EFCO/John Deere/Cub Cadet maybe the most under appreciated saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
Haven't been on in a long time/health issues/ almost at the point of remission and back at helping the son's woodcutting business.
I bought a JD CS 156 last year when they were a bargain, we've cut over a 140 cords since then. This is what I've discovered about the saw:
Bone Stock no mods, still using oem 20" bar and woodland pro semi chisel chain, I've tached it at WOT no load 13,300 , 12.1 lbs 4.1 hp according to mfg specs
Extremely good saw, there is hardly any noticeable difference between it and the muffler modded 361, in fact my son will pick it up and use it before using the 361, he thinks it has better ergonomics and handles better
It is an outstanding wood cutting and limbing saw. We have found no faults with the exception of putting grease around the base of the nylon filter to seal it better. The saw has excellent throttle response and pulls well all the way through the cut. It took eight or ten tanks for the saw to come alive.
We run 91 octane and stihl synthetic oil in all of our saws. This saw is a fuel sipper compared to the Stihls. On paper it's comparable to the Dolmar 5105, 5100s, Husky 359 and only a weight disadvantage to the 346.
We're going to change it over from a .325 chain to a 3/8 and put a 18" bar on it so we can run the same chain as we run on all our other saws as we run 18" 3/8" on our 361,038,032. It should have no issue pulling the snot out of it. Amazon has this saw at 299.99 right now in cub cadet trim with free shipping. We use the heck out of our saws and this one has held up just as good as the Stihls, we blow out the Stihl's air filters every night after use, we blow out the John Deere's filter once a week, it's that much cleaner.
For those looking for a firewood/trim saw this one will definitely stand up to everyday, professional use. We haven't had any maint issues with saw other than keeping the chain sharp, flipping the bar, just top off the oil and gas and cut.

A chainsaw carver who is my good friend, gave me a JD CS-52. I went through the saw, gave it a thorough check, put on a 16" bar and chain, gassed it up, and she runs like a top, gave it to my brother in law and he loves it. Said it is the best saw he ever had. I ran it some and I agree it is a very nice handling saw.

I'd think twice or 3 times about switching to 3/8 chain. My Cub Cadet with 3/8 cuts about the same speed as my 50cc saw with 325, I'd be willing to bet it would improve quite a bit with 325. My 56cc Cub does't get much use as my 50cc saw cuts just as fast and weights 2# less. Steve

earlier this year i bought a open box husky rancher 455 for $309.

i have been running it some and it is an OK saw but certainly not zippy like my 575 shindaiwa--and the shindaiwa is pulling a "grown-ups" size chain.

i wish i had held out for the cub-cadet 56cc job amazon is selling instead. i hear they run good and will take well to a little tuning.

the small chain teeth do cut faster. way back in the day my dad had some 630 & 670 J-reds set up with some of that small toothed stuff- 22 inch roller bars and i think and stepped up sprocket. super quick to cut. the thinner bars saved a little weight. the only problems were the thin bars were prone to getting bent, the chains were constantly getting broke and the killer was the bars,chains and sprockets lifespan was awful short on the logging job. so he went back to standard stuff.

i wonder if i could put the small toothed chain on my 575 shindaiwa?--LOL!

back to the subject--yea the cub-cadet efco 56cc is a good deal of saw for not too much $$

when i get another 56cc saw that is what i'll be looking at --that is if i don't find another shindaiwa first.

Latest posts

Back