Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you boys all had a good Christmas!

Here's one from today.

attachment.php

Got it in the road. Its awful tight in here.

attachment.php

Cafeteria/hot box. Cold pecan pie for dessert today. Good eatin.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hope you boys all had a good Christmas!

Here's one from today.

attachment.php

Got it in the road. Its awful tight in here.

attachment.php

Cafeteria/hot box. Cold pecan pie for dessert today. Good eatin.

attachment.php

A box face with a snipe eh? I like your lunch room!! Though, it seems like a lot of wasted square footage for a lunch area.:laugh:

Joe- I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow. 10 ton. No thumb or grapple. Wish I had one, but I make do with a frost pick and a bucket. I could also use some forks. This isn't what I do full time. Its a week here and a week there.

Metals- Actually attempt at a siswel. When I used my axe to pop the piece of pie out more broke off out of the face. That should have been a heads up to the frozen wood. It did come around, but not as much as I wanted it too. Had to double stack on the far side because of that big limb off to the right. A lot of weight over there. A dutch may have helped kick it around a little more. eh. oh well. Its harder to get the wood moving in the cold and snaps off eaiser.

You should see the lunch room in person! That pic doesn't quite get it there. My lunch box and other crap are hanging up high.

Joe- I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow. 10 ton. No thumb or grapple. Wish I had one, but I make do with a frost pick and a bucket. I could also use some forks. This isn't what I do full time. Its a week here and a week there.

Metals- Actually attempt at a siswel. When I used my axe to pop the piece of pie out more broke off out of the face. That should have been a heads up to the frozen wood. It did come around, but not as much as I wanted it too. Had to double stack on the far side because of that big limb off to the right. A lot of weight over there. A dutch may have helped kick it around a little more. eh. oh well. Its harder to get the wood moving in the cold and snaps off eaiser.

You should see the lunch room in person! That pic doesn't quite get it there. My lunch box and other crap are hanging up high.

I know all about that frozen wood! It's a real bugger sometimes. . . I haven't had to bust out a sizwheel yet, but I'm gonna sometime just to use it. hahaha

I'm still trying to figure out how you fit a 5 man crew into that lunch room? Is that digger like a clown car? hahahahaha

Split early today. Taking off for a few days. Heres one from this morning.

attachment.php

Coming around the back.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Still a big fan of the dutch.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Metals there are plenty of days I wish I had a five man crew!

I'm sure this looks pretty mickey mouse to most of you guys, but it gets the job done for me. Put some hills in front of it though and it gets into trouble. I could use some tire chains too. Oh well. Its not mine anyway and the owners aren't going to spring for anything else anytime soon with the frequency of use it gets. I've learned a few tricks with it over the years though. 32" bar on the saw by the way.

Backwoods culvert. I'm really going to try to use this thing for a small drainage creek I need to get across.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

bitzercreek1 i want to see that back woods culvert if it works. looks like fun. good work

Couldn't find the "Bucking" thread?

Heres the pic anyway. Standing on the stem I backbar until I feel it move. Get on the ground and WOT on from the top down slowing the downward motion when it starts to tighten up, reaming a little maybe, and then when its closed up top, free sailing. Not sure if this is what Burvol would call wheeling, but the more I do it the more I like it. Took a few pinches to get it right, but seems if you're four-stroking on the way down it should be a good pace. I'm sure that adding hills to the mix changes things a touch.
attachment.php

Bitz, that ain't Mickey Mouse at all brother. :)

What's up with all the core rot in that area though?

Wood culverts were used for a long time! Should work pretty good.

On the stick, why not fab up a simple mechanical thumb? They work good, are cheap to make, and can be removed at any time. I reckon it would be a good combo for you with the bucket.

bitzercreek1 i want to see that back woods culvert if it works. looks like fun. good work

Hey no problem man! Its gettin awful greasy around here this week though. They're talkin 50s for this weekend and rain. I'm workin the bottoms of some small valleys that are gonna be underwater I'm thinking. I won't get back into this job until it freezes up. I'll post it when I do though.

that mechanical thumb might work really well lifting the logs. might not work as well with the slash tho.:cheers:

Bitz, that ain't Mickey Mouse at all brother. :)

What's up with all the core rot in that area though?

Wood culverts were used for a long time! Should work pretty good.

On the stick, why not fab up a simple mechanical thumb? They work good, are cheap to make, and can be removed at any time. I reckon it would be a good combo for you with the bucket.

Thanks! The rot is what I'm looking for. I do thinning and cull work. This spot is going to have a great stand of timber some day. Just getting rid of the junk. Thanks for the pics on the thumb. That looks like a piece of cake to fab.

Thanks! The rot is what I'm looking for. I do thinning and cull work. This spot is going to have a great stand of timber some day. Just getting rid of the junk. Thanks for the pics on the thumb. That looks like a piece of cake to fab.

Yup, you should be able to make one real, real cheap!

Didn't know you were looking for rot, but now that I do, it makes sense. :)

Nice form, good job on looking up.

The hardhat looks cool like that, I think.

Wrap handle rep coming.

Nice pictures plankton. Is that the 2188 you added a wrap handle to?

Back