Electric Motor on Splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Currently in the process of gathering enough material to build a log splitter.
My current splitter is gas powered and I'm seriously considering using a 7-10 hp electric motor on this one.I Have a 30x30 metal building that I use for a wood shed with my splitter sitting inside,so i'm always out of the weather when I'm splitting.
I cut my rounds and load them on a trailer and back trailer up to shed and split and stack from there.
Anyone ever tried this???

Check the farm adds to see if you can find an old silo unloader motor there are a lot of them around that are not being used any more. They are in the 4 to 6 horse range and might be just the ticket. If you find an old unloader and junk it out it might be really cheap as well.

Let us know how this goes. I would love to have an electric splitter. It would be so nice and quiet to run. I might even give up the mauls if I could have one of them to use.

Korey

My father build an electric splitter 35+ years ago. It is still running strong and we run it in all weather. It is nice because you can run it inside, plug in a stereo and don't need hearing protection. I believe it is only a 1hp motor but its not the motors you get today. It runs with 8hp gas equivalent splitters easily. I'll have to dig up some pics of it.

I Have a two stage pump that I intended to use,Also have a nearly new 5 horsepower 220 volt motor on hand.One big advantage I have is the fact that my uncle owns a hydraulic,machine shop and has eagerly volunteered to help me get this thing working.Hopefully I can get some good cycle times with what I have,May take some experimenting to get it right..

Will post some picks and maybe a video when I have it running.

I just got done with my splitter (home built) with a 5hp 220volt 3500 rpm electric motor.That is the key a 3500 rpm cause the 2 stage pump need the rpm for the rated gallons.I put a 2 stage mte pump 16 gallon at 500 psi 5 gallon at 2500 psi,which all works great and i can split all day long in my shop where its 50 degrees instead of 15 degrees outside.I am going to post some pictures of it when i get time it has a log lift and a table to catch the wood.

I.m okay with the motor I have because it is a 3450 rpm
Also how well does the 5 hp do with the 16 gpm pump.
what is your cycle time?

Man I have a million questions to ask.

As far as cycle time i would have to time it, but remember it goes faster tell it gets to the log and returning from the split cause of the 2 stage pump.Also i have a 4" bore cylinder with a 30" stroke so i could split longer logs for my shop wood stove which is 48" long.That in turn will slow the cycle time if you let it return all the way,which i do on long logs but pull the control out of detent for short logs to shorten cycle times.If i guessed on cycle time with my long cylinder all the way out and back i would say 15 to 20 seconds on the wet wood im splitting rt now.Probably 10 to 15 secons on the dry stuff i tried.I will see if i can figure out how to add the 3 pictures i have to my profile (note the pictures i have dont show most of my hydralic unit or the log table i added)but i will add some tomorrow if i get home before its dark cause my splitter is outside now waiting to go to my father-inlaws.Also the 5hp motor works great with the 16 gallom pump cant even tell there is a load on the motor.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a 5hp single phase motor will draw approx. 28 amps at 230 volts and a 10hp will require 50 amps. Double those numbers for 110v.

Years ago, my father and his buddies built a monster splitter with a two stage pump that ran an eight horse motor that I salvaged from a roadside snowblower. This thing was a beast but, my father, who I used to call " mr badwrench" was never good with gas powered machines. One day I stopped by to see that he had removed the gas motor and put the one from his old tablesaw in it's place. He used it that way for years and when he stopped splitting, I grabbed the motor to run my wood lathe. I do not know the Hp but, it worked well.

Latest posts

Back