Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most people in the Timber industry are callused enough that this kind of banter is the norm. At least in my experience it is....

I've spent the last two days back at the same job as last Thurs and Fri for more Sitka Spruce and Contorted Pine. We used the winch on the tractor to pull some through the trees being left so the hinges are quite large. Sitka are no fun on a hot day !
A fair bit of the timber has gone from site all as firewood. Tomorrow Im up in the biggest University in the country felling trees ready for an building extention so more than likley get some abuse for being a tree killer and all round bad person !!

Last edited:
Tomorrow Im up in the biggest University in the country felling trees ready for an building extention so more than likley get some abuse for being a tree killer and all round bad person !!

Tomorrow will be Saturday? Don't worry, if I know anything about the universities (I should), Trinity College students will be in bed having a massive headache, or they are up to get one, so the'll not be there witnessing an Orangeman marching in.

Posted Up

I've spent the last two days back at the same job as last Thurs and Fri for more Sitka Spruce and Contorted Pine. We used the winch on the tractor to pull some through the trees being left so the hinges are quite large. Sitka are no fun on a hot day !
A fair bit of the timber has gone from site all as firewood. Tomorrow Im up in the biggest University in the country felling trees ready for an building extention so more than likley get some abuse for being a tree killer and all round bad person !!

201031d1317406239-003-jpg

201032d1317406257-004-jpg

201033d1317406264-005-jpg

201034d1317406271-006-jpg

201035d1317406316-007-jpg

like to have that unimog in the one pic. good job though.

Nope, I'm not nitpicking gwasshawpah. You know why Ol Pat will bust a knot in your butt falling timber? Technique. . . Refined technique. . . No wasted movement. You'll be rushing through the woods like a chicken with his head cut off, and you'll still get whooped by technique -- every time.

Why practice the wrong way, when you can practice the right way?

You can't tell me that cutting crossed up is more comfortable, or better. If you have to relearn things in the future, THAT is a big waste of time.

Yep. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Technique!

Good Morning Gentleman! I don't mean to butt in like a jackass after not a word for months, but I been kinda busy. Started calling around in July lookin to get hired on a crew. Unless you're family or juiced in some how forget it around here. So I deceided to start my own show. With a few consultations from Hammer and a lot of signing my life away I've been manufacturing logs under my own name for a few weeks now. I've got a few more decent red oaks like this left in this stand that I will be hittin next week. This last week sucked with lots of rain and wind. Maintainence time on the machine. Doin some welding today and gettin ready for a dry week next week. Hopefully I can stop in more often. I may need a skidder operator soon. LONG days alone, but man its nice to be in the woods everyday!

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 201133

View attachment 201134

Good Morning Gentleman! I don't mean to butt in like a jackass after not a word for months, but I been kinda busy. Started calling around in July lookin to get hired on a crew. Unless you're family or juiced in some how forget it around here. So I deceided to start my own show. With a few consultations from Hammer and a lot of signing my life away I've been manufacturing logs under my own name for a few weeks now. I've got a few more decent red oaks like this left in this stand that I will be hittin next week. This last week sucked with lots of rain and wind. Maintainence time on the machine. Doin some welding today and gettin ready for a dry week next week. Hopefully I can stop in more often. I may need a skidder operator soon. LONG days alone, but man its nice to be in the woods everyday!

Uh oh, sounds like you got bitten bad by the logging bug. I had a feeling that was going to happen to you. :laugh:

Welcome to our world. Just keep repeating to yourself "it's not about money, it's not about money". In fact, make that your morning mantra. If you ever stop and figure your hourly wage you'll get depressed knowing that the kid who changes the french frie oil at MacDonalds probably makes more than you do. ;)

Have fun. Keep being safe.

1. Congratulations to Bitzer

and

2. Cheers to my sweet wife. As she fled to get our good little boy back to sleep I decided to fold her laundry. I found saw chips in her clothes. Never even heard one complaint about that in the past.

Now, know she thinks I'm crazy for what I do, but no complaining. Cheers to that. :cheers:

Back