Edison Motors announces their pickup truck kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the point of the inspection other than to collect yet another tax on the back of the working man? All your politicians are doing is lining the state coffers and encouraging unscrupulous repair shops.

Do you folks also have the ridiculous law like Massachusetts where you cannot sell a used vehicle without providing a warranty?
It's not a tax, it's a safty inspection, and from all the un maintained stuff that comes in, brakes worn out, bald tires, lights not working, wiper blades shot, exhaust falling off, frames rotted out, leaking oil, trans fluid etc. You'll never convince me it isn't needed.
Idk what crack you're smoking, but I've never heard of any sort of mandatory warranty on a used vehicle. You keep driving your junk, and if even half of it is like the picture you posted of your kids truck, it had no business being on a public highway.

We did have yearly inspections here for years. Now you can pay for a 2 year sticker. They won't let a car on the road with a rust hole here.
Only thing they did was get rid of semi annual inspections for heavy trucks a few years ago. I'm not against the yearly inspection of passenger vehicles, most people don't know where the dips stick is to check their engine oil, or even how to put air in their tires. You expect them to keep after their brakes? Yeah, no. People are stupid and lazy.

It's not a tax, it's a safty inspection, and from all the un maintained stuff that comes in, brakes worn out, bald tires, lights not working, wiper blades shot, exhaust falling off, frames rotted out, leaking oil, trans fluid etc. You'll never convince me it isn't needed.
Idk what crack you're smoking, but I've never heard of any sort of mandatory warranty on a used vehicle. You keep driving your junk, and if even half of it is like the picture you posted of your kids truck, it had no business being on a public highway.
Well I see you woke up this morning full of insults. I will address those later.

If the inspection sticker is not a tax then who is collecting the money?

Another reason to stay the heck out of your state. Unsafe vehicles not fit to be driven on public roads.
I have yet to see rust on a vehicle make it unsafe to be driven. In 2008 or 2009 I bought a Dodge Caravan from the GSA auction. It came from salty Chicago. It only had 60,000 on it but the front of the hood was quite rusty from the daily bumper to bumper driving there. I put another 100,000 miles on it and believe it or not that darn rust never posed a single safety concern.

I'd be curious to see if vehicle crash and injury rates are higher in states that have inspections vs. those which don't. Salt state vs. no salt state might make a big difference - I don't live in a salt state and I most definitely have seen frames rusted to nothing.

Even so, when it comes to the damage caused by government oversight vs. the damage caused by idiots being idiots, 99.998% of the time I'll side with less damage being done by idiots being idiots. Even if there is more damage done by the idiots, frequently I'll still prefer that damage to the damage done by the government sticking it's nose in folk's business, and charging them for it. Vehicle inspections are definitely in this category.

I wonder how the states with intrusive inspection laws view a cracked windshield. Here I believe the law is they are fine as long as it does not obstruct the drivers view.

Been driving with a 6" crack in the top passenger corner of my windshield on my daily driver for I don't know how long. It impacts nothing, doesn't leak water. I noticed it when I was doing my once/year washing, no clue how long it had been there. I don't plan to do anything about it until and unless it spreads.

Well I see you woke up this morning full of insults. I will address those later.

If the inspection sticker is not a tax then who is collecting the money?
As much as I hate the yearly inspection here, it keeps some of the dangerous stuff off of the road.
I try to keep on top of stuff on my own vehicles but only a couple of weeks ago, I was headed to get some steel roofing and a truck pulled out of a driveway 150' in front of me, I jammed on the brakes and the pedal went to the floor and stayed there. I thought for sure I was going to clobber the fool, thank god the trailer brakes worked! I pulled off on a side road and check things over thinking I had blown a rubber line, but everything looked alright, I had a f350 that used to slide the brake material off of the metal backing plate, so figured that was what happened. Couldn't find anything drastically wrong with it except the brakes kept coming and going. I was almost to where I was going so I continued on slowly, picked up the roofing and returned home. Jacked it up and tore the thing apart to find a rear rotor had collapsed the inner ring was free floating after breaking the cooling fins. The rotor is at most two years old and less than 10k miles, I didn't measure but would guess close to half an inch thick or better, the new one wasn't a lot thicker. The road salt here really eats stuff up.

Been driving with a 6" crack in the top passenger corner of my windshield on my daily driver for I don't know how long. It impacts nothing, doesn't leak water. I noticed it when I was doing my once/year washing, no clue how long it had been there. I don't plan to do anything about it until and unless it spreads.
I remember the first time I cracked a windshield. I was on the way to work and was sweating bullets thinking the thing was going to implode. I got to work at and called a glass shop. The guy laughed and explained how windshields are made. He said has seen ones come in with a mailbox still stuck in it. I drove quite awhile with a crack after that.

Sean.

I believe I counted 11 different times in your single post above you mentioned "inspection" or a derivative of such.

That is plum flugging crazy. You see even in what you yourself called a communist state (Illinois) we do not have inspections on personal vehicles.

You folks need to go to the ballot box!

No law here requires inspections of personal vehicles UNLESS they are deemed salvage by an insurance company.
Yearly safety inspection just like here . I’ve seen some real hinky vehicles driven around in other states that don’t require a yearly or by yearly inspection.

I have never paid more than 100 dollars for title and registration in my state. Don't have to register trailers used for agriculture except for interstate use. Wood hauling with FS permit is consider ag use. Abandoned vehicles? List Vin it public records for 90 days 90 $ for title search ITS YOURS. This state has alot of vehicles abandoned on the three big reservations and there is no vehicle inspections unless it is homemade and needs a vin number. I can do just about any mod I want. Only thing you will get in harassed for is not having a real muffler that changes the direction of the exhaust flow and a spark arrestor (mostly in the woodlands) NO STRAIGHT PIPES. Minimum liability insurance is mandatory. There is a minimum chassis height. No idea what it is. Lots of lowriders, jap rocketsleds, old hod rod junkers and rat rods.

I have yet to see rust on a vehicle make it unsafe to be driven. In 2008 or 2009 I bought a Dodge Caravan from the GSA auction. It came from salty Chicago. It only had 60,000 on it but the front of the hood was quite rusty from the daily bumper to bumper driving there. I put another 100,000 miles on it and believe it or not that darn rust never posed a single safety concern.
Body rust usually isn’t considered a safety issue unless the body/bed mounts are rusted through . Frame rot makes a vehicle unsafe for road use . My Envoy is getting to the point that I’m going to scrap it when the next rot hole appears in the frame tired of patching it up . This is the lower control arm on the rear end I would say it’s dangerous . I caught it because of a clunking noise . I’ve had to do both sides so far . IMG_5317.jpegIMG_5320.jpegIMG_5321.jpeg
My 07 Dodge that isn’t used much in winter had to replace all four control arms on the front axle the frame on it is in great shape . But they cheaped out by using stamped steel I replaced them with RoughCountry arms IMG_7153.jpeg

LOL, they don't use salt on the roads here, benefits of living in the worst state. Just moved into the number 50 position. People here like to eat and that where all the salt goes. Look at a picture of our governor and you will understand...Prices of road salt are to high and take away all her free givaway programs. We use sand, lots of that here

Edison has changed the details on their website. Now cost is projected to be 1/3rd to 1/2 the cost of a new truck. Prototype done in Sept 2024, production mid 2025.

Debating the pre-order now. Still a huge price variance, and I guess that's what I'm debating. If the kit price is in the $12-15k range and I can DIY install, I'm in, and I bet he sells bundles and makes millions. If kit price is $25k and I have to pay to have another shop do the work on top of that, I'm out, and I'd bet it'll be a moot point as most people will opt out as well. Going to be tough, retail on a 150hp CAT generator is in the $12-15k range alone.

It's also only $250, and I've happily burned way more than that on way dumber stuff than this. Reservation is transferable too, so might be able to get my money back out if I decide not to.

If I could I'd put money down on one and when the final details come out, if I wasn't happy, I'd probably invest the $250 into the company.

Edison has changed the details on their website. Now cost is projected to be 1/3rd to 1/2 the cost of a new truck. Prototype done in Sept 2024, production mid 2025.

Debating the pre-order now. Still a huge price variance, and I guess that's what I'm debating. If the kit price is in the $12-15k range and I can DIY install, I'm in, and I bet he sells bundles and makes millions. If kit price is $25k and I have to pay to have another shop do the work on top of that, I'm out, and I'd bet it'll be a moot point as most people will opt out as well. Going to be tough, retail on a 150hp CAT generator is in the $12-15k range alone.

It's also only $250, and I've happily burned way more than that on way dumber stuff than this. Reservation is transferable too, so might be able to get my money back out if I decide not to.
Try Siemens.com. They supply a lot of motor and driveline all the way to the variable speed controls. They have been doing electro motives for a long time. Just a suggestion I haven't researched it much. Orange county choppers built a elecric chopper with Siemans equipment a few years back.for the company.

Back