Echo CS8000 experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMan1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone with real experience ( more than 1 week ) with an Echo cs8000 give me thir opinion on this saw. I've had my CS670 for over a year and love the simplicity of design, and it always started and cut well. I was thinking of keeping some satisfaction/loyalty with them. I'm one of them that places design/reliability over ounce counting. I want a big saw, and while I have owned Husky, They didn't seem to have the nice simplified deisgn of the Echo. I already know that cc for cc a Husky Stihl, or Dohlamr, revs faster and weighs some ounces less.

Troll has never run a Echo. I own A CS6700 and a Cs8000. On my 6700 I opened up the muffler and put a carb off a 8000 on it and that saw just plain rips. My 8000 wieghs the same as my 385xp and cuts a little slower than the 385 but way faster than my 044. No they don't rev as high as some but have LOTS of torgue, keep the rakers low and they cut good. Steve

Troll has never run a Echo. I own A CS6700 and a Cs8000. On my 6700 I opened up the muffler and put a carb off a 8000 on it and that saw just plain rips. My 8000 wieghs the same as my 385xp and cuts a little slower than the 385 but way faster than my 044. No they don't rev as high as some but have LOTS of torgue, keep the rakers low and they cut good. Steve

Glad you have run both. Do you think the 385 is as easy to work on and as reliable as the cs8000? If they were priced the same, which would you pick for yourself, if you didn't care about peer pressure/ridicule on internets, and you just wanted a good reliable big saw for yourself?

DanMan1, sounds like your Echo saw has been good to you and you're happy with it for your needs...good on ya. Get another one and go cut some more wood! :)

Kevin

No, I haven't - but the few specs that I have spotted (they usually don't offer power specs nowadays, and for a good reason) indicate they are about 30 years behind in that respect......:censored:

No, I haven't - but the few specs that I have spotted (they usually don't offer power specs nowadays, and for a good reason) indicate they are about 30 years behind in that respect......:censored:

sawtroll, What are the Echo's 30 years behind in, hp hype?

i've wondered about the cs8000 as well . . . i like my echos! they get sort of a bad rap on here . . . and i've not run a newer one but i like the oldies . . . the 900evl i had was a Great saw, heavy as a gunny sack full of bowling balls . . .but a torque monster . . . and then it was borrowed out, and the borrower ran it with straight gasoline . . .you know the rest of the story. anyhow i'd like to run one.

4.69kw equals 6.29hp

Ive got a couple of the cs-8000 and I like them too. Like Dan said very good torque. 80.7cc

According to this Australian Echo site the cs-8000 is rated 4.69kw (power output) which crosses over to 6.29hp.

Here is the link to the converter; http://www.wentec.com/unipower/calculators/kw_hp.asp

Hereis the link to the Australian Echo site; http://www.allpower.com.au/pages/echo_chainsaws_echo_chainsaw_-_cs8001.cfm

Echo could lighten the cs-8000 up a little. You know if you run the Echo's that they start and run no matter what. Cold, hot, rain, snow whatever they go.

Best wishes,
Bob

Ive got a couple of the cs-8000 and I like them too. Like Dan said very good torque. 80.7cc

According to this Australian Echo site the cs-8000 is rated 4.69kw (power output) which crosses over to 6.29hp.

Here is the link to the converter; http://www.wentec.com/unipower/calculators/kw_hp.asp

Hereis the link to the Australian Echo site; http://www.allpower.com.au/pages/echo_chainsaws_echo_chainsaw_-_cs8001.cfm

Echo could lighten the cs-8000 up a little. You know if you run the Echo's that they start and run no matter what. Cold, hot, rain, snow whatever they go.

Best wishes,
Bob
Terrific info. It always fascinates me how many vintage Echo owners love their saws. I guess I am one of them. No, my CS-3900 may not quite run today with a Stihl MS 230, but it never cost $500 either. Best part about it is--it always runs and cuts like a bandit.

Best wishes,
Bob

Those Aussie specs are suspiciously higher than the ones that have "leaked" out earlier - I don't trust them at all!

They have been mixing up hp numbers with kW ones in the not to far past.......

.....and they are sort of doing it again;

Look at the 6702 at that site - it says 4.25kW in the main listing, but if you go into the pdf brochure, it says 4.5hp (which probably is the truth).

Last edited:
Those Aussie specs are suspiciously higher than the ones that have "leaked" out earlier - I don't trust them at all!

They have been mixing up hp numbers with kW ones in the not to far past.......

.....and they are sort of doing it again;

Look at the 6702 at that site - it says 4.25kW in the main listing, but if you go into the pdf brochure, it says 4.5hp (which probably is the truth).
Troll you just trust the numbers that you like. I can tell you in a timed cut my 385xp would take 21 second and my CS8000 would take 23. And on a different log my o44 took 19 seconds and my CS8000 took 14 and my little gutless CS510 took 22 seconds so guess which one comes with me most often,being as I don't like to lug a lot of wieght around with me. That 510 wieghs just under 15# full of gas and oil with a 18" bar and chain. 385xp = 23# full 044 = 20# full Cs8000 = 23# full all on a good balance scale Steve

Last edited:
Troll you just trust the numbers that you like. I can tell you in a timed cut my 385xp would take 21 second and my CS8000 would take 23. And on a different log my o44 took 19 seconds and my CS8000 took 14 and my little gutless CS510 took 22 seconds so guess which one come with me most often,being as I don't like to lug a lot of wieght around with me. That 510 wieghs just under 15# full of gas and oil with a 18" bar and chain. 385xp = 23# full 044 = 20# full Cs8000 = 23# full all on a good balance scale Steve

The proof that they advertise bogus numbers on the Aussie site in right there - at the same site.......:monkey: :monkey:

Glad you have run both. Do you think the 385 is as easy to work on and as reliable as the cs8000? If they were priced the same, which would you pick for yourself, if you didn't care about peer pressure/ridicule on internets, and you just wanted a good reliable big saw for yourself?
Don't worry I don't care about peer pressure or hype, that why I own most brands and am amazed at the crap Echo gets on here when they're a well built saw that always run, have the best torque of any newer saw out today and are just as light cc for cc as the best Husky and Stihl ( except the CS8000, It could lose a pound or 2) As I said before you need to keep the rakers low and use that torque, if they're too high then it just turns into a chain speed race. If both the 385xp and the CS8000 were the same price I'd have to get the 385xp being as it cuts a little faster, same wieght and the resell would be better. Both are built good. I just bought a couple of parts saws off Ebay and got a running one for $150. Steve

Back