Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one was the ugliest snag I have taken down this year. A 29'' aspen standing next to a garage.

IMG_3347.JPG

It was not all soft, but I was in a hurry as it went. A lot of things on the air.

IMG_3359.JPG

The power line clearing Chris is up to is a special case. There is usually just one falling direction available, and the timber is mostly leaning towards the light - the power line it is. Spruces, even the dead ones, are not usually that bad as they grow straight up. Alders gave me always shivers - they grow fast and lean heavily. And they are dead or at least rotten when you get there.

Well, I am not falling right now, too much snow... So I have to do with the old material.

Sam

Not that I am a pro or anything but I figured I'd throw up some pics from a fir I recently fell at my girlfriends parents house. I posted a short video pages ago but just now got the pics... Anyway, here ya go.

2.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

17.jpg

19-2.jpg

Some of you that saw the video may recall that it was quite rotten (as you could see in the face) that chunk was what it broke away from...
21.jpg

23.jpg

And of course, the obligatory kill photo...
29.jpg

Thanks. Believe it or not it cleaned up pretty quick. White speck only went about 30 ft up and then it was sound (sans the occasional unsound knot/limb). Anyway, it all worked out. They have one on their property bigger than that (roughly 6ft) that may need to come down in the near future as well. The one in the photos was leaning WAY ahead. Like 30 ft...

Last edited:
Is that so?! How long ago was that? Did you log in the area?
1997-1998, and no, I was never a faller. I was a forestry technician contracted to the BLM in those days. If you are, or know, a guy from Alpine named Jay, whose uncle Bob died in a skidder accident in 1996, I'd be most pleased to buy you a beer.

1997-1998, and no, I was never a faller. I was a forestry technician contracted to the BLM in those days. If you are, or know, a guy from Alpine named Jay, whose uncle Bob died in a skidder accident in 1996, I'd be most pleased to buy you a beer.

No such luck sir... Or should I say misfortune (given the accident). BLM huh? Would you happen to know a fellow named Fred Kallean? (not sure on the spelling)

Not a name I know. I worked contracts out of both the Eugene and Salem district offices during those years. Loved Eugene district -- everything was just close enough, and just far enough away. When I grow up, I think I might want to live there.

Also -- one a these days, I gotta tell my SWAT team story. I just haven't gotten around to typing it out. Keywords: Siuslaw river, Apple Creek, 1997, Helicopter.

Fred was a Forester with the BLM office for over 30 years I believe... SWAT story?! Sounds interesting. You are a Forester now, correct?

As much as I want to move away from the place I grew up, you are exactly right. This town is pretty ideal for those who like true "close-in country."

I never do anything fun...

and open to critique... I can't spell.. .. but....

[video=youtube;BbrcXCX4QvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrcXCX4QvQ[/video]

Latest posts

Back