Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks D&B for poststing up my pics, Philbert gave me the instructions on how to do it but I must be exceptionaly thick as I cannot seem to get it right !!
The Mog in the pics belongs to the guy (also friend) who got me in for a couple of days and although they are a great bit of gear when they go wrong they can be very expensive and awkward to fix. The one in the pic is only 140 hp and has a 9" chipper on the back along with air suspension to cope with the extra weight. Another pal a few miles away has a 160 hp one with 10" chipper and drops that off for a timber trailer with 3 ton hiab ( knuckleboom) with timber grab. There is another customer down the country that has a 220 hp mog and uses a Vermeer BC 1000 behind it ?
I never went for a Mog instead I ran Merc 920 4wd with a 7 ton hyd winch up front and large box chip body and a Vermeer BC 1400. The truck was an ex UK rescue fire tender and boy could it tow ! 200 hp and 3 speed auto box was easier to drive than my jeep !
The job on Saturday was called off due to very bad rain so now on tomorrow, great loads of students around to complain !!
Today just had a Yew to fall ready for the mill, it had a back lean and took some hard work on the wedges to put it over alhough it won't look much in the pic !!

A video of me dumping an ok sized larch today, I know I probably did about 50 things wrong so let er rip, I'm not posting this up to show what I'm doing right, I'm posting it up to see what I'm doing wrong

larch1 0001 - YouTube

The 038 was running good. . . But the 460 was fat.

Did you cut your hinge off? Do you see how the tree rocked on the wedges -- it shouldn't do that of you have a good hinge.

Cut up to about two inches, and stop, whack the wedges a few times, then if she won't go over, tickle the hinge a little, and wedge more (if needed). That hinge is needed, especially on dead wood.

The 038 was running good. . . But the 460 was fat.

Did you cut your hinge off? Do you see how the tree rocked on the wedges -- it shouldn't do that of you have a good hinge.

Cut up to about two inches, and stop, whack the wedges a few times, then if she won't go over, tickle the hinge a little, and wedge more (if needed). That hinge is needed, especially on dead wood.

I'm always afraid of running the 460 too lean, I need to quit being a chiken#### and leave it tuned :D

yeah i got a little hungry with the hinge on the far side, had about an inch or so left on the near side/middle

dude, where I dumped thissen, there's still plenty of his dead friends still upright ;)

I'm always afraid of running the 460 too lean, I need to quit being a chiken#### and leave it tuned :D

yeah i got a little hungry with the hinge on the far side, had about an inch or so left on the near side/middle

dude, where I dumped thissen, there's still plenty of his dead friends still upright ;)

Where about's was that? Was it up Sylvia side or Griffin side?

Back outside I go to weld more. I'll check back in in a few. . . Fricken no-see-em bugs are baaaad outside, I needed a thorough coating of Deet. :msp_mad:

Where about's was that? Was it up Sylvia side or Griffin side?

Back outside I go to weld more. I'll check back in in a few. . . Fricken no-see-em bugs are baaaad outside, I needed a thorough coating of Deet. :msp_mad:

Griffin side, bout 4 miles past Lupine Lake trailhead

Also, damn near knocked myself out today, ate #### bigtime with a saw on my shoulder and caught a couple dogs to the back of the head, bled for about 10 minutes and now I have a couple goose eggs

Last edited:
Griffin side, bout 4 miles past Lupine Lake trailhead

Also, damn near knocked myself out today, ate #### bigtime with a saw on my shoulder and caught a couple dogs to the back of the head, bled for about 10 minutes and now I have a couple goose eggs

That's right by the Sylvia Lake turnoff ain't it?

Dang son. . . Glad it wasn't worse! That's a bad place to hurt yourself, and be alone. Ain't nobody for miles up there.

You got a CB in the truck?

That's right by the Sylvia Lake turnoff ain't it?

Dang son. . . Glad it wasn't worse! That's a bad place to hurt yourself, and be alone. Ain't nobody for miles up there.

You got a CB in the truck?

yessir, the sign said Little Wolf Fire (it was shot to #### so maybe?) i think

nah no cb, if I wasn't so clumsy (or started making my lazy ass wear my calks) I'd be like a damn gazelle, son! :laugh::laugh:

yessir, the sign said Little Wolf Fire (it was shot to #### so maybe?) i think

nah no cb, if I wasn't so clumsy (or started making my lazy ass wear my calks) I'd be like a damn gazelle, son! :laugh::laugh:

Yer part Mountin' goat eh? :laugh:

Yup, that's the turnoff. . . I know the trees you cut on. They're not the easiest to get to, and that's the only reason they were still there.

They grow some big Whities in that area too!

Yer part Mountin' goat eh? :laugh:

Yup, that's the turnoff. . . I know the trees you cut on. They're not the easiest to get to, and that's the only reason they were still there.

They grow some big Whities in that area too!

it's weird these were on a nice gentle slope (made sure they were uphill from the road incase I got dinged up it'd be an easier walk to the rig) not far from the road, the dougie you could see from the road and it looked like crap until you got up to it but it was abot 27" across the butt, the larch you could see from the stump of the doug and it was about 37"

Yeah, I was gonna say it looked like that hinge was a little rotten or something. When wedged, it just broke right off.

I'm no expert myself (as I try to make perfectly clear on here) but I am good friends with a couple of old-timers that I try to absorb knowledge from at any chance.

Anyway, at least you're out there getting practice and experience, Jake. If it weren't for damned Physics and Calculus maybe I could get out more!

Keep the vids and pictures coming! Everybody (myself definitely included) learns more with a greater amount of material to study. :msp_thumbsup:

Also, a question for everyone that cuts larch .... HOW THE #### do you deal with your b&c become one globular nasty hunk after about 1 minute of cutting, my 038 was froze so damn solid I had to pry it apart at home after taking the clutch cover off

here's a dougie from today too, I shoulda been looking up at least a little bit

dougfir1 0001 - YouTube

Gettin' better, more and more practice and you'll get some fluid movements.

+5 for having the PPE on.

Now go practice more! Find a faller to tag along with, pack his gear around. Observe, observe, ask some questions, and observe some more.

Keep at it!

Also, a question for everyone that cuts larch .... HOW THE #### do you deal with your b&c become one globular nasty hunk after about 1 minute of cutting, my 038 was froze so damn solid I had to pry it apart at home after taking the clutch cover off

Run ATF in your bar oil. . . I do 1qt of ATF, to 3qts bar oil. It also thins it nicely for winter cutting.

There are detergents in the ATF that keeps everything moving.

Run ATF in your bar oil. . . I do 1qt of ATF, to 3qts bar oil. It also thins it nicely for winter cutting.

There are detergents in the ATF that keeps everything moving.

Thanks Man :rock:

Does the ATF blend with the bar oil OK?

I'm guessing you have to shake the ever loving piss out of it

Gettin' better, more and more practice and you'll get some fluid movements.

+5 for having the PPE on.

Now go practice more! Find a faller to tag along with, pack his gear around. Observe, observe, ask some questions, and observe some more.

Keep at it!

Thankee Jameson

I guess I'm not sure how I'd go about that, are we talking just roll in to a logging company's office and ask if I can shadow one of their fallers for a while ?

Your chaps and hat match kind of, and you are wearing suspenders so we are not shocked by seeing male cleavage.

Now, don't know if this bothers anybody else, but I do not like to see people making the final cut and standing on the downhill side of the tree, even where it isn't much of a downhill. I doesn't seem like a very good habit to get into.

Latest posts

Back