Fair warnin' to y'all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, maybe we can discuss this:

My, those Japanese people certainly are into some weird crap. I remember seeing a Jap game show some years back where "contestants" (if you want to call them that) were made to stand in a tub of water which they slowly brought to a boil. The first one that jumped out, lost. LOL

I was being sarcastic. If people can get into an internet pee fight over cars, then there's something wrong with them and they'll fight like a couple toddlers over a moldy cracker. Sheesh.:angry:

So what thread you talking about with the fiskars? I missed that one.

Oh yeah, I know you were being a wisenheimer :laugh:. That thread was started by Overclock and was titled "Fiskars, what a piece of plastic" or something to that effect. And svk and Chris-PA were trying to throw out a guess as to who Overclock really was and said it was Brush Ape. Could be...possibly. I'm going to throw a guess out there myself and say it's MasterBlaster! Do I win a prize or anything??:happy:

Whitespider, what's the terrain out there in Iowa look like? Is it relatively flat with rolling hills? Or do you guys have decent sized mountains out there too? The reason I'm asking is because with all this talk about driving in the snow makes me wonder what everyone else is up against. Let me describe my terrain. We have single lane roads out here just barely wide enough for two cars to make it through while they're side-by-side passing each other. We've got mountains with hundreds of feet of elevation changes that you absolutely need to get some kind of running start at in order to clear the crest, but really can't, because that corner you just turned killed off all of the momentum you just had. Tractor trailers going down these same mountains would be (and I'm just guessing here since I don't have my class A) more than likely be kept in 1st or 2nd gear, with the jake brake on to keep their descent under control. Add in that plow crews hardly plow any secondary roads until after the snow has stopped and all the other drivers have compacted it to ice now. Then when they do plow, the trucks just throw pea gravel off of the spreader, not the calcium chloride like they should be. Sometimes when I drive these roads in the winter, I am thankful I can fall back on my many years of off road riding to get me through.

Iowa has over 98,000 miles of state/county controlled roads (not townships, cities, or Interstate).
You have better or worse traction on state roads? My car doesn't really care.

As for paved - PA has a lot of variation from region to region. We've got plenty of unpaved stuff around here - it's just routine.

. And svk and Chris-PA were trying to throw out a guess as to who Overclock really was and said it was Brush Ape. Could be...possibly. I'm going to throw a guess out there myself and say it's MasterBlaster! Do I win a prize or anything??:happy:

Master Blaster = Brush Ape? Haha no comparison. BA is in a league of his own.

You have better or worse traction on state roads? My car doesn't really care.

As for paved - PA has a lot of variation from region to region. We've got plenty of unpaved stuff around here - it's just routine.

It's funny you mentioned the unpaved road thing. Years back there was a body discovered inside a sealed 55 gallon steel drum dumped off on the side of the road not to far from me. It was just there, rotting away. A friend of mine told me a couple of hunters found it. Crazy what can happen on a non-maintained road!

:D Men in black... now that there is funny‼ Sounds like your grandpa and I would have gotten along just fine.

Well... remember... Iowa is in a different universe than Pennsylvania.
For one thing, Iowa has nearly twice the miles of just unpaved roads than Pennsylvania has total... and traffic, even in Des Moines, doesn't slow to a crawl in a snowstorm. Most of us learned to drive as soon as we could see over the steering wheel... some of us had our own car or pickup (complete with shotgun behind the seat) long before we reached "license" age. Booze-cruising and bar-hopping during a blizzard is considered sport... which, because most little towns only have one or two bars, means driving from town-to-town. Your "tiny 1500cc front wheel drive" would be worthless out here... it would be high-centered on a family truckster tire rut in the first mile. Which would be bad for you 'cause some farm boy in a pickup would drive right over ya'... then look at his girl friend and ask, "Hey, did you feel that?? Hand me another beer, would ya' babe?? Let's put some Skynyrd in the 8-track... kay??"
some of us keystoners know how to drive Spidey.:D used to take the '74 pinto wagon w/B-60/13 BIAS ply tires out in a snow storm and run down the 4 lane as fast as that little 4-banger would go . push in the clutch,pull up the emergency brake and slide through the median into the opposing lane and head back from where we came from. no other cars on the highway but we had fun. and yes Skynard was prolly in the 8 track. and:drinking: :laugh::laugh:

Well... remember... Iowa is in a different universe than Pennsylvania.
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that this statement must be SOOO very true, IA must be completely different than ANYWHERE else. Explains a lot...a whole lot

So it is you!!! :surprised3:

Yes it is me, Overclock. Remember when Robin turned into the Dark Knight???????........

...well I may never steal Batman's thunder. Maybe in some other city but never in Gotham.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that this statement must be SOOO very true, IA must be completely different than ANYWHERE else. Explains a lot...a whole lot

It is very true. Iowa is much different because the corn is so good. That makes for the biggest whitetail bucks and some huge knockers only surpassed by Illinois by any account.

Whitespider, what's the terrain out there in Iowa look like?
Well, certainly no mountains, but as you move closer to the Mississippi the hills and bluffs get pretty decent size with steep grades and winding roads... the far northeast is probably the worst. The north-central is as flat as a pancake and once the ditches fill up the snow can drift deep enough to swallow a Greyhound bus... the plows basically make tunnels. I live in a transitional area between those two extremes. Parts of the southwest remind me of Missouri and South Dakota breaks land, but with a less rock showing... much of it better suited for cattle than corn. A lot of southeast Iowa (other than along the Mississippi) is hard to distinguish from much of western Illinois... there's even a few small oil wells. But no matter what part you're in, there's uncounted river and stream bottoms that toss in all sorts of wrinkles, curves, and grades.

Our crushed rock roads are not "plowed clean", they're mostly hard-pack and ice... but the maintainers will put teeth on the blades to rough it up a bit when things get too slick. The school bus routes are cleared as soon as possible... but others may not get much attention for 2-3 days depending on the amount of snow and length of the storm. I lived in a farm house once where the road was routinely ignored fore 2-3 days... the longest was 10 days. Drifting is probably the biggest hazard... you can drive down a county road to get somewhere, and 10 or 15 minutes later, on the return trip, it may be drifted in as high as the roof of your car... especially if the ditches are full.

Oh yeah, I know you were being a wisenheimer :laugh:. That thread was started by Overclock and was titled "Fiskars, what a piece of plastic" or something to that effect. And svk and Chris-PA were trying to throw out a guess as to who Overclock really was and said it was Brush Ape. Could be...possibly. I'm going to throw a guess out there myself and say it's MasterBlaster! Do I win a prize or anything??:happy:
Did masterblaster get banned? I always enjoyed his posts.

some of us keystoners know how to drive Spidey.:D used to take the '74 pinto wagon w/B-60/13 BIAS ply tires out in a snow storm...
In '76 I put my '66 Galaxie 500 end-over-end when the front u-joint let go, the drive shaft hooked the roadway, kicking the rear end off the ground, and sending me front-first into the ditch where I promptly hit a driveway... a wild ride, and total loss. Needing a fast replacement, and short on cash, I found a clean little '74 Pinto with the optional 2300 4cyl and a 4spd manual. I was always impressed with the "snow-driving" ability of that little thing. I didn't have it long... it had Firestone 500 radials on it. Just before Christmas one of the front treads separated at 70 MPH on I-694 in Minneapolis and I smacked a bridge. The transmission tail shaft housing came up through the floor when the front end folded under... my second wild ride and total loss of '76. The year 1977 brought the baby-blue '73 Satellite Sebring Plus and the puke-green '71 Torino GT... both of which I managed to unload before they were wrecked or using too much oil :D

The '70s were definitely a good time :laughing:

It's funny you mentioned the unpaved road thing. Years back there was a body discovered inside a sealed 55 gallon steel drum dumped off on the side of the road not to far from me. It was just there, rotting away. A friend of mine told me a couple of hunters found it. Crazy what can happen on a non-maintained road!

Jimmy Hoffa??????????

Latest posts

Back