Echo CS-670 Vrs. Stihl MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you EVER run a modern ECHO? Or had one apart to see how well they are put together? be honest. Steve

No, and I don't want to either!!!! :censored:

There is a very good reason that the usually don't publish power specs - the ones I have found occationally is nothing to brag about, to say the least - and a mess as well......:greenchainsaw:

I have owned the following Echo saws:

CS-300, CS-301, CS-360, CS-440, CS-510, CS-670, CS-800

Here's the unbiased opinion(s).

The smaller CS-300/301's are reed valve engines, SERIOUSLY underpowered, very, very slow, but dead solid reliable.

The CS-330 and CS-360's were built to replace the smaller 300 series saws, they have piston ported engines, and run over 14,000rpm's. They cut at least twice as fast with good torque to go with the chain speed.

The CS-440 (stolen) was OK, but marginally capable of running an 18" bar. It was much better suited to the 16" bar that it left here with (for whoever stole it, if/when caught, I have something for you: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: )

Sorry for thinking out loud.

Anyhow, the CS-510 is an EXCELLENT saw, we ran it side by side with an MS-250, outpowered it at every level. The MS-250 I used was almost new, owned by my next door neighbor, so I didn't get a chance to adj the carburetor/hand sharpen the chain, it may have faired better against the 510, but as delivered it was not on par anyplace.

I ran one of our 510's the other day against our Husqvarna 55. The 55 runs a bit faster, but doesn't "grunt" quite as well. I'm very partial to the 55, it is probably the favorite saw in our line-up, light, fast, powerful, good feel to it, effortless to start, and never complains!

The 510's we have get a LOT of use, they have excellent power to weight ratios and very, very thrifty on fuel consumption. To date, durability has been perfect, no problems in any area, aside from the fact that one of them left the factory without a fuel filter on the supply hose, and required a carburetor cleaning/filter installation. I would NOT recomend a bar longer than 18", they are very, very well suited to a 16" bar, fine with an 18", anything bigger wouldn't make it.

The 670 is overrated. It came with a 24" bar, much better suited to the 20" bar that we currently have on it. Whoever thought they could run a 24" bar with that saw never did any SERIOUS cutting with it! I can compare it against our Husqvarna 268XPS, well, sort of. The 268 will outrun it at every level, at least 20 percent more power and cuts a LOT faster. I still like the 670, it's a good basic "workhorse", runs pretty fast, decent torque, it would be a really nice saw with an 18" full chisel bar/chain set-up.

We also have a variety of other Echo equipment, string trimmer, garden tiller, leaf blower. All of it is excellent, never once failed us in any way, and they see quite a bit of use.

Overall I believe the company has responded well to the current market. They have lightened up their saws, went to piston ported engines, good quaility and durability, combined with reasonable pricing. This all has helped their company to get a good foothold in the current market. My opinion, FWIW, Echo is the best choice for reasonably priced reliable saws and other equipment. If you want professional quality stuff for commercial use, step up a few hundred dollars......Cliff

Here is the only Echo I own, bought it for $25.00 and really like it (it's so......cute!)

Starts real easy and cuts good (for it's size)

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's a 280E

Got to put my two cents in and say definietely buy the Echo.
Recently compared the Stihl 440 to the Echo CS-670 and bought the Echo.
Why you ask?
Based on my expereince, it will last longer, will start after neglect and abuse, and I don't care if it weights 4.219 ounces more than the Stihl or has a quarter or half a hoursepower less than the Stihl.
It will work hard for the entire time I have her and do me right.
My expereince with Stihl in all negative.

Instead of bashing Echo's, why don't you take the cotton out of your ears, stick it in you mouth, and go try one or two Echo chain saws. You might like them.
Rich S.

Last edited:
Here is the only Echo I own, bought it for $25.00 and really like it (it's so......cute!)

Starts real easy and cuts good (for it's size)

It's a 280E
I own an Echo 3900, which they stopped making at least seven years ago or so. Until I bought my new Stihl MS 361, the Echo was the best saw I had, and it is still a good 16" general purpose limb saw. I bought it used and then tuned it up.

Yes, it has no compression release switch and has terrific compression that makes it tough to start when standing on a ladder. However, that compression means it's power is excellent and I use it all the time. Cuts like a bandit and always starts. For $100, I thought it was a good buy at the time (2002).

Why you ask?
Based on my expereince, it will last longer, will start after neglect and abuse, and I don't care if it weights 4.219 ounces more than the Stihl or has a quarter or half a hoursepower less than the Stihl.

Instead of bashing Echo's, why don't you take the cotton out of your ears, stick it in you mouth, and go try one or two Echo chain saws. You might like them.
Rich S.

And they handle nicer. Opened up the muffler on my CS6700 and it's right on the heels of my o44, 20 seconds verses 19 seconds, keep those rakers low and take advantage of that torque. Steve

Why you ask?

Rich S.

You are one of the few I know on this site that would take a 670 over a 440. Put that 670 through a real workout and let us know how it holds up. I don't need to say how the 440 holds up, it has been proven for years to be #1 of the 70cc class.

I also don't see the 670 running with a 440 but I have never touched a 670. Stock or modded, I just don't see it....

alas,

And they handle nicer. Opened up the muffler on my CS6700 and it's right on the heels of my o44, 20 seconds verses 19 seconds, keep those rakers low and take advantage of that torque. Steve

my thread a few weeks ago was about ms361 vs cs-670. i was overwelmed with the response, 'GO BUY THE STIHL'. my 361 is great and it was a good price and all. but if i knew the 670 would hang with the 044/440 plus could be gotten for around $400.00 things might have been different.

i have no regrets buying the 361 but i gotta wonder.............

volks-man,
Your thread a couple of weeks ago started in the morning and by afternoon you had made up your mind and bought whatever you wanted.
I didn't read it till later, and then really, who cared. You had already pulled the trigger. We need some time to digest and post stuff.
Rich S.

volks-man,
Your thread a couple of weeks ago started in the morning and by afternoon you had made up your mind and bought whatever you wanted.
I didn't read it till later, and then really, who cared. You had already pulled the trigger. We need some time to digest and post stuff.
Rich S.

true, except...
as i said in that thread i got a few responses and all that i had already read on the 361 was very good. so i got froggy and leaped!!! the fact that the price was very good and i got the extras was too much to resist.
but i did not get the saw that i -wanted-. i wanted a cs-670. i had been prowling ebay for weeks and checking local dealers. i called an echo dealer that was actually an hour away. he also carried stihl. thats when i got the good price and could have it that day, saturday (the echo would have been in on monday).

did i mention i'm an echo guy?

still no regrets about the 361 but i would never sell an echo short!

You are one of the few I know on this site that would take a 670 over a 440. Put that 670 through a real workout and let us know how it holds up. I don't need to say how the 440 holds up, it has been proven for years to be #1 of the 70cc class.

I also don't see the 670 running with a 440 but I have never touched a 670. Stock or modded, I just don't see it....

I love my modded CS670 but I wouldn't dream of comparing it to even a stock 440. Like comparing papayas to pineapples.

Back