Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Educate me. Would that xcacline be called an Idaho jammer a little further west?[/QUOTE]

View attachment 211937

It 's the guts out of a LS-98 Link-Belt Yarder mounted atop an excavator, with the skid boom mounted to the excavator boom. Same capability as the Link - Belt, can yard out to about 1400'.

It 's the guts out of a LS-98 Link-Belt Yarder mounted atop an excavator, with the skid boom mounted to the excavator boom. Same capability as the Link - Belt, can yard out to about 1400'.

211937d1324155208-s5003513-640x480-jpg

Dang that brings back memories. . . I hooked under an almost identical setup.

Sam, I thought Cody was grinding all your chain for ya? Are you touching them up with a square file by hand?

Nah, I just hand file my chain. I pretty much never cut anything other than wood anyhow....just that good....:jester:

Here's a sketchy few I got a couple of cell phone pics of: This shows a 14" locust busted about 8-10" off the ground and leaning uphill at a 45 degree into a nice slick red oak, maybe about 28" stump. Its really hung in there with lots of top extending past the limb its leaning on. The red oak is leaning right toward the locust, downhill at a 30 degree angle. This stand has lots of dead locust, its a real danger, even the crap lying on the ground since when a butt hits and slides it can kick that dead wood up and around. ANyhow, after a moment of deliberation, I decide to dump the red oak at a 30 the other way, hoping it takes the locust with it. I faced, bored, and released, with my running shoes double checked. Nothing moved, I creeped back into position and tapped a wedge, nothing. So I went up the hill and smashed a 20" basswood into the whole mess and here I am to talk about it.
View attachment 211868
View attachment 211869
View attachment 211870
View attachment 211871
Some locust is more sketchy than others- like since this one had all this topwood extending past, and was leaning uphill, and so forth. Often you can just dump the tree its in and they go together, rather reliably. Maybe all the recent face shots just made me more careful, thats what wake-up calls are for anyhow.

And, another nice poplar butt.

View attachment 211872

And, i went 2 days without getting busted in the face again so I guess I am on a roll!

Happy weekend everyone.

Yeah, gullets suck.

Nice pics Hammer! Don't you just love those counter-active forces type bull#### situations? Unless you are there its always hard to say what to do. I may have gone after cutting the locust off of the stump first. I love the "now wtf," feeling you get when you think you've got everything right and nothing moves. I had a couple of maples like that not too long ago, except the one hung also had the top busted out and dangling over the stump of the standing one. Hammerin the mess with another tree is the most fun when you can. The crashing that is, not the clean up. I cut alot of dead elm around here, which usually holds together pretty decent. Standing dead ash can be a mess and #### butternut all around. It doesn't like to cooperate with any of my dutchmans and generally has a very fragile, nearly dead top. I love it when I walk up to a marked tree and its already got a windfall teepee in it. Especially when you know the teepee was there before the tree was marked. Nice poplar man! Keep em coming!

Hey Sam, nice pics!

What is the average size of timber you're cutting there? Select?

Unless I had a grinder I don't think I could run square ground. Filing sounds like a pain in the ass, although I've never done it.

Hey Sam, nice pics!

Unless I had a grinder I don't think I could run square ground. Filing sounds like a pain in the ass, although I've never done it.

It's not bad once you learn it, and the benefits outweigh the negs.

Hey Sam, nice pics!

Kind of runs the gammut. Small lodgepole to nicer fir up to maybe 32". Nothing special. Loving the 460 with the light bar. Perfect for every tree.
I don't mind hand chisel filing, I just hate fooling with gullets.

It's not bad once you learn it, and the benefits outweigh the negs.

Wait, so you're saying that I could just buy a bunch of square ground chains and whenever I rock the #### outta em I can just bring em to your house and drop em off for a later pick up date

I think that's what I'm pickin up here :hmm3grin2orange:

Wait, so you're saying that I could just buy a bunch of square ground chains and whenever I rock the #### outta em I can just bring em to your house and drop em off for a later pick up date

I think that's what I'm pickin up here :hmm3grin2orange:

If you do that, I'm setting up my Simington and you can chip in for wheels. :p

BTW, Tom has a square grinder in the back room (by the barshop). . . Not sure what he'd charge ya to grind chain? You'll hate square though, it cuts waaaay too fast. :D

Nate you still don't have the simington setup? You just need to give it to me for christmas if you're not going to use it.:msp_thumbup:

I got a razor sharp on the way to the house right now anyway. I should be back to grinding square by next weekend. I take the gullets way back so the next few sharpenings I don't have to touch them. If you set up the grinder with a real wide side plate you won't have much gullet left to file out.

Nate you still don't have the simington setup? You just need to give it to me for christmas if you're not going to use it.:msp_thumbup:

I got a razor sharp on the way to the house right now anyway. I should be back to grinding square by next weekend. I take the gullets way back so the next few sharpenings I don't have to touch them. If you set up the grinder with a real wide side plate you won't have much gullet left to file out.

I'm going to set it up. . . But I want to become a master with the hand file before I do. I firmly believe I can, or will, be able to hand file a sharper chain than a grinder can produce.

Kind'a a John Henry thing with me I guess. :biggrinbounce2:

If you do that, I'm setting up my Simington and you can chip in for wheels. :p

BTW, Tom has a square grinder in the back room (by the barshop). . . Not sure what he'd charge ya to grind chain? You'll hate square though, it cuts waaaay too fast. :D

How much be a wheel for Simington of whence ye speaketh

Does it cut a whole bunch faster than a round filed?

Stephen wants me to file him some GTG chain. . . He said he wants to annihilate the competition. LOL

It'd be faster to grind it and then work it by hand I'm sure. . . But I'm a sharpening freak. I sharpen all of my buddies knives, and almost every cutting tool I own you can shave with. Hell, I shave with a straight razor, and if it isn't HHT sharp, you'll slice the hell out'a your face, and it's uncomfortable to use.

My wife says it's a sickness! Hahahaha

I'll sit and watch TV and sharpen things. . . She says all she hears is, "Shhhht. . . Shhhht. . . Shhht" as I make passes on the stone. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Stephen wants me to file him some GTG chain. . . He said he wants to annihilate the competition. LOL

It'd be faster to grind it and then work it by hand I'm sure. . . But I'm a sharpening freak. I sharpen all of my buddies knives, and almost every cutting tool I own you can shave with. Hell, I shave with a straight razor, and if it isn't HHT sharp, you'll slice the hell out'a your face, and it's uncomfortable to use.
My wife says it's a sickness! Hahahaha

I'll sit and watch TV and sharpen things. . . She says all she hears is, "Shhhht. . . Shhhht. . . Shhht" as I make passes on the stone. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Whoa wait what? how did this not come up before?
What strop setup you running?

here's my regular stable, a couple are dur for a trip to the Nortons
Clauss, Engstrom, Hi-Tone, Watervelle, Torrey, and a Simon

IMG_1851.jpg

I'm going to set it up. . . But I want to become a master with the hand file before I do. I firmly believe I can, or will, be able to hand file a sharper chain than a grinder can produce.

Kind'a a John Henry thing with me I guess. :biggrinbounce2:

I have no doubt you can file a sharper chain than a grinder. It's not that hard to do but a grinder is consistent and doesn't end up with sore fingers. Between welding a lot and then filing chains and other repetitive tasks filing square has started to get painful so I'm going to grind for work chains and just file play chains every now and then. Grinding them back then working them over by hand is much easier. I've done a few and the grinder saves a ton of time. A round grinder would work too but it takes more effort to get it back to a nice square corner. The blue ceramic wheel is spendy but my favorite.

I use the grinder for taking down the gullets too. I usually just use my hand to bring it to the stone, yes, I know, not very scientific or precise, but it's quick! You can put your chain on the opposite side carriage as you would for grinding the tooth and set up the stops to take out the gullet that way too. The rakers...... now that's the tedious part!

I have no doubt you can file a sharper chain than a grinder. It's not that hard to do but a grinder is consistent and doesn't end up with sore fingers. Between welding a lot and then filing chains and other repetitive tasks filing square has started to get painful so I'm going to grind for work chains and just file play chains every now and then. Grinding them back then working them over by hand is much easier. I've done a few and the grinder saves a ton of time. A round grinder would work too but it takes more effort to get it back to a nice square corner. The blue ceramic wheel is spendy but my favorite.

Yep, not to mention with the grinder you get everything equal, on both sides. Well, except for my gullet grinding! lol Bars and chain last longer too.

How much be a wheel for Simington of whence ye speaketh

Does it cut a whole bunch faster than a round filed?

Yes, it cuts much faster than round, but is more susceptible to dulling if'n you aren't careful. I kept track a couple years ago, and I got 3 cord felled and bucked before I had to refile the chain. I didn't rock-out, but did cut skidded logs. There are also techniques for cutting dirty logs too, which involves back-barring to push the dirt away.

Whoa wait what? how did this not come up before?
What strop setup you running?

here's my regular stable, a couple are dur for a trip to the Nortons
Clauss, Engstrom, Hi-Tone, Watervelle, Torrey, and a Simon

Jake, I use a Chinese 12k stone for honing, and a leather strop with Mothers mag and aluminum polish on it for stropping; then I'll finish on a piece of cardboard.

I've never felt the urge to spend a kings ransom on a bunch of sharpening products.

I shave with my dad's antique 'Shumate's Barber'. . . I reckon it's 100 years old or better.

Back