evening saw maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please do the saw shop thing here. Even part time would be good. I know there is a person with the same last name as mine doing a bit, but I hate to bother him. We could have saved some gas when getting parts for Twinkle if there was a place here, or even in Morton.

Please do the saw shop thing here. Even part time would be good. I know there is a person with the same last name as mine doing a bit, but I hate to bother him. We could have saved some gas when getting parts for Twinkle if there was a place here, or even in Morton.

Didn't there used to be a saw shop in Morton? I thoughts Woods or somebody had a place there? Maybe it's time for my meds:rolleyes2:

Didn't there used to be a saw shop in Morton? I thoughts Woods or somebody had a place there? Maybe it's time for my meds:rolleyes2:

Your thinking is on but just a little out of date. Woods moved from Morton 2-3 years ago. There is no saw shop per se in eastern Lewis county anymore. Woods now operates out of Longview from just the one shop. They have a nice facility there. Jack Perkins, the guy who ran the Morton shop for years, still takes care of the loggers in the east end. He lives in Mossyrock so is able to bring rigging up here to most of the loggers.

I like to sit down at the end of the day and take the bar off, run the hook through the rails, file some burrs, poke in and around the clutch area with the tuning screw driver for a minute, brush the dust off the foam, check for tight nuts and bolts, put an edge on the chain and put her to bed. .
If I succeed in landing some work out west, I will probably buy a grinder and do everything at home. Cutting timber in VA is pretty nonchalant compared to out west. Hammer is a model faller compared to most guys around there(imo). once I was doin some end of the day saw maintenance and the skidder driver greasing his skidder said,"its a saw, it's supposed to be dirty" in a ####ty kind of way. I asked him why they didn't sell them that way, no response. . That is the usual attitude:(

OK, Bud, here's your T shirt. I was digging through some old Stihl memorabilia the other day when I came upon this shirt. I thought of you and your handle and figured you'd appreciate it. The 056 was a bread and butter saw for quite some time. I really liked running them. We used to hop them up and pull 42" bars with them no problem.

Good thread! Yep I pretty much agree, do all the same things. Usually grind every night when I'm on the saw though. I usually put my filters in the washing machine with my work clothes. This only works in camp or with a very understanding wife though! lol.

NW Axeman: I've used those Barshops! They are the ticket! I've also made gas/oil racks in my crummies to keep the jugs away from saws and other gear. Works pretty good!.

Hey, Coastal.
Here's a pic of my barshop I was talking about. I put in on wheels so I can store it in a corner when I'm done. Does a great job and as far as I'm concerned, it's irreplaceable. Thought you might like to take a look as you're on the short list.

Hey, Coastal.
Here's a pic of my barshop I was talking about. I put in on wheels so I can store it in a corner when I'm done. Does a great job and as far as I'm concerned, it's irreplaceable. Thought you might like to take a look as you're on the short list.

Oops! Technical challenge here. Try this one.

Oops! Technical challenge here. Try this one.

Awesome!!! If you ever sell I'll come down and pick it up, that way we can have a good chin wag too!

I agree, they are irreplacable. Great idea to put it on wheels too! The one I used to use was right in the middle of the fallers marshalling shack. When not in use it served as a coffee table or on Fridays a pizza and beer table! lol

Your thinking is on but just a little out of date. Woods moved from Morton 2-3 years ago. There is no saw shop per se in eastern Lewis county anymore. Woods now operates out of Longview from just the one shop. They have a nice facility there. Jack Perkins, the guy who ran the Morton shop for years, still takes care of the loggers in the east end. He lives in Mossyrock so is able to bring rigging up here to most of the loggers.

They also have a shop in Sedro Woolley

OK, Bud, here's your T shirt. I was digging through some old Stihl memorabilia the other day when I came upon this shirt. I thought of you and your handle and figured you'd appreciate it. The 056 was a bread and butter saw for quite some time. I really liked running them. We used to hop them up and pull 42" bars with them no problem.

Nice shirt!!, Yea, the first saw I bought was an old beaten up 056 super. Obviously it left an imprint. Then one summer the clutch blew up and the "tree work" guy I was working for took it home to fix it. Never saw it or him again.

Nice shirt!!, Yea, the first saw I bought was an old beaten up 056 super. Obviously it left an imprint. Then one summer the clutch blew up and the "tree work" guy I was working for took it home to fix it. Never saw it or him again.

Bummer! One thing a guy has to be very careful about is who takes home your saw. I'll lend mine out once in a while to one or two trustworthy souls but generally have a hard time parting with them.
Reminds me of a time when I lent the first 066 that hit the states. It was given to me by the people at Stihl, Inc in 90. I had been using it and giving them feedback on it so when it came time to give it up they decided to just give it to me.
Anyway, I lent it to this "trustworthy" gentleman to use to cut some bigger firewood. That nite he came to the door and said "where do you want me to put it?" I said to put it in the back of my pickup. When I went out the next morning to put it away I saw that it was a new saw. I called him and asked him what had happened as there was a saw with all new parts on it. He went on to exclaim that he had to back up the pickup to get it closer to his wood pile. As he was backing up the pickup came to a stop. Probably just a piece of wood, he thought. So, just give it the gas. He did and backed up over his "piece of wood." Turns out it was my saw. He went down and bought me a brand new 066 as it broke the main case and couldn't be repaired. Now, I had just about wore out that saw and was keeping it for a spare. I told him that I felt really bad about it as it was an older used up saw. He said to me, "Johnny, if it makes you feel that bad, just go bang your head against a rock. You'll feel better."
I really picked a good one to lend my saw to that time. Not sure how many of my "trustworthy" friends would have done that.
I've attached a pic of a fir that I fell using an 056 Magnum. We had a whole grove of them in this sale. This one was I believe 9 or 9 1/2' in diameter. As someone said in another thread, the "silver days" of logging.
All I have now is a bunch of 056 parts. Every once in a while I'll see one for sale.

That was a good friend for sure.
One of the few times I ever loaned a saw turned out kind of the same way. A friend of mine had had a bad winter, no work, sick kids...you know the story. He had to hock his saws so I loaned him an 064 to start the season with. It was a backup backup saw, pretty beat but it ran okay.
I didn't see him 'til fall and he never mentioned the saw. That winter he showed up at my place with the saw...shiny and new looking and completely gone through by our local good saw shop. It looked and ran just like a new one.
I asked him if he wanted to borrow my pickup. :msp_biggrin:

That was a good friend for sure.
One of the few times I ever loaned a saw turned out kind of the same way. A friend of mine had had a bad winter, no work, sick kids...you know the story. He had to hock his saws so I loaned him an 064 to start the season with. It was a backup backup saw, pretty beat but it ran okay.
I didn't see him 'til fall and he never mentioned the saw. That winter he showed up at my place with the saw...shiny and new looking and completely gone through by our local good saw shop. It looked and ran just like a new one.
I asked him if he wanted to borrow my pickup. :msp_biggrin:
Those kind of guys are indeed few and far between.
I hate to borrow tools from someone but if I do, I always think back to how this gentleman treated me and am resolved to do the same no matter the cost. Some things are just worth doing no matter the cost. There are things like reputation that you just can't put a monetary price on. No matter what, you still have to get out of bed with yourself.

Those kind of guys are indeed few and far between.
I hate to borrow tools from someone but if I do, I always think back to how this gentleman treated me and am resolved to do the same no matter the cost. Some things are just worth doing no matter the cost. There are things like reputation that you just can't put a monetary price on. No matter what, you still have to get out of bed with yourself.

Yup.

Awesome pic NW!

Yeah, I have a hard time lending any of my stuff out. It never comes back the same way even if it seems like nothing is wrong. The few and far between are still out there though!

This is a good thread and wroth digging up. I found it on a search looking for advise on bar rail closers.

Back