Electric Hand Planers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnut33

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've used floor sanders, planes, and cabinet scrapers to surface bigger slabs and I have also seen the router planer jigs. But has anyone tried electric hand planers? If so what brands and what is your experience with their chipout and knife life? Thanks.

I use one to level large areas quickly. They still tear out expecially if there is any figure or Knots. I'd say they have their place in the shop. You should try an angle grinder also. I have a 7 inch grinder and in the right hands it can do a pretty good job. In the end a router sled can level better than both. It really depends on what your building and for whom.

+1

They are good for bulk removal, maybe flattening out a cupped board, but not really much help in final finish.

They are great smoothing an edge of a rough cut board though. Also they make quick work carving paddles.

I have a Makita that must be 15 years old, gone through 3-4 sets of blades but most times due to hitting something.

Just a little tip. Make sure your not wearing any baggy clothes and tuck your shirt in. I've had one of these things for years and at some point complacency had set in. One day I was planing a peice of wood and my shirt got stuck in it and in stead of cutting my shirt it grabbed it and sucked it in to it. It got wrapped around about 6 times before it stopped. I consider them a pretty dangerous tool. They have a trigger lock. I think that is the just asking for disaster. Imagine if I had the trigger lock on that day my shirt got caught. Be careful.

Yep, they would be nasty on fingers, also need to watch how you set them down, too easy to cut the cord or dull cutters. Best to let them stop spinning first.

Yep, they would be nasty on fingers, also need to watch how you set them down, too easy to cut the cord or dull cutters. Best to let them stop spinning first.

Mine has a little pop out plastic heel that let's me put it down while it is still spinning.

I reckon I've messed up more good wood than I have flattened with it. The blades also don't last very long on Aussie hardwoods so about the only thing I use mine for is for trimming the tops off doors when fitting the doors.

Mine has a little pop out plastic heel that let's me put it down while it is still spinning.

I reckon I've messed up more good wood than I have flattened with it. The blades also don't last very long on Aussie hardwoods so about the only thing I use mine for is for trimming the tops off doors when fitting the doors.

lol Same here. Nice slab I just use a d/a 40 grit set of winding sticks.

As a carpenter, I really like them. Mostly for edges though without the full 3 1/4" engaged. If you need to make full cuts keep the depth shallow. I have worn out one Dewalt, have another Dewalt, a Bosch and a Porter Cable currently. I have not had the Bosch all that long, it's ok. I hate the Porter Cable because of the obnoxious fit with my hand. If I had to use it alot my finger would get sore due to poor design/ergonomics. I really like the Dewalt, fits and cuts well and blade changes are simple and foolproof. And it comes in a metal box as opposed to plastic.

Lots of deep, full head cuts will kill any of them though, they are not good for hoggin.

I've got a Makita N1900b, and I like it. It is good at taking off the dirty surface layer before putting a nicer tool to your wood, and to take out really uneven warps, bulges etc. Even at the finest cut, it is hard to get a really nice surface because I find that one side of the blade or the other ends up a bit deeper than the other. It works well for doors, and chamfering trim too.

You really have to be carefull with them, however. Mine ate it's own power cord in a rather dramatic display, and just a reminder... sparks and plane shavings are not a really good combination.

I've got carbide blades in mine so they do alright, but when they dull, you will notice as it takes more force to use the tool.

The Makita is really designed for right handed folks, as the chip discharge is on the right of the tool, but some mfrs make units that discharge either way.

Chip out depends mostly on the grain. With really new cutters, it isn't bad, but some use, and some wild grain or spalted wood will result in some tear out.

I like mine, but sometimes I prefer a scrub plane, just for the appeal of wood workinginstead of power tool using.

This tool more then any other makes my excretory opening at the end of the alimentary canal tighten up enough to produce diamonds from coal!!!

Do you not like the jig/router process?

Scott B

Well being that Im still in college and have taken over my parent's garage, I dont have the room to make a huge router sled because im so tight on space. I do love the idea of it though and it seems to work for most. But at the moment I just need a faster way to flatten 20" + slabs. (Got a 20" planer at my job on campus). Im thinking these things would be good for the majority of the work and then I can hit it with a floorsander to finish it.

The router sled can be set up in a backyard with a stout set of saw horses. Planing time would only take about an hour or so on a 20" slab . If done right you will have machined it pool table flat and handle the slab twice. Onto the jig and off. I then finish with a couple of flat sheet sanders like the one in the center foreground.
2311277640105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back