fair pay for 16 year old son.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of having him cut and split wood to sell. He learns the value of money, gets some exercise, and gets experience in a valuable trade (at least it is in my opinion) which will benefit him greatly in his life. He will learn about supply and demand, dealing with people/customers, and hopefully gain the insight of no work= no money.
In terms of CPS, to %#&* with them. A spanking for bad behavior is far from child abuse. I appreciate the way I was brought up, and I feel that it has given me an edge on life over pampered spoiled people.

chores = no pay

above and beyond = pay

My 2 older kids mow by push (not power driven) mower our 1 acre lot. I pay them $3 each because it's more than just a chore to me.

But making heat for the house is a chore.

I'm with you bro.

KRS

When I was young and living at home we had to help out with the misc. work around home, wood, pickin stones, cut the grass, shovel the drive/lane after snowfalls, fixing things (my old man is a mechanic and very handy jack of all trades) whatever he was doing we had to do our share. After a certain amount of help he would release us to go do as we wanted or allow us to use their vehicle. I did not get paid an allowance or hourly, but I learned lots of life skills that way for free even.

As well I played hockey and they paid the fees, equipment, gas, etc... I had dirt bikes and snowmobiles and again they paid for the bikes, gas etc... I had new clothes once and awhile as well and they bought.

A couple times I thought I would rather not help, and well that was a two way street man and I learned that lesson real quick! Things were pretty good if I helped as asked and needed, and as others said I used the warm air in the house, ate the food from the garden, used the lawn etc...

A few times I would help without asking or do a job by myself I knew needed done and if I did the job right I would maybe get some spending cash, but did not expect as it wasn't standard but was certainly appreciated!

When I got older and worked outside the home, my parents would give me rides to work if at all possible and when I had enough money, I bought a car, insured it with my own money put my own gas in it and when I had saved money I threw a stereo in it. My father also showed me that paybacks work both ways as well he spent hours helping me tune and fix the cars as well.

On the occasion I would enjoy myself a little too much, stay out way late, drink way too much:givebeer: and more :givebeer: and if I was supposed to help the old man the next day, well he would not say too much but I would have to drag my carcass out of bed and we would put a long and painful day of hard work, usually in the blazing sun! I learned to plan a little better after a few of those episodes.:dizzy:

I now appreciate the values I was taught, hard work pays and any work worth doing is worth doing right, and when the work is done, playtime has been earned and is better appreciated as well, just plan properly!:cheers:

I won't and don't pay my kids an allowance / wage / salary either, sure they get a treat now and then and helping out is a two way street because they need my help at times as well.:clap:

I will agree on setting him up so he can learn to earn his own money. At the same time have him pay some of back into the house for food, clothing, heat ect. Be careful setting up a working relationship with your son, had one with my dad starting out and it was not easy. Hard to give up the day's problems at work when the boss is sitting across the dinner table. My mom played referee more than once. I like Husky comment about him getting paid and then he will pay the kids. Chores around the house are a different and necessary thing. Good luck

I think chores like helping with wood are part of being in the family. I never got money for helping split, and haul nor did I ever get an allowance. I learned hard work, ethics, and knowledge from my father and I didn't have to pay him for it. I am better off now than had I been like all my buddies who sat around and didn't do anything and their parents gave them money.

It is a chore. He has to find other work to pay for gas...etc. It is part of learning to be an adult.

The problem with all this is mommy and her affect.
I would ask her if you should pay her for her time
at the sink and such! If she say's no then ask why
the boy should not man up for the family heat! If
she says yes you may be in trouble:jawdrop:

Your kids don't very often make the best "employees". Parents rarely see their best efforts. You know you brought them up right when you have some non-family member tell you that your kid is a hard worker. When I pay my daughter for something I want her to do I pay her by the job, not by the hour, and I am specific about what I expect the end result to look like. I am usually happy with the end result.

When she does unpaid chores for her mother on the other hand..........:censored: Fathers and sons & mothers and daughters tend to bump heads more from my observations. I suppose it has something do do with different expectations.

Ask him if he is willing to start paying rent if you start paying him for jobs around the house.

Get your wife to ask the people that pay you to split and stack the wood if they'll pay your son also. Meaning, tell him to get a job.

hate to say this but......... when i was a kid ........... LOL
53 yrs old now had jobs since 12 to provide my OWN spending $$$$
was still expected to help out, both with & without being asked
cut grass, dishes, garbage, feed & water critters before & after school
never really thought there was anything amiss there ? having said that i raised 4 of my own & was not against giving up some $$$ for work
my kids all got part time jobs when they were teens but they still used to help out when needed ( actually the 22 & 24 yr olds STILL at home & working full time help out as needed ) would not pay him an hourly rate but would certainly toss him some$$$ for helping out if him did a good job without grumbling he's gotta learn the way the world works sooner or later & that most people don't get a free ride like you said the wood keeps his a$$ warm at night also my $ .02 worth
bob

Who pays for that "g&d da%n cell phone" you vented about in the original post? If you are going to pay him things like the phone, clothes and other non-necessities become the kids responsibility.

so my son wants to work so he has money to pay his insurance gas etc on his jeep he will be gettin his license pretty quick wife says he should get paid for splittin stackin haulin etc. i say he sucks up just as much heat as every one else in this family. i say its chores he has to do as part of the family. what do you guys do ??? and if i do pay him it would have to be by the job not hour i get burned everytime i pay him by the hour. when i look out and see him texting with that g&d da%n cell phone i want to put my boot so far up his arse . damn i hate them things ( sorry i had to vent on that) so what do you guys think.

I never had my own car. I used my folks car. The money I earned by working on the farm, I put aside for college. Sure, I spent some for me, but I didn't buy a car since I already had one.

Being a teacher, I get to see that pretty much all the kids that can drive have nicer vehicles than I do. When did it get to be a RIGHT to get your own car? I already have the car my boys will be driving.....1987 Park Avenue Ultra(my grandpa's car that I bought from my dad). I will let my boys use MY cell phone, but they are not going to be using them like the kids at school do. Dang kids will text each other and they are less than 20 feet away from each other!

Nothing personal and sorry for my rant, but this is the reason kids are never satisfied. They get the stuff that we had to wait for WITHOUT waiting for it or earning it.

I never had my own car. I used my folks car. The money I earned by working on the farm, I put aside for college. Sure, I spent some for me, but I didn't buy a car since I already had one.

Being a teacher, I get to see that pretty much all the kids that can drive have nicer vehicles than I do. When did it get to be a RIGHT to get your own car? I already have the car my boys will be driving.....1987 Park Avenue Ultra(my grandpa's car that I bought from my dad). I will let my boys use MY cell phone, but they are not going to be using them like the kids at school do. Dang kids will text each other and they are less than 20 feet away from each other!

Nothing personal and sorry for my rant, but this is the reason kids are never satisfied. They get the stuff that we had to wait for WITHOUT waiting for it or earning it.

I'm with you. :agree2:

boy did i open one up with this post:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: thanks for all the input. he pays his own cell phone bill cheapest plan ive ever seen 5.00$ for unlimeted text 15.00$ for calls up to 30 min. a month i think he has rollover min. at end of the for lack of talking .thats what kills me i think all of this technolagy is dumbing down our kids they cant even carry on basic communications. ithink i will go with when hes done with the family wood he can do some on his own if no one wants to by green wood maybe i will by it at cheap rate so he can learn WHOLESALE AND RETAIL. thanks for all the help.

I grew up on a farm and did everything from pulling teats to picking corn. The old mans word overruled any objection I may have had. He was generous if I asked for money and gave the reason for it but on the payrole ha ha no way.

If he has unlimited text I wouldnt complain if it doesnt cost you any extra. I text a fair amount, I find it convenient many times.

As for working, I know lots and lots of 16 year olds who never get off their asses or lift a finger around the house, so just be glad yours actually does something.

I wanted to quote nearly every response here...I think we are all on the same page for once!!!

I agree with engraining a sense of work perspective...i.e. work involved for the income gained. And more importantly, teaching how to do things right first, and more efficient later.

Bend over backwards to set up things for him, such as "there's a pile of logs, here's my saw and maul, I'll drive you to the hot spots to try to sell it".

...or whatever other freakish activity which doesn't involve firewood.

Best advice...re-read all the previous posts!

You probably already do, but consider making time to work with him every now and then. I'm not a parent so I usually let all you experienced folks respond to these questions, but my father sometimes expresses regrets about not doing more things with his children when he was younger and more physically fit. Ya' never get it back. And may you receive many blessings for being the concerned parent that you are.

I offered my boys a percentage of any we sold in hopes of getting them to move faster when we go cut. On the few weekends they are 'atmoms', her landlord pays them $15 an hour for painting, cleanup, yardwork and cutting brush. That's kind of hard to compete with since I am supporting them already but then again I'm not competing for her favor either. Since this started with the landlord it has gotten harder to get much out of them the rest of the month.

The youngest ( 12 ) is always glad to help when I mention cutting wood as long as there aren't going to be thorns in it. He likes getting to pull logs to the brushpile with the truck and the little bit of cutting time when I need the break.

The oldest ( 14 - next month ) has the same likes when we go cut. But, now thinks the only time he should go is after ours is all in. He is also the one that complains about the truck and saws getting part of the cut. He forgets who bought them and has to keep them up or there will be no wood for him to help with.

They haven't realized , yet , that if we all pitch in , get it done and get in early there is more time for us or them to do some of their stuff. I want to do more for them but have to temper that with wanting them to do more for themselves.

I think it is a good idea for them to earn what they get/have. Any extra income, IMHO, should come AFTER their other chores and responsibilities. They get some spending money from time to time, they keep their grades up, their room semi-clean and are well behaved as a rule. So I don't mind rewarding them occasionally. If either wants a PT job I am OK with it as long as they are doing what is expected of them.

I do expect them to keep track of how many loads they help with so they will be compensated when we do sell some. If they are going to get paid, it is their money, they should be the one managing it.

Latest posts

Back