Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to make some noise this morning Bob. Damn wind whipping the snow around got so bad that I couldn't see a tree 2 feet from my face. Stuck back in my cabin. I hear ya on the cabin fever. Hopefully things will improve one of these days.....might warm up by June or so, lol.

Take care- Sam

If coastal wasn't such a ##### he wouldn't have to fake that big timber!!!!!

:msp_thumbsup:

I crack myself up.

I feel really bad cause I sent MTSam an email and mentioned getting my garden ready, forgot that it was still -35 there! Oops, sorry.

Happy tree killing everyone.

No worries Joe, I'll chip some ice off my saw and stick it in the mail for you tomorrow, lol. Have fun with the garden, I really enjoy ours. We're just a little behind your growing season around here - Sam

If coastal wasn't such a ##### he wouldn't have to fake that big timber!!!!!

:msp_thumbsup:

I crack myself up.

I feel really bad cause I sent MTSam an email and mentioned getting my garden ready, forgot that it was still -35 there! Oops, sorry.

Happy tree killing everyone.

Hahaha! Right on, hammer!

And we didn't take a lot of pictures because we had to pay to get them developed.
It was primitive, dangerous times then. Trees were big, the internet did not exist. There were no cell phones!!:eek: You young'uns might have died from a lack of communications! :cheers:

And we didn't take a lot of pictures because we had to pay to get them developed.
It was primitive, dangerous times then. Trees were big, the internet did not exist. There were no cell phones!!:eek: You young'uns might have died from a lack of communications! :cheers:

Haha! I hear that, Slowp! All I can say regarding my daughter is thank god for unlimited text cell phone plans!

No need to here.

Scanned photos can get weird, I have plenty that need a go over. Very few will show up the way they should.

That is one dammed big Spruce.

Thanks, Randy. We had some heli wood last summer that had some nice spruce in it, not nearly as big, but about 5-6ft on the butt and close to 200 ft tall with just a tuft of limbs at the top. Beautiful stuff to fall. I was way too busy at the time and never thought to grab some pics, I'll have to see if some of the guys did!

Sorry for bringing up another old post, but I posted some light stuff photos for (hopefuly) judgement from ol´pards and maybe for some fun, but for some reason, whole next page and over a half was written before my post apeared on "time correct" place-it´s now on p. 146, #2186.
And now I see it stuck up under some mess from someone who quite evidently hadn´t ever seen what happens to classic film when exposed under a bit flat light on higly contrasting scene, then having nerves during developing it and dozen papers wasted while prying it into positive. Every step means sacrification of some (or a lot of) resolution of photomaterial for ability to accomodate the contrast somehow or anyhow, thus the grain rise in size. Even professional scanners, designed for the one and only purpose of scanning negatives are having big problems with negatives from such scenes. And those desktop bastards have usualy no problem to make a single blot from a maple tree, on which you can in negative (even on positive) distinguish leafs quite clearly.

Sorry boy, I´m a newby here also, but I´m here to watch some informative posts, photos, videos and big ol´trees. I realy do not want to dig to them through such stupid kidding and t-shirt jerking as you showed. I´m here for relax and enyoment, not to get annoyed. Buy yourself a Stihl in child´s collectiles part of their e-shop, it may help you during your photoshop self-education. For sure, it don´t bite back for bad manners and handling.

Edit: Last paragraph was aimed on some loud short-spike or antlerless creature, which was out of proper rut period for over four pages, being even too young for it as it seems.

Last edited:
Sorry for bringing up another old post, but I posted some light stuff photos for (hopefuly) judgement from ol´pards and maybe for some fun, but for some reason, whole next page and over a half was written before my post apeared on "time correct" place-it´s now on p. 146, #2186.
And now I see it stuck up under some mess from someone who quite evidently hadn´t ever seen what happens to classic film when exposed under a bit flat light on higly contrasting scene, then having nerves during developing it and dozen papers wasted while prying it into positive. Every step means sacrification of some (or a lot of) resolution of photomaterial for ability to accomodate the contrast somehow or anyhow, thus the grain rise in size. Even professional scanners, designed for the one and only purpose of scanning negatives are having big problems with negatives from such scenes. And those desktop bastards have usualy no problem to make a single blot from a maple tree, on which you can in negative (even on positive) distinguish leafs quite clearly.

Sorry boy, I´m a newby here also, but I´m here to watch some informative posts, photos, videos and big ol´trees. I realy do not want to dig to them through such stupid kidding and t-shirt jerking as you showed. I´m here for relax and enyoment, not to get annoyed. Buy yourself a Stihl in child´s collectiles part of their e-shop, it may help you during your photoshop self-education. For sure, it don´t bite back for bad manners and handling.

Edit: Last paragraph was aimed on some loud short-spike or antlerless creature, which was out of proper rut period for over four pages, being even too young for it as it seems.

very good, and welcome and enjoy.

And now, maybe get ready your laughpads (that´s not mistype). A logtruck as you have never seen it, I suppose:

That is something I have never seen before. Nothing to laugh at, though.

Good thing you mentioned your pictures once again, Frank, I missed them on the first round. Nice aiming! If the described cut works there, then it works.

Hey Coastal.
Did you guys ever tramp out at Gordon River Main, ? Huge fir there back in the day ...

Awesome pics Coastal! That sitka sure looks like its fun to cut. Super clean looking wood. Great pics man!

Hammer, I thought you were kidding about the garden! Sheesh, I've got a 3 foot snow bank growing in mine. If we get everything in by late April/early May its a miracle. The threat of frost stays long up this way.

Hey Coastal.
Did you guys ever tramp out at Gordon River Main, ? Huge fir there back in the day ...

Hey Dayto,

Nope never did. Mainly in the Charlottes, north end of the Island, some around Franklin, mid coast. The usual suspects, LOL! Where abouts you working at?

Awesome pics Coastal! That sitka sure looks like its fun to cut. Super clean looking wood. Great pics man!

Hammer, I thought you were kidding about the garden! Sheesh, I've got a 3 foot snow bank growing in mine. If we get everything in by late April/early May its a miracle. The threat of frost stays long up this way.

Thanks, Bitzer, yeah, it's a blast to cut. My favorite. Can be stubborn though too, have to make sure your undercut opening is wide and you have all the guts cut out of them, other wise you'll be working way too hard and taking way too long to get it over. Don't ask me how I know that!!! LOL!!

Latest posts

Back