. Both of those saws are no longer in my line-up, for the reasons stated above......FWIW......Cliff

Cliff I think your going more by chain speed than cutting speed, I'd swear my 385 and 7900 cut a lot faster by the chain speed but they don't in timed cuts. You can't lean on either one near as hard as the Echo, with the 385 being better than the 7900. Steve

Steve, the CS-800 is a fine saw, never wanted to indicate that it isn't. I'm not sure what their intensions were with that particular model? Echo has the ability to produce a very powerful and high speed P/C set-up, but they chose to engineer one that focused more on mid-range power instead.

Nothing at all wrong with that, but when you have really fast cutting saws in your line-up, like I do, you simply woln't find yourself using a big-heavy-slow saw very much.

I spent a LOT of time with the CS-800, and kept trying to lean it out for high rpm's, which it immediately let me know it wasn't happy with. When I tried for a really high rpm at no load, the saw quickly stalled against the clutch when I loaded it heavily in big material. It wanted a lot more fuel via the "H" speed screw instead, when it quickly and favorably "grunted" very well thru some pretty big logs. This quickly lets the tuner know that the port timing/type of porting built into the design, was not intended for really high rpm's in the cut.

I just didn't want readers to get the impression that the CS-800/8000's were really impressive high speed strong running saws. They have good power for the cc's, but it's not because of strong high rpm capabilities........Cliff

Cliff I just as soon use my Cs8000 than my higher RPM 385xp, it's really a toss up they both cut good and wieght the same. Like usual the Echo balances nice in my hand. I don't know why you'ld want to lean out the Echo 8000 to get more RPM's, it's a lower speed motor with huge torque. Put a good sharp chain with low rakers to take advantage of it. If you want more RPM out of the 8000 you'ld have to raise the exhaust port some. Like I mentioned above to is very little differnce in cutting speed in my CS8000, 7900 Dolmar , and 385xp in bigger wood, these are not limbing saws. The 7900 has the RPM to be a limber but I'll stick with my 50 or 40cc saws for that. Steve

Steve, I quickly found out that the CS-800 is NOT a high speed design. I no longer own that saw, it went on Ebay a while back. It just wasn't seeing any use as I have two Husqvarna Professional models in that size range which I like better in just about every area.

Same deal here for me when it comes to using saws for limbing/smaller work, my 50cc saws see the most use, due to cutting speed and the fact that most of the cutting we do is in smaller material. I've grown quite fond of light weight-high speed-fast cutting saws now that I'm over 50 years old last year, and still heat my shop and home with firewood as the primary heat souce.....Cliff

PS: on the subject at hand here, have you had the opportunity to run and evaluate one of the new 600P's? I'll get one at some point, but with a 262XP in the line-up, not really making a lot of effort in that direction as I've pretty much got that deal covered.

Last edited:
Steve, I quickly found out that the CS-800 is NOT a high speed design. I no longer own that saw, it went on Ebay a while back. It just wasn't seeing any use as I have two Husqvarna Professional models in that size range which I like better in just about every area.

Same deal here for me when it comes to using saws for limbing/smaller work, my 50cc saws see the most use, due to cutting speed and the fact that most of the cutting we do is in smaller material. I've grown quite fond of light weight-high speed-fast cutting saws now that I'm over 50 years old last year, and still heat my shop and home with firewood as the primary heat souce.....Cliff

PS: on the subject at hand here, have you had the opportunity to run and evaluate one of the new 600P's? I'll get one at some point, but with a 262XP in the line-up, not really making a lot of effort in that direction as I've pretty much got that deal covered.

i have 1 of the 600p's,,its a sweet saw,,,

Agreed, I have a muffler modded CS-510 that flat ROCKS, and a Husqvarna 262XP, there isn't any room in that range for anything else. Even so, I'm intrigued enough by 600P to put one on my wish list.

One of my best friends has an Stihl 044, and I service it for him and sharpen the chain(s), etc. It's a strong runner, and has been dead solid reliable for him for years.....Cliff

Latest posts

Back