Eggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean, how long do you keep your eggs?
We've always washed (hand scrubbed and rinsed) ours and never had any issues, not one.
They last a long, long time.
We had a fine poultry breeder here that used to put eggs in the fridge until she had enough to put it the incubator. I thought it was odd but she did it her entire life and passsed at around age 90.

I am averaging 12 eggs a day with 17 hens on a little scratch, but they are let out to free range at mid day
I have Dominique or as we call them here Domineckers Excellent forgers lay all year, but are very broody
You have to stay on top of them to keep them from setting. 5 hens are about 2 years old 12 are 10 months old.

That was a hilarious tale, Bill. 👍

Funniest part is, I can see myself doing the same things.
My neighbor did the same thing, except he wasn't paying attention and his wife said their turkey was over 50#. They had to split in in half just to get it into the oven. Same guy didn't pay attention to the time when he was raising a few pigs. Called the slaughter house and they couldnt' get him in for another month. The hogs were right around 300# bu the time he got them in. Plus he didn't change the feed, and he said when they cooked the bacon they didn't get a teaspoon of fat from it.

Both of my Americana roosters have huge spurs. They must be over 3'' long. The oldest had broken one off so he only has one. He is mean as a rooster can be. I'll catch him after dark and measure his spurs.
On a different note. We all have been hearing about the feed issue that is said to make hens stop laying. I have been using Producer's Pride scratch grains from TS for years. Then my hens stopped laying. I thought it was there age that caused them to quit laying. I bought some Purina laying pellets last month and my hens started laying again. So there may be something to the rumors as people have said.
View attachment 1065286
When you catch that rooster, take you a pair of pliers and grab that spur by the tip and give it a twist. That spur will twist right off. Spurs that long can cause serious injury and have been responsible for several deaths of humans.

When you catch that rooster, take you a pair of pliers and grab that spur by the tip and give it a twist. That spur will twist right off. Spurs that long can cause serious injury and have been responsible for several deaths of humans.
I'm gonna see how long they will get. I may un arm the old mean roo but the other one is not mean at all.

Looks like they are about 3 and 3/4'' if you count the curve they have.
As you can see they are pretty dull. No sharp point at all.

IMG_5544.JPG
IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG
IMG_5541.JPG

You might try these guys: https://www.cacklehatchery.com/
Lebanon, Mo. they sell zillions of chicks. We get ducks from them in a number of varieties.
I cannot comment on the chickens they sell, though.

They have a pretty cool store to visit, too. We often visit when the family goes to the dentist there. It's a long drive to the dentist from KC, but he's a great dentist.
That is the hatchery I used last year, I ordered dark egg layer variety surplus. Figured I’d order 10 cause I’ve never had chickens before and figured I loose a few. Chicks were healthy and alert, didn’t loose any. They threw in a 11th bird so I got the rooster. They could have kept him and it would have been alright. I want to say the bill was like $85 with the shipping and tax. I was pleased with them and the fact they did send a variety, I got four different breeds. I decided that I would build a Turkey house and run so I ordered six turkeys of the heritage variety surplus from cackle. I really only wanted three or four so I figured I’d loose a couple poults. I had read that turkeys were a little more difficult to keep alive for the first week or so. I got three royal palms and three black slate. I would have liked to get bronze or bourbons instead of the palms. Didn’t loose any poults and now I have six birds that my wife didn’t really like at first but she’s come around cause of their personalities. I really like them and wish I had gotten turkeys in the past instead of Guinea’s or ducks when I tried raising birds before. Cackle’s prices do seem high compared to going to TSC with shipping and tax, but I had a good experience with them and would rather order from them than give TSC my money. I realize not everyone has a good experience ordering birds through the mail or likes the prices. Just wanted to share my experience with cackle.

Those are terrible stories - but far from the norm. A 76 year old lady and a man with a heart condition on the heels of fighting cancer....
Not very smart being around one with no defense. I always made my kids wear their barn boots and carry a walking stick when going into the coop. The stick hung at the door to the run. Be prepared, not scared.
Caution must be exercised with all animals. Pigs, cows, horses can all have bad days and put a hurting on you if you aren't always on alert when around them. A lot can be gleaned just by watching an animals body language. Even dogs can be unpredictable.....lots of injuries and even deaths come at the hands of dogs each year.

Those are terrible stories - but far from the norm. A 76 year old lady and a man with a heart condition on the heels of fighting cancer....
Not very smart being around one with no defense. I always made my kids wear their barn boots and carry a walking stick when going into the coop. The stick hung at the door to the run. Be prepared, not scared.
Caution must be exercised with all animals. Pigs, cows, horses can all have bad days and put a hurting on you if you aren't always on alert when around them. A lot can be gleaned just by watching an animals body language. Even dogs can be unpredictable.....lots of injuries and even deaths come at the hands of dogs each year.
Not going to argue your points as you are right on. I believe in eliminating dangers before they become problems. Getting spurred by a rooster is painfil even if not life threating. Removing the spurs is easy enough to do and also eliminates the hens losing so many feathers and back sores from the rooster mating.

My neighbor did the same thing, except he wasn't paying attention and his wife said their turkey was over 50#. They had to split in in half just to get it into the oven. Same guy didn't pay attention to the time when he was raising a few pigs. Called the slaughter house and they couldnt' get him in for another month. The hogs were right around 300# bu the time he got them in. Plus he didn't change the feed, and he said when they cooked the bacon they didn't get a teaspoon of fat from it.
The market weights on hogs have chained greatly over the years. About 40 years ago we used to sell at 220-240lbs. As the years went by the desired weight range inched up. When the the market crashed in 1997 and hit $0.07 we were selling at the 240-260lb range. Today a 300lb market hog is not uncommon. When my youngest son wanted to show hogs I had to re-educate myself and boy had things changed. He was showing hogs in the 300lb range. As for the biggest we had, there were two. We had ole "Gentle Ben" who was a herd boar. When we took him in he weighed 840lbs. It was not long after that we took a old Landrace sow in and she tipped the scales at 860lbs. I have a feeling they both went to Pizza Hut as back then that is where a lot of the old fatties went.

Of all the things in life that can kill me, a chicken is not going to even make the list of my concerns. :D I have been kicked, bitten, and attacked by countless farm animals and not once did a chicken ever even worry me the slightest. An ole 2000lb bull, now that worries me. Getting hit at full speed by a 750lb heifer, that left a mark, bad mark. It turned a white boy half black.

Back