Englander furnace is almost ready to light

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHDiesel73L

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought my 28-3500 three years ago used-I think it had been used for two or three winters before that. All of the gaskets needed replacing and the first two years of sitting in the basement without a dehumidifier took its toll on the finish. I also may have gotten a little carried away with some locust a time or two which caused some of the paint to deteriorate on the front :msp_tongue: Before pics:

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

After pics with all new gaskets, clean glass, and a rattle can high heat paint job:

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

Once I clean the chimney this weekend I'll finally be ready!

I love mine and this is will be the first year heating full time with it. Last year the house wasnt done and we didnt live here yet and only lit a fire while we were working on the house.

I love mine and this is will be the first year heating full time with it. Last year the house wasnt done and we didnt live here yet and only lit a fire while we were working on the house.

You won't be disappointed. They're not efficient but they throw some heat. I heat my 1200 SF ranch with about 5 cords per winter, but I'm heating the entire house evenly which I could never do with a regular stove.

That looks great... What do you use for a circulating fan?

The unit comes equipped with it's own blower-you can see the filter box enclosing it in the top photo and the 3rd one down. It's adequate, but I've looked into possibly getting a larger one that would provide more CFM. What I typically do is get a fire going and let the thermostat on the blower (it's set to kick on when the temps in the jacket reach about 215 degrees) do its thing. This of course circulates warm air into the house, but again, the blower is not as large as the blower on my oil furnace. Once the ducts are good and full of warm air I'll turn the oil furnace thermostat to "FAN ON" to push that warm air out of the ducts and into the house. That tends to take the chill off very quickly. As a side note, the filter box did not come with the unit-I actually picked it up on clearance at Tractor Supply. It's made by US Stove for their Hotblast furnaces which are basically the same idea. The Englander is just a hair wider than a Hotblast so I had to hog out the mounting holes with a drill to make it fit. Now I'm not pulling in dirty air from the basement which helps my wife's allergies immensely. It takes a standard 16x20 furnace filter. The other nice thing about the Englander furnace is that it throws a lot of radiant heat into the basement as well. The furnace sits in my shop area, but the other half is finished with a partition wall separating the two areas. There is an open doorway in the wall which allows heat to flow through so its never cold in the winter. Plus I find that once the furnace has been burning for a while it creates a nice "thermal mass" in the basement and the heat just rises through the house even after the fire has gone out. Again, it's not the most efficient unit in the world, but for the money it can't be beat-and I got mine used for $300!

:bowdown: thanks for the info.. I think this is the route my wife and i are going in the next place.. I'm sick of these Nat gas thieves up here..

Luv mine

Will be starting my third season. I heat the entire house by dumping the heat into the basement.
As the house is wired for electric heat (back when the rate was 2 1/2 cents a KWH) there is no duct work .
I installed a runner to direct the heat up the stairwell and it helped a lot and heating the floors keeps it comfortable.
It was brutal cold last winter and it was underware weather upstairs. Went through seven cord of not the best firewood.
This year, I've fired it up a dozen times already using pine and other junk wood just to kill the chill.
Only problem so far is one cracked brick in the right wall and I'm not gonna replace it.
If this furnace blew up and melted into a blob of scrap, I would replace it in a heartbeat.

Birch, the other white wood.

I bought my 28-3500 three years ago used-I think it had been used for two or three winters before that. All of the gaskets needed replacing and the first two years of sitting in the basement without a dehumidifier took its toll on the finish. I also may have gotten a little carried away with some locust a time or two which caused some of the paint to deteriorate on the front :msp_tongue: Before pics:

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

After pics with all new gaskets, clean glass, and a rattle can high heat paint job:

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

Once I clean the chimney this weekend I'll finally be ready!
Does anyone know of a wood furnace that can feed a forced hot water heating system?

I also have a england 28 3500 and heat the whole 1875 sq. ft. house with it. Think I turned on the distbution fan once with it so far the heat radiating from the center of the base ment and thru the ducts keeps the houses coldest room NW corner at a 75 all winter.
I love it the best buy I have made in many years to heat the house.

Al

Back