Fair warnin' to y'all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heck, I've won more just on ice than you've seen on any surface.
And yet driving a front wheel drive car in snow terrifies you? I'll just chalk that up to yet another difference in how things work in your alternate universe.

Let's get started on politics...
Hey... have I ever told you guys about my uncle (great uncle actually)??
He was a state senator, Lieutenant Governor, and then Governor of Iowa.
Before entering public life he attended Augsburg Seminary, ISU, and Hamilton.
He was a Republican... I only met him once, he died before I became a teenager.
He didn't live long enough to see a radial tire... or front wheel drive (but I hear-tell he rode in an airplane a few times).

President Reagan sent my Grandpa and Grandma a letter for their 50th wedding anniversary I suppose a formality. Grandpa tore it up and mailed it back to him with some direction for where Ron could go and some advice on how he could get there quicker. Mom told me later that the men in black suits were watching at a distance for some time.

:D Men in black... now that there is funny‼ Sounds like your grandpa and I would have gotten along just fine.

I'll just chalk that up to yet another difference in how things work in your alternate universe.
Well... remember... Iowa is in a different universe than Pennsylvania.
For one thing, Iowa has nearly twice the miles of just unpaved roads than Pennsylvania has total... and traffic, even in Des Moines, doesn't slow to a crawl in a snowstorm. Most of us learned to drive as soon as we could see over the steering wheel... some of us had our own car or pickup (complete with shotgun behind the seat) long before we reached "license" age. Booze-cruising and bar-hopping during a blizzard is considered sport... which, because most little towns only have one or two bars, means driving from town-to-town. Your "tiny 1500cc front wheel drive" would be worthless out here... it would be high-centered on a family truckster tire rut in the first mile. Which would be bad for you 'cause some farm boy in a pickup would drive right over ya'... then look at his girl friend and ask, "Hey, did you feel that?? Hand me another beer, would ya' babe?? Let's put some Skynyrd in the 8-track... kay??"

Here's how the it would play out for Chris-PA and his Hundia Elantra down heah.......

........... some farm boy in a pickup would drive right over ya'... then look at his girl friend and ask, "Hey, did you feel that??"

Then she would say, "I think. Could y'all back it up and see if it's still there?" Thump Thump. "Yeah Baby still there." Thump Thump.

"Hand me another beer, would ya' babe?? Let's put some Skynyrd in the 8-track... kay??"

"I like this song, Baby. Let's go Reap Produce."

A little front wheel drive vehicle with decent tires and a manual transmission... my azz‼
Yeah, maybe if ya' have no friggin' clue how to drive... but if you do know how, the last thing you'd drive is "tiny" front wheel drive piece of crap. I'd run circles around you with the '73 family truckster... period‼

Front drive and rear drive both suck when the vehicle doesn't have enough weight on the drive tires. 2WD pickups, empty one ton vans, and lightweight RWD cars made in the '80s all require added weight in the rear to behave well in snow. And while you may have confidence in the family truckster, VW bugs were legendary for out-driving it in snow with only half the weight. Of course the bug requires several hundred added pounds in the front to steer.

You know, it's funny how "piece a crap" changes over the years. While rebuilding my Toyota truck trans last year, I found a web page that said to avoid bearings made in China because they were junk. It said stick with quality Japanese bearings. I still remember when anything made in Japan was a piece -a- crap. But they're right about the bearings.

Most of us learned to drive as soon as we could see over the steering wheel
Yeah, I figured you for a late starter - probably explains the fear thing.

Iowa has nearly twice the miles of just unpaved roads than Pennsylvania has total.
From a Google search I found for road miles by State: Pennsylvania = 253,838, Iowa = 235,460. We also have these things called curves and hills, which you may be unfamiliar with. They make having 65% of the weight over the non-driven wheels undesirable.

Booze-cruising and bar-hopping during a blizzard is considered sport... which, because most little towns only have one or two bars, means driving from town-to-town.
Bar hopping? Sounds like a city boy. In the area where I grew up you could drive 40min in one direction and never go through a noticeable town at all. Sad to say that in my youth we all drank and we all drove everywhere too. Generally the party was in the car or next to them.

...while you may have confidence in the family truckster, VW bugs were legendary for out-driving it in snow...
Ummmm..... not out here. We have wind here, which means the snow is near always in hard-packed drifts. The same thing that allowed the VW to float like a boat caused it to ride up on the snow like a toboggan... leaving the wheels hanging in mid-air. Those things were death traps if ya' got them stuck out in the boonies 'cause of the air-cooled engine and how the heater worked... basically, you had no heat unless RPMs were up and you were moving. A friend of mine bought a brand spankin' new VW 'round '73 or so. After gettin' it high-centered several times he adopted a new strategy; hit the drifts as fast as possible and "slide" over the top of 'em... the result was upside-down in a creek bed after "sliding" clean over the bridge rails.
He replaced it with a '68 Olds Ninty-Eight with the 455 rocket under the hood... that one went through the ice over at the lake, the only thing stickin' out'a the water was the radio antenna. I friggin' told him not to stop... he just wouldn't listen :laughing:

lol...

Hey, I never said the bug was appropriate for winter. I said it had good traction.

We borrowed a bug when I was a kid. Warm air was supplied by a single piece of 3" flexible dryer vent tube from the heater passages in the floor to the front. My job was to alternate blowing warm air on the driver's window then on the passenger's window. I had to sneak in warm air for myself when dad wasn't looking If he caught me warming up while he was freezing, well, it wasn't good.

Unc, I think the politics would have everyone at each others throats even more. Entertaining thread though! Not as funny as the one though with that goofball smacking that monster round 300 times with his fiskars :crazy:

I was being sarcastic. If people can get into an internet pee fight over cars, then there's something wrong with them and they'll fight like a couple toddlers over a moldy cracker. Sheesh.:angry:

So what thread you talking about with the fiskars? I missed that one.

Go to Fiskars X27, what a piece of plastic. Video of a comparison between a x27 and a 30 lb anvil on a piece of pipe, this younger dude is just wailing on big 40" rounds in his yard. Oh and he has a heart rate monitor on to show us the difference in effort. Kinda funny.

From a Google search I found for road miles by State: Pennsylvania = 253,838, Iowa = 235,460.
That's funny... LOL‼ I wasn't counting city and residential streets, suburban byways, and Interstate highways. Good lord man, how many miles of streets, roads and Interstate is just in the Philadelphia area?? Heck, if you look at it that way (or even remove Philadelphia).... Pennsylvania ain't crap-o-la for roads. Most of Iowa is made up of 1 mile square sections...
Iowa has over 98,000 miles of state/county controlled roads (not townships, cities, or Interstate)... and over 72,000 miles of that is unpaved.
What's the mileage of total commonwealth controlled roads (not townships, cities, or Interstate) in Pennsylvania?? Something 'round 40,000?? Maybe 50,000 but I doubt it.

Latest posts

Back