Eggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aaw cute 5 new chicks to 1st time chook mum, white black grey & 2 yellows

thumbnail_IMG_0471.jpg

This one will be called Stripe, & hopfully a her as no need for more roosters in this hen house
thumbnail_IMG_0476.jpg

As much as I like the idea, that's just not an option for many of us. I can see the nasty grams about the mini silo from the township already. Lol.
I guess I am lost. What does your township have to do with anything? Why do they matter? You own the land I assume.

I guess I am lost. What does your township have to do with anything? Why do they matter? You own the land I assume.
So I'm still zoned agg from way back, but they have a provision written about light or hobby farming on less then 5 acres. Basically I'm not allowed to have a mini farm, and I'm pushing it with the number of chickens I have right now. I can see them pitching a fit if I got a mini silo.

I dont think a gravity wagon would be a good fit for most of us. I dont think it would be feasible to store 165 bu of feed for just a handfull of chickens. My chinese grinder is rated for 30bu a hr, dont know if it will actually grind that much, but I seldom do more than 50lbs at a time. As a matter of fact, I have never ground more than 50lbs at any time. I dont know of anybody around here that owns such a wagon anyways, or at least I havent seen any.

As for my little test of letting my chickens run wild. I had to kick them out of the house yesterday, but when it started getting dark, they all sort of gathered up at the door and ran inside when I approached to close the door. That was my biggest concern. This morning I opened the door and they all headed outside, albeit timid. They are all wandering around right now. I got one egg yesterday in the nest box and dont see any laying around anywhere. One egg has been par for the course most of the time anyways. I'll give them a few days to adjust to the new conditions before I make any conclusions as to productivity.

I dont think a gravity wagon would be a good fit for most of us. I dont think it would be feasible to store 165 bu of feed for just a handfull of chickens. My chinese grinder is rated for 30bu a hr, dont know if it will actually grind that much, but I seldom do more than 50lbs at a time. As a matter of fact, I have never ground more than 50lbs at any time. I dont know of anybody around here that owns such a wagon anyways, or at least I havent seen any.

As for my little test of letting my chickens run wild. I had to kick them out of the house yesterday, but when it started getting dark, they all sort of gathered up at the door and ran inside when I approached to close the door. That was my biggest concern. This morning I opened the door and they all headed outside, albeit timid. They are all wandering around right now. I got one egg yesterday in the nest box and dont see any laying around anywhere. One egg has been par for the course most of the time anyways. I'll give them a few days to adjust to the new conditions before I make any conclusions as to productivity.
Give them a week or so, our girls wouldn't even go in the grass for a while. Now they want out as soon as the sun cracks, and file themselves back into the coop near sundown. It's quite comical to watch. About an hour or so before sunset they migrate into their run then slowly into the coop.

So I'm still zoned agg from way back, but they have a provision written about light or hobby farming on less then 5 acres. Basically I'm not allowed to have a mini farm, and I'm pushing it with the number of chickens I have right now. I can see them pitching a fit if I got a mini silo.
There is no doubt laws are different there. I figured you had more ground than that. We have 5-15-40 acre provisions here. You cannot put a house on less 5 acres, 15 acres, or 40 acres being zoned AG-1. The difference between the 5-15-40 is location. I have 160 acres where all three apply and the neighboring 80 I rent all three apply to. If you are top of the bluff it is 5 acres. It you crack over the top and on are on the side it is 15 acres. Once you are at the bottom it is 40 acres. The funny thing is anyone buying 40 acres at the base is throwing money away as they can never build a home there since that would be behind the levee thus a flood plain.

Illinois has a 1/4 mile rule on CAFO's. I am still trying to put up a hog finisher but it will be close to the 1280' mark.

Well you do not have to fill it. You can put 500lbs in it, it will not complain. :laugh:

There is no doubt laws are different there. I figured you had more ground than that. We have 5-15-40 acre provisions here. You cannot put a house on less 5 acres, 15 acres, or 40 acres being zoned AG-1. The difference between the 5-15-40 is location. I have 160 acres where all three apply and the neighboring 80 I rent all three apply to. If you are top of the bluff it is 5 acres. It you crack over the top and on are on the side it is 15 acres. Once you are at the bottom it is 40 acres. The funny thing is anyone buying 40 acres at the base is throwing money away as they can never build a home there since that would be behind the levee thus a flood plain.

Illinois has a 1/4 mile rule on CAFO's. I am still trying to put up a hog finisher but it will be close to the 1280' mark.
I'm just grandfathered into agg. My property used to be part of a 15 acre plot, for whatever reason in the 70's they subdivided the house off and a little 70 foot wide strip between my property and the neighbors property. I'd very much like to buy it from the current owner, but he's an odd duck. Can't say anything nicer about him, so I'll leave that mess be.

I'm just grandfathered into agg. My property used to be part of a 15 acre plot, for whatever reason in the 70's they subdivided the house off and a little 70 foot wide strip between my property and the neighbors property. I'd very much like to buy it from the current owner, but he's an odd duck. Can't say anything nicer about him, so I'll leave that mess be.
If you bought a small bulk bin do you think the objection is based on it being considered a structure? If so I will post a picture of a small portable one. They are terribly expensive though which defeats the entire purpose. Here years ago the tax assessor was hammering folks on structures. They could not hammer you though if it was portable. There were a lot of unique "portable" structures created.

1678217801034.png

I can put 350 lbs in a 55 gal barrel.
Yes you can. I can you missed this.........

Well then that is not an "open bag" mill. What I am talking about is a mill that will grind and mix to your specifications. Most bag it in open top old feed bags but some have hand sewing machines to close the bag. Think of an open feed bag with feed in it. You tell them what you want and they grind and mix it. There are no labels. For years I would get 1000lbs of nursery feed and the bags were from horse feed, cattle pellets, heck dog food. If you have a way to handle them you can also have them put it in plastic drums.

Yes you can. I can you missed this.........
Didnt miss it, You also have to have a way to handle your gravity feeder and someplace to park it, and some way to keep it covered. You also missed the part when I said I seldom, if ever, buy more than 50 lbs at a time. My point is the gravity feeders might not be the right choice for someone that only has 10 or 20 chickens and buying by the bag probably isnt the best methind for someone raiseing 1000 chickens. Why do you always want to debate nonsensical statements. Your superiority complex is making you look foolish.

Didnt miss it, You also have to have a way to handle your gravity feeder and someplace to park it, and some way to keep it covered. You also missed the part when I said I seldom, if ever, buy more than 50 lbs at a time. My point is the gravity feeders might not be the right choice for someone that only has 10 or 20 chickens and buying by the bag probably isnt the best methind for someone raiseing 1000 chickens. Why do you always want to debate nonsensical statements. Your superiority complex is making you look foolish.

What nonsensical statement did I make?

No one is debating you. You are trying to start a fight where no fight exists. I am sorry if you do not understand that. Not everyone is like you nor are they like me. I have provided various options to those that do not want to buy 50lbs of feed a week. At no point did I ever say any of my suggested options would work for anyone. They are simply just options. It is apparent that they will not work for you. That is fine so there is no need for you to worry about it. You know what works for you and that is great. Stick with it. Other folks are a bit more open-minded and will consider alternatives that may save them some money, time, and get a better product. This is an informational thread for folks to share information from all parts of the USA and world. We are all different but can all learn from each other.

Well, I bought 50lbs of feed this morning. I put it in my little wagon,
1678401748942.png

and rolled it to my storage shed. Scooped out a bucket full and filled the 5gl feeder. My chickens are good for a week. I parked the wagon in the shed until next time. My little cart might not hold what one of those drop feeders hold, I think its rated for 1600lbs, I dont know if it would hold 500lbs of feed without it spilling out, but it suits my needs. Dont need a tractor to move it either, altho its made to tow behind my lawn mower.

On another note, chickens been running loose for almost a week now, got one egg yesterday, and I had one egg in the nest today when I filled the feeder. Patience is running thin.

What nonsensical statement did I make?
This>

No one is debating you. You are trying to start a fight where no fight exists.
. You stated you can get feed loaded in a barrel, I simply said I can load 350lbs in a barrel. You then made it like I didnt read or see what you had written about getting feed in a barrel as if you thought that it was important that everybody knew you had mentioned using a barrel first.

At no point did I ever say any of my suggested options would work for anyone.
Neither did I, I simply stated that for folks just raising a few birds in their back yard, a drop feeder and buying huge quantities of feed at a time probably isnt the best option. You really need to get over trying to one up everyone and trying to prove you are right and everybody else is wrong.

This>

. You stated you can get feed loaded in a barrel, I simply said I can load 350lbs in a barrel. You then made it like I didnt read or see what you had written about getting feed in a barrel as if you thought that it was important that everybody knew you had mentioned using a barrel first.

Neither did I, I simply stated that for folks just raising a few birds in their back yard, a drop feeder and buying huge quantities of feed at a time probably isnt the best option. You really need to get over trying to one up everyone and trying to prove you are right and everybody else is wrong.
You bethcha. :laugh: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back