Electric Log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeyman13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
At Princess Auto (CDN retail store) they have an electronic log splitter, it is rated at 5 tones and running at 120v... 20 inch length max and about 10-15 inch diameter max... $250.00 would the 5 tones pressure be enough to do what I need it to...

I typically cut and split about 6-10 cords a year and nothing much bigger than the 10 inch diameter limit... any feedback would be great..

xxx.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm?UM=1&CTRY=CAN&OUTPUT=OSN

I say, don't waste your time or money! I never tried one, but from your description, everything you work with is small enough to bust with a maul. I saw the video, and I love the picture of the 20something guy splitting a stick(that's right, a stick), on ebay where I see lots of them for sale. How long do you think it took that guy to figure out it was a waste?:chainsaw:

Now: Ready, Fire, Aim

I say, don't waste your time or money! I never tried one, but from your description, everything you work with is small enough to bust with a maul. I saw the video, and I love the picture of the 20something guy splitting a stick(that's right, a stick), on ebay where I see lots of them for sale. How long do you think it took that guy to figure out it was a waste?:chainsaw:

Now wait one minute. Heated with wood, 2 stoves in a +/- 1600 ft² home, for 7 years in this place we built ourselves Downeast. We use 5-6 cords per year cut in our woodlot.
Now listen: 95% of the butts from 5" to 22" are split with a DR 4 ton electric splitter. Species: mostly red maple (tough grain), red oak, birches, some ash.
We had a loud, smelly, heavy, high maintenance gas splitter originally, then got the oh so tiny and quiet and low maintenance and easy to use DR splitter. The 5 % that the tiny tiny un-macho electric splitter won't do, I do by Monster Maul, wedges, and loud swearing. No noise, no fumes, no fussing with the carb and plugs, no fuel....just plug the tiny baby in, and go to town.
And, I can listen to tunes, and even sing with the oh so quiet electric tiny splitter.
Try it.
Ready, fire, aim.:newbie:

That's the first positive report I've heard on those things!

Thanks for passing that on. Gotta hear both sides.

A friend of mine had one and it worked awhile but was basically junk, I think made in China. It should be possible to build a good one but I don't know who does.

My $0.02 worth

Evidently Dr. Splitter made a good one! I agree that 5 tons will split most stuff. Now as for the power supply of choice (electric motor vs. gas engine) I have a few opinions on. with regard to home owner splitting his own wood.

A electric is going to be less maint. but is also going to be slower, and not as powerful. That is not going to change as there is a limit on the power that you can draw from a standard wall outlet. If they designed a machine that plugged in where your electric range.... (get that one past the missus:hmm3grin2orange: ) and you might have something.

As for the foul smelling, hard to maintain, won't start expensive to feed gas engine... Remember that the chainsaw is more fickle than the splitter.
Oh, and then I have to haul it in the pickup to get it home.

Now if the saw was a electric plugged into a electric tree (Christmas?) and the truck was either a hybrid, or maybe just a horse and wagon :deadhorse: then you might have a point. Until then I will feed the Briggs and split wood.

-Pat

Dr Splitter Update

Evidently Dr. Splitter made a good one! I agree that 5 tons will split most stuff. Now as for the power supply of choice (electric motor vs. gas engine) I have a few opinions on. with regard to home owner splitting his own wood.

A electric is going to be less maint. but is also going to be slower, and not as powerful. That is not going to change as there is a limit on the power that you can draw from a standard wall outlet. If they designed a machine that plugged in where your electric range.... (get that one past the missus:hmm3grin2orange: ) and you might have something.

As for the foul smelling, hard to maintain, won't start expensive to feed gas engine... Remember that the chainsaw is more fickle than the splitter.
Oh, and then I have to haul it in the pickup to get it home.

-Pat

Now now: enough with this "homeowner" crappola :blob2: . Some are more pro than some of the self annointed "pros" called by Mrs. Macho. :fart:
We use tools cause they do what we need, the way we want. You want speed, do it. If you're selling the wood that's a whole other ball game.
Don't know about those other electric splitters, but the DR was or is made in Italy in models up to 12 ton capacity. Read the lips: NO maintenance. Plugs into a 110v , regular outlet, you know what that is ?:rock: . Power comes from a simple motor (think vacuum cleaner, but bigger) that drives hydraulics (think front end loader). That's where the power derives. So: 6 years, no problems. Plug it in, split, sing, hear birds, smell flowers. What a life.
I want noise, I go to the range.
And when my professional grade :rockn: Stihls get:bang: "fickle", I'll eat the chains. Oh, forgot, they don't have bumpers.
What's this about horse s__t ?:taped: Whew............

How about a compromise? Check out the splitter in the thread below (post #12).

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=44407

Electric powered however much faster and more powerful than the little hydraulics (DR, Ryobi, etc.) and less amperage required (only 3/4 hp. run with std 15 amp, 110V circuit). More noise when actually splitting but none otherwise. No fluids at all! Minimum maintenance (clean and grease with very occasional belt and chain tightening).

Cool

How about a compromise? Check out the splitter in the thread below (post #12).

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=44407

Electric powered however much faster and more powerful than the little hydraulics (DR, Ryobi, etc.) and less amperage required (only 3/4 hp. run with std 15 amp, 110V circuit). More noise when actually splitting but none otherwise. No fluids at all! Minimum maintenance (clean and grease with very occasional belt and chain tightening).

Damn, I want one.:rock: Got schematics, a plan, or make one ? :rockn:
That is no compromise.....that is some machine !!:yoyo:

Jackhammer

Anyone ever try to use a jackhammer to split rounds? Sounds like how that one works. I would think the hammer would want to jump off the round since it is not solid like concrete. Cool idea!

Plugs into a 110v , regular outlet, you know what that is ?:rock: . Power comes from a simple motor (think vacuum cleaner, but bigger) that drives hydraulics (think front end loader). That's where the power derives. So: 6 years, no problems. Plug it in, split, sing, hear birds, smell flowers. What a life.
I want noise, I go to the range.
And when my professional grade :rockn: Stihls get:bang: "fickle", I'll eat the chains. Oh, forgot, they don't have bumpers.
What's this about horse s__t ?:taped: Whew............

I run Stihl saws too :rockn: . As for a regular outlet, I do know what that is. Out at my shop it is connected to my 1.5KW Mil Spec generator. Unless I need more juice (6.5 onan). I am off the grid.

As for no maintenance, that is a universal motor. There are brushes in there, but the gas engine would have already worn out by then!

Go for the jack hammer machine. I read the thread on that awhile ago. Cool idea. Anyway....

I would not even mind (considered building one) having a small electric here at the house for this little stove.

:blob2: -Pat

Reply to Logbutcher

Logbutcher, I have had amazingly good reaction to this machine from many quarters. I also have all the drawings as I never make anything without drawing it first. However I think this project is way beyond most people’s ability to make at home from scratch.

I don’t think it is a huge stretch to start a business around this machine except for the marketing part. As with any business, the marketing part is the hardest. I retired 10 months ago but I am not one to retire anyway. Stay tuned and maybe you can buy one someday.

Marketing 101

Logbutcher, I have had amazingly good reaction to this machine from many quarters. I also have all the drawings as I never make anything without drawing it first. However I think this project is way beyond most people’s ability to make at home from scratch.

I don’t think it is a huge stretch to start a business around this machine except for the marketing part. As with any business, the marketing part is the hardest. I retired 10 months ago but I am not one to retire anyway. Stay tuned and maybe you can buy one someday.

Nobody retires until the end anyhow...not to worry.
From the experience of starting software businesses, here goes.
1. Look at your market: what are you really selling? Who is your end-user ? DR (Vermont Country Products) has found the niche for them. Quality products and service at premium prices for people with land to work part time. The DR catalogs are a marketer's dream.
2. Can you patent or copyright your design ? Check it out with a good patent attorney.
3. Is the design unique enough. Any others come close ?
4. Sell the design (and idea) to a company that's has the savvy, like DR, Bailey's, etc..... Do you really want to peddle your stuff ? Ain't a picnic dealing with buyers.
5. Make a chee-whiz prototype to bring to prospective resellers. Or, outsource the build to a shop that does finish machinery.
6. If you want to stay small and at-home, how about making a "kit" for sale?

The above is just the tip of a huge iceberg. Others here will chime in with much more.
Remember however, there just are not that many serious wood burners, or many wood burners that process their own wood. Think of 1000's rather than 10's of thousands. On this kind of site you'd think the whole world was online. As an example, the DR Electric splitters are small, marketed mostly to those splitting for fun, or only a couple of cords. I got one to try out since I was sick of the maintenance, noise, fumes, moving around, and weight of our gas splitter. We've pushed that little DR splitter well beyond its design capacity for about 6 years now, splitting 5-7 cords/year. But the price point is set so that the 10's of thousands would buy one "for fun".

Great concept. Don't let it slide. :bowdown:
Lead, follow, or get out of the way ( NOT Iacocca's motto ! )

Logbutcher,

Thanks for your advice and insight. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

1. What are you really selling? Who is the end user?

a. I’m thinking the person like you who is fed up with the maintenance of a hydraulic machine (oil and filter changes, seal leaks, hose breaks, engine maintenance, etc) yet splits say 4 plus cords a year. You are definitely eating up time with your DR. I see the DR for 0-2 cords a year. It is pretty slow for 5-7 cords.

b. Those that want a splitter like an 8 hp hydraulic but want to split in a garage or barn.

c. Those that hate the drone of a 8 hp gas engine all day long.

d. Those that want a fast splitter. With the change of a sprocket and chain the speed can be varied almost infinitely. At 10 "hits" a second it does not take long to break a log therefore the cycle time can be very fast.

e. Also if I were to get some market traction with users, the Rental companies would like this concept as they are very maintenance averse (cannot rent if you have to maintain and maintenance is costly).

2 & 3. It is patented and therefore unique.

4. Could sell to a DR, MTD etc but they aren’t going to pay much for an unproven (in the market) design. I need to start marketing to get them to "see the value". Also if I were to start marketing I think I would keep marketing.

5. Chee-whiz prototype is under construction and will be finished in June/July. Us retired people have nothing to do anyway, right?

6. A kit is a real possibility. The assembly part is quite simple and straightforward.

One other issue is cost. Hydraulic components are made by the millions mostly in China. This machine has many unique components (read low production quantities). This could lead to a relatively high market price compared to hydraulics. I think Supersplit has the same issue. However the advantages to some folks will outweigh the possible price disadvantage.

Thanks again for taking the time.

You're On Your Way !!

Logbutcher,

Thanks for your advice and insight. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

1. What are you really selling? Who is the end user?

a. I’m thinking the person like you who is fed up with the maintenance of a hydraulic machine (oil and filter changes, seal leaks, hose breaks, engine maintenance, etc) yet splits say 4 plus cords a year. You are definitely eating up time with your DR. I see the DR for 0-2 cords a year. It is pretty slow for 5-7 cords.

b. Those that want a splitter like an 8 hp hydraulic but want to split in a garage or barn.

c. Those that hate the drone of a 8 hp gas engine all day long.

d. Those that want a fast splitter. With the change of a sprocket and chain the speed can be varied almost infinitely. At 10 "hits" a second it does not take long to break a log therefore the cycle time can be very fast.

e. Also if I were to get some market traction with users, the Rental companies would like this concept as they are very maintenance averse (cannot rent if you have to maintain and maintenance is costly).

2 & 3. It is patented and therefore unique.

4. Could sell to a DR, MTD etc but they aren’t going to pay much for an unproven (in the market) design. I need to start marketing to get them to "see the value". Also if I were to start marketing I think I would keep marketing.

5. Chee-whiz prototype is under construction and will be finished in June/July. Us retired people have nothing to do anyway, right?

6. A kit is a real possibility. The assembly part is quite simple and straightforward.

One other issue is cost. Hydraulic components are made by the millions mostly in China. This machine has many unique components (read low production quantities). This could lead to a relatively high market price compared to hydraulics. I think Supersplit has the same issue. However the advantages to some folks will outweigh the possible price disadvantage.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Hey, thanks to you, not moi. You are the brains here.
Be sure to always think "QUALITY". It works every time. Forget cost, think value to the end user, no matter how many in your market.
In this site you've already got the "enthusiasts" ( an early Apple term). Try it out here as a kind of focus group.
Small: go with a kit market.
Bigger: sell it to a DR kind of company. Better for you long term for royalties, for gain. Then go on to you next thing.
This retirement thing is busy, but fun. Huh ?

log splitter

hi mate
new to this so here we go iv,e got a 7 ton splitter got it a week ago of ebay and its brill splitt 4 ton of oak fron 18" long to 12" thick in a day.only thing i would say is put another log behind small logs when splitting as it takes a long time for ram to push oterwise.
hope this helps wilburdog1 :newbie:

Latest posts

Back