EHP 7900 w/36" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats awsome 60% would be grosse,local stihl dealer caid i would lose reliability,to be honest when i started out on my own i had a 242 new zealand pine saw for climbing it reved its brains out,i got it rebuilt and spent 500 on it i still have it but when it gets hot it stalls then wont even fire on next pulls, was just to unreliable,was more tired from pulling it over than doing the tree.started using 262,268,394 thought they were great but got sick of them. i just find the stihls better everyday and i think there more durable.ill have to get a p/p saw and see for my self

Most of the Huskies take to modifications somewhat better than most of the Stihls, or so the story goes.  It's probably because, more than anything, the amount of transfer volume the current Huskies have with four tracts.  The newer Stihls now have "quad ports" as well.  Another factor is how tight the saw's wound from the factory.  More can always be got out of a motor, but some of the factory saws leave less to easily get.  Your biggest gains will be gotten by letting the thing exhale with less restriction.

I still say that if the engineers felt more power could be had with less weight for an amount of reliability they're willing to stand behind, we'd see it from the factory.  In other words, I'm kind of in agreement, in principle, with your mechanic.  That being said and having run some of Dan Henry's saws, well, they do put a big old crap-eating grin on your face.

You must have someone a lot closer to home than the States who can do the work for you.  It's not exactly rocket science or anything, though it is something that generally has to have a bit of time investment as well as friendly predecessors to help with some particulars.  Most everyone here who does such work are good and generous folk that way.

Glen

As far as for me , the husky and the stihl are the same, you just have to use different engine numbers on different motors, the stihl is every bit as fast as a husky with the same motor cc, I am talking pro models for both,

Originally posted by ehp
As far as for me , the husky and the stihl are the same, you just have to use different engine numbers on different motors, the stihl is every bit as fast as a husky with the same motor cc, I am talking pro models for both,
That's good to hear.  But both lag behind the Dolmar?  Or is it a three way tie per cc?

Glen

no if you are asking is the 460, 372/385 the same as the 7900 the answer would be no , I have a fast 460 here and it would be as fast as any real good 372 but the 7900 is just faster , there is no two ways to put it but the 7900 has more power than the rest an alot more torque , when you can take a 7900 and but a 10 tooth gear on it and it cuts like hell , that takes torque

Here's Babcocks 7900 ehp, but now that he's into wirlybirds, I guess I can hang onto it for a while longer. Although I still favour my 385 this saw is a fast little devil and is constructed well in every way. When I have cut a few woodlots with it, then I can come up with a fair evaluation. The power to weight ratio is about as best as it gets.
John

Hey Jarod, check this out! It's a fast one for sure. Ed said he'll bump it up even more, but I don't really want to part with it yet.
John

Nice over the top cut

Hello John,
Thats a nice over the top cut you did John. I got 3.9 seconds off your video. your just getting better and better, watch out dennis there's a new faller in town.
ken

John,
Looks great. you are just starting to see what that 7900 can do. After a month or so, it will break in. They run really well and hold up under the workload.
Your cuts sure are getting faster. YOu might even have the guys out west getting nervous.
Cant wait till I make my north of the border run again to bring you your loot and goods. Maybe I can convince one of you to take me to that GOOD fishing pond.
HUnter

Well lookie here I found the Duchemans house. Nice Package

trailer%20001.jpg

Gypo them dawgs are not doing you much good on there with that little bar, Hunter i caught around 40 pink salmon today, no king's so came home early,you get up here and i will take you fishing or hunting something,

Hi Ed, that was just an exhibition cut to show off the dogs. The 7900 is still trying to nip my 385LL, so I will try a 9 pin today.
Barky, send that pic to Doug or Blacksmith and have him manipulate it for us. It needs some decals saying " Roadies and Toadies."
Frank's Planks

Here's the Dolmar cutting a 25" Pine with a 24" Cannon bar, but the bar was slightly bent, hence it hung up slightly in the cut, but it has my best work chain on it. This thing has power!
Jarod, Blabcock isn't getting his saw back, so I paypaled you the denero to paypal him back the $ he paypaled you.
John

John,
I dont know what money you are talking about. YOu will have to take that up with babcock. The extra funds you sent me will cover the refund you owe me on 088LL you built for me, since it took nine months to get.
Other than that, you made some nice cuts. Looks like I need to send you a straight bar. I have 28" and 30" in .050 and the 34" and 36" in .063.
Let me know
Hunter

Hi Jarod, your 088LL is coming along just fine, sorry about the wait, but the saws to much fun to part with yet. Babcock says the 7900 ehp looks too scary and he's peltless enough as it is so I'll take it off his hands as it is too hot to handle seeing you stole that tractor trailor of Dolmars and all.
Regardless, check out your 088 running 36RS workchain off the Silvey.
John

Looks good john. If you only were as tall as me and weighted as much as me you could really lean on that thing. I dont think I will be too scared of it.
Hunter

Hi Jarod, you will note I had to stand on 6 cookies to make that cut, but I would have to dig a 12" trench in front of the log just so you could cut over. That would be a good movie. When I made that cut I wasn't sure if I was carrying the saw, or the saw was carrying me.
John

Back