Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your chaps and hat match kind of, and you are wearing suspenders so we are not shocked by seeing male cleavage.

Now, don't know if this bothers anybody else, but I do not like to see people making the final cut and standing on the downhill side of the tree, even where it isn't much of a downhill. I doesn't seem like a very good habit to get into.

Yeah I gots to wear spenders, I do at work too, I have a total lack of man ass

which vid you talkin about, the fir?

It was a bit of an optical illusion, the side I was on was probably less than 6-7 inches lower than the uphill side, I can definately see what your talking about though, when she goes if it decides to roll a little it's gonna get taken over by gravity for sure

here's a dougie from today too, I shoulda been looking up at least a little bit

dougfir1 0001 - YouTube

Okay, since everybody else is picking on you I will, too. :msp_biggrin:

Look at your video about 26 seconds in. The tree was basically sawed up right there. You hung in a little bit, probably to square up your hinge, but you stayed too long. The hinge looks real thin...too thin for absolute control if a gust of wind had caught it. With too thin a hinge a tree can go sideways on you. It's also too easy to cut the corner off with a thin hinge.

Patience, Grasshopper, patience. :D

Okay, since everybody else is picking on you I will, too. :msp_biggrin:

Look at your video about 26 seconds in. The tree was basically sawed up right there. You hung in a little bit, probably to square up your hinge, but you stayed too long. The hinge looks real thin...too thin for absolute control if a gust of wind had caught it. With too thin a hinge a tree can go sideways on you. It's also too easy to cut the corner off with a thin hinge.

Patience, Grasshopper, patience. :D

Hey, that's what I posted em up for, I had expected a helluva lot more ass chewins and whatnot :D

Gotcha, should I wedge it a touch next time instead of thinning the hinge more?

I think the reason it might've hung up was I missed some wood on the camera side when I started out and there was about a 3 inch strap on the outside (the part i got at the end when i reached over again)

Watch that top, it'll tell you what's going on and in time you'll learn what to do. That's why you gotta look up.

Get into the habit of palming a wedge into the backcut as soon as there is room... until you get up to snuff on leans and center of gravity and all that happy horse####.

Hey, that's what I posted em up for, I had expected a helluva lot more ass chewins and whatnot :D

I think the reason it might've hung up was I missed some wood on the camera side when I started out and there was about a 3 inch strap on the outside (the part i got at the end when i reached over again)

A wedge wouldn't hurt but I don't think you really needed one on that tree. When they start to go over and stall out it should be a major red flag to you that the hinge isn't right. Sawing them up a little might help but it's real easy to over-do it. It just takes time, and mistakes, to learn. You're doing alright.

And, speaking of mistakes, I can see at least four major things done wrong by the old fart in the video below. Number 1 was chasing the hinge on a heavy leaner and never quite catching it. Number 2 was the choice of cut...it should have been bored and tripped or maybe a Coos Bay instead of a conventional back cut. Can you see the other two?

[video=youtube;f7kvbqxUIsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7kvbqxUIsQ[/video]

A wedge wouldn't hurt but I don't think you really needed one on that tree. When they start to go over and stall out it should be a major red flag to you that the hinge isn't right. Sawing them up a little might help but it's real easy to over-do it. It just takes time, and mistakes, to learn. You're doing alright.

And, speaking of mistakes, I can see at least four major things done wrong by the old fart in the video below. Number 1 was chasing the hinge on a heavy leaner and never quite catching it. Number 2 was the choice of cut...it should have been bored and tripped or maybe a Coos Bay instead of a conventional back cut. Can you see the other two?

dang, not really :confused:

maybe look up a little more and it looked like there wasn't a whole helluva lot of stumpshot, wait, the face didn't really look deep and steep enough

Last edited:

3- You didn't start the video with, "Hold mah beer, and watch this!".
4- Patty wasn't there telling you that you forgot to attach the ticket to the butt. How does it go? Staple-fold-fold-staple-staple-staple-fold-staple.

:laugh:

On a serious note. . . You cut the far side by feel instead of looking, and over cut the near side? Hell I don't know.

3- You didn't start the video with, "Hold mah beer, and watch this!".
4- Patty wasn't there telling you that you forgot to attach the ticket to the butt. How does it go? Staple-fold-fold-staple-staple-staple-fold-staple.

:laugh:

On a serious note. . . You cut the far side by feel instead of looking, and over cut the near side? Hell I don't know.

I know, right, I don't really feel justified in critiquing Bob's video. I feel like Bob's gonna come through my screen and crack the #### out of me with a ruler if I give the wrong answer :hmm3grin2orange:

cutting on the underside and hitch hiking the left thumb- or wait, did you just open this up to find out how many more than 4 things there are wrong?

Watch that top, it'll tell you what's going on and in time you'll learn what to do. That's why you gotta look up.

Get into the habit of palming a wedge into the backcut as soon as there is room...

Yes and yes. Don't forget that that wedge sitting there, even if you don't need it for leverage, is also able to act as a "bobber" to tell you when the top starts a-movin' -- if you don't happen to be looking up at that moment. This is a very useful feedback loop.

Yes and yes. Don't forget that that wedge sitting there, even if you don't need it for leverage, is also able to act as a "bobber" to tell you when the top starts a-movin' -- if you don't happen to be looking up at that moment. This is a very useful feedback loop.

I guess I never thought of the bobber thing, hell, the K&H's are even the right color scheme :D

dang, not really :confused:

maybe look up a little more and it looked like there wasn't a whole helluva lot of stumpshot, wait, the face didn't really look deep and steep enough

I said two things, dammit. :) But you're pretty close. The face was okay but it could have been a little wider. The main thing I see wrong is not sawing it up a little more. And not sawing faster. It wasn't going for a saw log but that's no excuse for sloppy work.

Notice how it stalled out? Too much hinge. But it was starting to go, and it was really talking,and I was thinking it might 'chair and I still couldn't catch the hinge so I just bailed out. That's how you get to be 65 years old in this business.:D

It's very seldom that I fall a tree and think that everything went perfectly. Some times close enough is good enough but I always try to get it right. As you get more experience you'll be better able to critique your own work. Every tree is a school.

And, since I'm in my Old Fart Lecture mode anyway, I'll throw in one more little piece of advice. You can fall a hundred trees perfectly and that 101st will absolutely humble you for days afterwards. And it should.

Latest posts

Back