Ethanol Laced Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabmaster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I would rather get 10% less gas for the same money than have it laced with 10% ethanol.What's your thoughts on that.:mad:

What's wrong with alcohol? Tune accordingly and enjoy a free oxidizer.

I would rather get 10% less gas for the same money than have it laced with 10% ethanol.What's your thoughts on that.:mad:

I've been using it for 20+ years in cars. Everything I feed from a portable gas can gets straight gas because alcohol blended fuels have poor long term storage properties.

So:
Cars that get driven regularly = yes
Mower, saws, generators, trimmers, etc = no

Last edited:
What's wrong with alcohol? Tune accordingly and enjoy a free oxidizer.

+1+1... Alchohol burns much cooler and cleaner than fuel! Why do you think "ALOT" of race engines run on " ALKY"... The only downside to alky is that it is very corrosive. but only 10% mixes don't matter. When you run hardcore alky... you have to run a lubricant through the engine to keep parts from corroding.

I've been using it for 20+ years in cars. Everything I feed from a portable gas can gets straight gas because alcohol blended fuels have poor long term storage properties.

So:
Cars that get driven regularly = yes
Mower, saws, generators, trimmers, etc = no

And just where do you get your "straight" gas from??? 100% of pumps in my neck of the woods are 10%

And just where do you get your "straight" gas from??? 100% of pumps in my neck of the woods are 10%

If you can't run out a gallon of gas in 2 weeks, you had better trade your chainsaws for hand saws, weed eater for hand scissors, and your generator for a few hamsters and a wheel.

If you want real gas, go to the airport.

Any fuel jobber should be able to get you conventional gas(no alcohol) you may have to buy 400-500 gallons to get him to due it for you though.Another place to look is your local farm co-ops

So far, we have that choice. I'm in Iowa where the corn grows for a lot of this alcohol and initially there was a tax break for blended fuel to encourage its use over the standard no-lead. I dunno if the tax break is still in place but 10% blended fuel remains a dime under regular no lead.

I use it voluntarily in my cars but I would be all kinds of pi$$ed if I didn't have the choice even though my use of standard no lead is very small.

My Chevy truck drops from 21 MPG to 17 with that watered down crap. And at todays gas prices that does not make me a happy camper. I can no longer find real gasoline.

The city I work for still buys straight gas. Salesman doesnt know how much longer we will be able to get it. Im not sure why we buy it but I like it I can leave equipment sit around 6 months and it starts right up.:)

I now see the 10% added on almost all the pumps I use. Just wondering if anyone knows how long ago this became the norm?

Adam

I think it's disgusting that agricultural land should be turned over to fuel production anyway. What a waste.

About ethanol

The addition of 10% ethanol does not result in 10% reduction in fuel economy, actual difference in heat content between 100% gasoline and 10% ethanol blend is around 2%. DOE study showed that cars running between 20 and 40% ethanol blend actually achieved better mileage.

Ethanol blend does not store a long at straight gasoline as the ethanol can/will absorb some water.

Ethanol, particularly with some water can be rather corrosive so use caution when leaving it in OPE etc. that will be setting for long periods (I lost a McCulloch 200 many years ago as the stuff simply corroded the tank full of holes). We have had the choice of ethanol or not for years here in Iowa and I always use it in my cars and trucks but try to avoid it for the other equipment that does not get used regularly. I probably have drive 500,000 miles using ethanol blend and other than the fuel pump in my '72 VW squareback, no fue related issues whatsoever.

Pete M - Production of ethanol only uses the starch from the corn (wheat, barley, etc) and all of the protein is still available, commonly used for cattle and other livestock feeds. Who should decide what farmers are allowed to produce and who they get to sell their products to? Take a serious look at the current price run ups on commodoties and you will find that petroleum, not bio fuel production is the real price driver.

Mark

Last edited:
I have heard that the ethanol in fuel breaks down the oil mix in 2 strokes which would not be good for lubrication.Also it is not suppost to be used for marine applications as it can cause fuel system failure.There must be a reason they don't use it in aircraft also as they're fuel doesn't have it.I'm just not happy with not having a choice at the pump:censored: Just like when they took away leaded gas,which i needed for my older cars and tractors.They seem to be finding more ways to rip us off these days.:censored:

Last edited:
The addition of 10% ethanol does not result in 10% reduction in fuel economy, actual difference in heat content between 100% gasoline and 10% ethanol blend is around 2%. DOE study showed that cars running between 20 and 40% ethanol blend actually achieved better mileage.

Mark

Well, maybe that is what they made the statistics appear to say, but my own vehicles show about 10% decrease in mileage with the :censored: 10% ethanol gasoline. I've tracked my MPG for many years. Likewise, "they" say that higher than 87 octane is a waste in most modern vehicles, but the vehicles that I've checked actually got higher MPG with 89 octane, and more than enough to justify the difference in price.

Don't believe all of the reports that you read, because the statistics are often skewed to reflect the writers' agenda.:censored:

Latest posts

Back