elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you know I got some standing dead a weak ago. The rounds are starting to check already. Can I wait till Jan or Feb? Or will that be screwing myself? I hate doing that.

Try some now. Try some in a few weeks. Try some mid winter, etc. You'll find out what works with your elm in your location.

Me, I know sweetgum and elm suck, I like to wait until the bark is falling off easy. And with those species, if I can fit it in the stove, it is small enough..heh

stihly dan,

You should be fine to wait.
The clock starts ticking as soon as it becomes rounds, me leaving them 3 months before splitting no trouble, leaving them for 1 year and they were awful to split.
After 3 months I find the checks start to close and that's when the easy window of splitting elm passes, well easy for elm LOL
A nice cold Jan day will be perfect for you to split, elm at it's easiest and frozen to make it real easy.

stihly dan,

You should be fine to wait.
The clock starts ticking as soon as it becomes rounds, me leaving them 3 months before splitting no trouble, leaving them for 1 year and they were awful to split.
After 3 months I find the checks start to close and that's when the easy window of splitting elm passes, well easy for elm LOL
A nice cold Jan day will be perfect for you to split, elm at it's easiest and frozen to make it real easy.

Thanks for the reply, I did not want to make 1 of the hardest splitting woods harder.

Back