Ethonal free gasoline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked out the ethanol free stations link state by state and noticed all pumps in Alaska are ethanol free and no other state has that destinction. Any ideas why?:confused2:

Wild guess..so many airplanes? A lot of guys have converted their airplanes to run on car pump fuel, and no way do planes use ethanol ever.

Maybe another guess, it is so cold there, maybe alky fuel is harder to start or something?

edit: I just looked. State law banning it supposedly, and because of snowmobiles, too much problems with alky fuel and sleds there, and sleds are sorta important there..

Last edited:
Don't know how new of equipment you would have to get to run ethanol. I bought my craftsman lawn tractor last year, 2011, and it is not rated for ethanol. Maybe you have to get a 2012???or newer?

Man, this ethanol-free gas thing is funny.

I guess there are two different state mentalities about ethanol…
There are the states that make it… ant there are the states that make you use it… LOL

Here in Iowa, where we make ethanol on the tax-payer dime, it’s possible to buy ethanol-free gas at near every pump… and every pump dispensing ethanol blended fuel (1% or greater) must be labeled by state law. Pumps will have two or three grades available, 87 octane non-ethanol, and 89 octane ethanol-blend, and if there’s a third it will be 91-93 octane (depending) and may or may not contain ethanol but will be labeled if it does.

The cheapest, of course, due to the government subsidies is the 89 octane ethanol-blend, but the 87 non-ethanol is just s few pennies more. I run the 87 octane in all my vehicles and small 4-cycle engines without issue… 2-cycle engines get 91 octane ethanol-free purchased at the local Hy-Vee (groceries) gas station and it runs 15-25 cents higher than the 89. The 10-12 gallons I store long-term (6-12 months depending) for the back-up generator is also the 91 octane I treat with fuel stabilizer.

What a mess. I have a few small airports close by so I can get the 100LL gas. Is the Av fuel that much better than just ethanol free gasoline?

One thing that really has upset me is people expect others to just tell the truth. Well that just ain't so. I've always wondered who benefits from a lie. I read a lot of scripture and find what I read and what I'm told just don't go together. So somebody is lieing and I know it sure nuff ain't the bible. So I figure the lier is the benefactor. That brings in NASCAR. During the races they talk about the great results in going to the ethanol mixture. But the whole story they don't tell. The run a higher octane, get fresh fuel before each race and never race gas that sits in the tank like ours will. I think it's a total charade. Some get the profit while the rest get the shaft.

Don't know how new of equipment you would have to get to run ethanol. I bought my craftsman lawn tractor last year, 2011, and it is not rated for ethanol. Maybe you have to get a 2012???or newer?

That's just weird. The few small engine things I have gotten new the past few years all said 10% ethanol max, but I still won't use alky gas. That was a small husky saw, larger echo, and a tanaka trimmer. Haven't gotten a new mower or four stroke device for a long time so can't say, buy used here for those.

Actually, craftsman is being smart there, helping to avoid warranty issues. Smart for them, smart for the customer.

startron fuel additive seems to work really well my saw sat for a few months without running time to get it out so I check the fuel in the can and the saw they were both still good to go made a beleiver out of me my repair man got me on it

Most marinas in the midwest carry e-free.

Funny thing is the other places that frequently carry it are the co-ops and such that serve the farmers.

Quite the dog wagging if you ask me, the grain lobbys push for more e in our gas, but want the e-free for their use?

I use 110 Sunoco leaded. Overkill? perhaps, but they are my saws and no worrys here.

You will find that places like marinas and Alaska where life could depend on the reliability of your engine running or not, they have the exception for not using the government forced unreliable ethanol. If you really dig in there and research the ethanol issues your eyes will be wide open in short order. If your state took obuma money for da kumoonity reinvestment act your state is also required to "MANDATE 15% Ethanol fuels" where as before it was voluntary and only 10%. Many engines state right on them that they need adjustments to run ethanol. Just like the arctic cat snowmobiles had a switch on the dash to richen the ECU for ethanol. Now it is detected by knock sensors and auto adjust, unless you have a non-EFI engine.

Goto Star-tron and read all of the articles they have on ethanol issues, many are bulletins right from manufacturers warnings, void warranty, etc. I will see if I can post some pix of tests we have done recently.

Everyone here is familiar with the reliability of a Honda commercial generator, well we had a slew of them go down this year, some are over 20 years old and have never needed a "repair", just normal maintenance. A simple carb cleaning revealed some serious corn chunkin in the bowl & jets

Don't forget about your local race shops sells real fuel

In my area you can get it it gallon cans or five gallon cans :msp_smile:

Most new race fuels have ethanol , except gtx I think its 260 98 octane nascar wont authourise the use of corn gas as of yet . Cam 2 has ethanol in it , so does turbo blue . I looked into it go to sunocos race fuels online I was showed by a fuel rep .

Most marinas in the midwest carry e-free.

Funny thing is the other places that frequently carry it are the co-ops and such that serve the farmers.

Quite the dog wagging if you ask me, the grain lobbys push for more e in our gas, but want the e-free for their use?

I use 110 Sunoco leaded. Overkill? perhaps, but they are my saws and no worrys here.

Yep, hypocritical. They ought to mandate nothing BUT corn gas in those big corn lobby states, see how them boys like that stuff. Heck, make 'em try to run e85 all the time in everything that uses gas. They want to push corn gas on everyone, make 'em eat their own dogfood then!

If NASCAR is not using corn gas then they are lieing over the TV during races. That's incredible.:msp_thumbdn:

Most new race fuels have ethanol , except gtx I think its 260 98 octane nascar wont authourise the use of corn gas as of yet . Cam 2 has ethanol in it , so does turbo blue . I looked into it go to sunocos race fuels online I was showed by a fuel rep .

Go to a race shop and ask; cage karts in my area run non-ethanol fuel sure it cost a little more but you get the higher octane

The one in my area is called Speedmart they handle sprint car; minisprint and cage kart stuff; you can google Speedmart and see what they have if they were open today (sunday) I would call them I did a few weeks ago and ask this vary same question and there fuel doesnt have ethanol in it.

Methanol is there biggest seller in racing fuel in sprint cars and minisprints (1200 and 600's) and the Jr sprints (single cyclinders 120cc) use the fuel Im talking about (ethanol free) :msp_thumbup:

We dont have cart gas shops here

We only have sunoco brands sold at different speed shops . Everything carried is sunoco from turbo blue to cam 2 , gtx 260 is what I was informed by two different shops that nascar uses and imports to the tracks and there is two types of gtx one ethanated one not the latter is specified for use of nascar . If im not mistaken it even states its use on the sunoco race fuels page . If we had cart gas suppliers i would definately check them out . I know I was shocked to find out they used the crap in cam 2 115 octane . I think gtx 260 is 98 octane the one with ethanol was higher octane.

We only have sunoco brands sold at different speed shops . Everything carried is sunoco from turbo blue to cam 2 , gtx 260 is what I was informed by two different shops that nascar uses and imports to the tracks and there is two types of gtx one ethanated one not the latter is specified for use of nascar . If im not mistaken it even states its use on the sunoco race fuels page . If we had cart gas suppliers i would definately check them out . I know I was shocked to find out they used the crap in cam 2 115 octane . I think gtx 260 is 98 octane the one with ethanol was higher octane.

Edit upon researching fhe page it states as sanctioning organization , the fuel rep told me that nascar runs this one in particular

Sunoco® 260 GTX™ is an unleaded racing fuel that contains no oxygenates and no metallic additives. 260 GTX is a good fuel for many applications that need more detonation protection than typical street gas provides, yet cannot use a leaded fuel. It has been shown to produce repeatable power levels in small block V8 engines to 12:1 compression ratio, and will tolerate more compression in engines with smaller or more efficient combustion chambers.

260 GTX is not a street legal fuel and is for off-road use only. However, it will not harm sensors such as oxygen sensors used in fuel injection systems. It is also an excellent choice where oxygenates such as alcohols and ethers are limited or banned by the engine manufacturer or sanctioning organization.

Sunoco 260 GTX contains additives to enhance shelf life and engine cleanliness. However, as with any gasoline, it should be stored in opaque, tightly sealed containers where the temperature is stable. Handled under such conditions, the shelf life of 260 GTX is in excess of 2 years.

Ethanol and Corn Prices

40% of the entire USA corn crop is now going into the production of ethanol. That demand has jacked up corn prices to anywhere from $6 to $8 a bushel. Food prices have jumped right along with it.

What else would you have expected?

So if corn is doing to small engines what it's doing, and I would guess large too if it sat very long, why is this stuff being forced on the public. Is the corn lobby that strong. Or is a kickback that large?

10% ethanol is OK in daily driver cars and trucks, that's it. I've reported before and will continue about the local lawn, garden, and Stihl dealer who routinely checks alcohol content in problem engines. He has found 20%, 30%, and at least one 40% ethanol in 2-cycle engines. If you think 10% is bad imagine the carnage that the higher levels will cause.

So if corn is doing to small engines what it's doing, and I would guess large too if it sat very long, why is this stuff being forced on the public. Is the corn lobby that strong. Or is a kickback that large?

The fuel companies get a rebate for every gallon used . And it does gain in the tanks 10 % isnt real its more like 20% being found in every tank . Maryland has seen jumps in ethanol contents to double . It has a tendency to pocket in the tanks . The reason this goes on is because until the public is aware of the harmful effects of it the benefits are outweighing the risk. This green energy movement is crap we're forced to accept because someone thought its beneficial to all of us. Last time I checked though we all breathe the same air , so if the rest of the world hasnt changed whats the benefit.

It's real tough to even call this green with a straight face.

There was some environmental aspect to it -- as an oxygenator in certain densely populated states, but oxygenating fuels is a technologically obsolete thing to do. You needed it for carbeutors, not computer controlled fuel injected and oxygen sensing engines.

It's almost entirely corporate welfare, with some of that covered up as being farm welfare.

And we're all the losers for it. But hey, Archers Daniel Midland and Cargill, along with a bunch of other companies, get to laugh all the way to the bank.

Latest posts

Back