Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, some small firewood poles here, as I´m teaching my right hand some stuff again after neck backbone injury. Rate me or have a fun.

The object of the first two photos is the snag in the middle. The first photo is from the left side, considering the direction of fall (to the left in the photo). This 12“DBH oak has a bit of head lean and quite a bit mass disbalance. Also, the top above that left-protruding branch was leaning toward the photographer and had most branches protruding this direction, making the crown quite flat. But major plane of this flatness was oriented from about 2 to 8 o´clock, compared to 6 to 12 o´clock direction of desired fall. The availible coridor was about 6´ wide for whole crown, since the object was not to even scratch young trees on it´s sides.

Standard procedure would be a fat hinge on the right side, relying on strengt in pull during some torque. I had serious doubts about this being the safe way here, since the snagwood is usually damn brittle in this area (actually, I haven´t seen more brittle oak wood in whole life).
So, no relying on any pull anywhere, do the best to force it to „sit down“ for any move. The plan: conventional face, opened with sth as a „boxcut“ on the right (pull side) and quite closed on the left. I bored for very uneven hingewood, very thin and tall with a shallow dutchman on the right side, thicker and short on the left side. With releasing the holding strap, hit the right hingewood a little bit more, so when the branches way above get first contact with other crown, the right side of the hingewood collapsed forward (but still atached), turning the tree counterclokwise and letting it sit to the right, aligning it with the free space and then forcing it to jump off the stump. The left part of the hinge was sheared off by the weight of the tree, rather than pulled apart as usual, as I hoped for. The difference in fiber pull/shear is visible in the photo
Aftermath: (This was some good ilustration about the need to KNOW by hands, not by mind variations through different places where one is cuting. I tried it somewhere else, where the wood is a bit different-without the need, having enought space, just to test it. No big succes, the estimations I did were not right-and the wood was brittle somehow differently, I can feel it, but not say how, why etc.) (That´s a stump B&C mounted) Branches got bent to compact form quite well, but frankly, I got a bit pinched twice during cutting them off. Some of them had 90 deg axial torque accomodated, making it very funny to cut.
[URL=http://www.imghosting.cz/view-31leaner_02.jpg]

(Other site, one of bunch of trees) This oak has about 17“ DBH/stump dia, some head and left side lean. Althought a lot of space, not to disturb crowns of trees on the left protruding under few remaining branches of this snag above that free space was a must. Humboldt undercut btw, otherways nothing special I think.

And now, maybe get ready your laughpads (that´s not mistype). A logtruck as you have never seen it, I suppose:

This is a smaller load, the tree above was rigt to go twice for it. Once again:

In this second picture, the payload is somewhere around 650-700 lbs, since bottom two rows are mostly green 8-9 ft. oak posts. It´s fun to tow this by MTB, and more to watch the faces around. Main reason for this not-so-common transportation is that the trees were from higly protected potable water supply area. No big problem to get an acknowledgement with foresters and cut there (but very limited fuel/bar oil supply allowed), but quite a long lasting issue to get a permit from the water supervising company to drive there. This is easier, instant, no permit needed and helps to take me back to good shape.

I hate falling smaller trees :censored::censored:

I hate falling smaller trees :censored::censored:

I do that a lot, I don't know if I'm mistaken but they do seem a bit more "squirrely" on the way down than bigger trees. And hang up in other trees at the drop of a hat. Not fun, not scary, just a PITA.

Ah well, not every day is x-mas.

I do that a lot, I don't know if I'm mistaken but they do seem a bit more "squirrely" on the way down than bigger trees. And hang up in other trees at the drop of a hat. Not fun, not scary, just a PITA.

Ah well, not every day is x-mas.

Little trees are the ones that will hurt you. Cutters typically let their guard down with smaller trees thinking that its a "walk in the park."

Cut a little timber today for a local logger, little mom and pop outfit.

Nice to cut some green timber for a change.

184957_10150095319015887_513110886_6852469_122665_n.jpg

185755_10150095319500887_513110886_6852472_2391341_n.jpg

Gotta have a humboldt every now and then :msp_biggrin:
184794_10150095318685887_513110886_6852468_3596400_n.jpg

181787_10150095317260887_513110886_6852460_1300369_n.jpg

181507_10150095316885887_513110886_6852459_6306773_n.jpg

"Yeah I'm treeeeeeeeeeeee, tree fallin'" Good job pard :)

On another note: I see there are a few more nippleheads on here callin out Jordan's pic??? Dang little pissant trolls just won't stay away will they? I say, unless you are willing to post some respectful pic's or a respectful post that maybe...you know....shows some INTELLIGENCE on the subject, KEEP YOUR PIEHOLE SHUT! All that you morons do is show what a fine specimen of a little maggot that you are when you do that ####, NUFF SAID! :bang:

:clap: Now you've gone from getting to cut wood to having to cut wood. Good feeling, though...isn't it?

Refreshing, actually.

It's nice to be paid.
I hope it was more than the $50 a day old Ray paid me.

It's as much as I cut, lol. Paid by the ton. Select cut type thing, but the damn trees aren't marked :dizzy: Talk about being slowed tremendously.

Cutting hardwoods 14in. and bigger. I'll mark the damn things myself if I have to - could easily make up the time not cutting.

It's nice to be paid.
I hope it was more than the $50 a day old Ray paid me.

Yeah, but $50 was worth more back in the day. The dollar was probably worth 60¢ then, compared to 2¢ today. :cry:

I was telling Jameson earlier today, I was talking to a short logger in ID last week. He's shutting down for now, cause he can only get $600 MBF for cedar, and $200 and some for pine. :dizzy:

Yeah, but $50 was worth more back in the day. The dollar was probably worth 60¢ then, compared to 2¢ today. :cry:

I was telling Jameson earlier today, I was talking to a short logger in ID last week. He's shutting down for now, cause he can only get $600 MBF for cedar, and $200 and some for pine. :dizzy:

Sign of the times :( Pathetic!

Refreshing, actually.

It's as much as I cut, lol. Paid by the ton. Select cut type thing, but the damn trees aren't marked :dizzy: Talk about being slowed tremendously.

Cutting hardwoods 14in. and bigger. I'll mark the damn things myself if I have to - could easily make up the time not cutting.

Aaa, Jameson, you cannot let unmarked timber slow you down. I have cut alot of tracts that where 12'' and above, 14, 16,20 bla bla bla. Usually that is the rule when the timber is not marked. put a scratch on your bar to help measure, but don't fret if you cut a few 12 inchers. I find that in the woods, what looks like a 10 incher is usually more than a foot. . .

Yeah you'll get used to it fast, and how to work your patch to keep things rolling smoothly. If you're not right under a dozer or skidder, keep in mind cutting in strips at least 200' wide, figuring extraction route for how you lay the timber. If you are concerned about the diameter, you can also make yourself a string that is the right length for your diameter, hence "hug 'em and cut 'em".

So much for silviculture, welcome to hardwood logging.

Get a Cruiser's Crutch or some prisms. They'll pay for themselves in a few trees. If you know what the landowner wants the stand to look like later, why mark anything if you can meet the goals up front? Later, when you're rich as hell from your successful projects drop the preposterous cash on a Relaskop; it really is a great tool but it really does cost way more than it's worth.

Also:

you can also make yourself a string that is the right length for your diameter

I do this -- I have a length of parachute cord with knots tied at all of the important distances. It's cheap, lightweight, and effective. DOOO EEEEEETTTT.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back