Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, not to mention with the grinder you get everything equal, on both sides. Well, except for my gullet grinding! lol Bars and chain last longer too.

That's my ultimate goal in the end, to have identical teeth on both sides. Once I'm there, I'll probably use the grinder.

I want to be able to train my son's on filing, and fall back on it if'n I don't have a grinder or the money for wheels.

I really don't find sharpening that tedious. . . Again, it's probably my sharpening fetish at work. :biggrin:

Yes, it cuts much faster than round, but is more susceptible to dulling if'n you aren't careful. I kept track a couple years ago, and I got 3 cord felled and bucked before I had to refile the chain. I didn't rock-out, but did cut skidded logs. There are also techniques for cutting dirty logs too, which involves back-barring to push the dirt away.

Jake, I use a Chinese 12k stone for honing, and a leather strop with Mothers mag and aluminum polish on it for stropping; then I'll finish on a piece of cardboard.

I've never felt the urge to spend a kings ransom on a bunch of sharpening products.

I shave with my dad's antique 'Shumate's Barber'. . . I reckon it's 100 years old or better.

Oh nice, I usually get about a cord out of a chain before it's high time for filing

The Chinese 12k waterstones are nice for finishing, I use the Norton 2k, 4k, 8k

That's my ultimate goal in the end, to have identical teeth on both sides. Once I'm there, I'll probably use the grinder.

I want to be able to train my son's on filing, and fall back on it if'n I don't have a grinder or the money for wheels.

I really don't find sharpening that tedious. . . Again, it's probably my sharpening fetish at work. :biggrin:

Yep, that's great you're teaching your sons.....I have to admit my hand filing leaves alot to be desired now! It's been ALOOOOOONG time since I really handfiled, tried it a year ago or so, just to see. YIKES is all I can say about that!!!!!

Yep, that's great you're teaching your sons.....I have to admit my hand filing leaves alot to be desired now! It's been ALOOOOOONG time since I really handfiled, tried it a year ago or so, just to see. YIKES is all I can say about that!!!!!

Yup, use it or loose it (at least that's what I tell the wife) HA! :biggrin::biggrin:

The oldtimer that first showed me square filing was fast as hell at it. . . Almost too fast. I had to have him slow down, and I still didn't get the angles.

He sold me a couple files, and off to the races I went. I went home a ruined a couple chains, got pissed, and put it away for about 5 years. :laugh:

Tell ya what Jake, you supply me with some files from SaveEdge, and I'll sharpen your chains all day long. . . I want the seat-time to improve and get faster. Then you ain't filing in the woods, you can just swap chains.

Yup, use it or loose it (at least that's what I tell the wife) HA! :biggrin::biggrin:

The oldtimer that first showed me square filing was fast as hell at it. . . Almost too fast. I had to have him slow down, and I still didn't get the angles.

He sold me a couple files, and off to the races I went. I went home a ruined a couple chains, got pissed, and put it away for about 5 years. :laugh:

Tell ya what Jake, you supply me with some files from SaveEdge, and I'll sharpen your chains all day long. . . I want the seat-time to improve and get faster. Then you ain't filing in the woods, you can just swap chains.

I'll get some, but.... ya gotta show me how to square file too :rock:

The cost of those files is what got me wanting to get a grinder. It took me about 20 chains to get pretty decent at keeping stuff even. It was over a $100 in files to learn.

The cost of those files is what got me wanting to get a grinder. It took me about 20 chains to get pretty decent at keeping stuff even. It was over a $100 in files to learn.

No doubt! Them files are expensive, cheapest I've found are the SaveEdge (not quality but cost).

You'll give over $10 at the local Stihl shop for one file.

The best way would be to buy out a stockpile at an auction or fire-sale or the like.

For about 20-40 files, a guy can own a used grinder.

Yeah sometimes you can get one for under $200.:cool2: I bought a lot of files and the first chain I sharpened chipped the corner on the pferd file the first sharpening on the chain. I'm glad I only bought 2 of them to try at the time. Both ended up the same and were only usefuel for little tiny short strokes or raker duty. I bought a dozen save edge last time and I think they were $85 or so. The blue ceramic wheel is about $35 a piece but I like them better than the salmon and white. They will hold the corner better and not need dressing as much. I've really been wanting a pro sharp but they don't come up for sale much.

I paid $230 for my Simington shipped. . . But the boner just threw it in a box with no padding, so it broke the table. . . It also bent a lot of the screws.

It needs work now, but was still a good deal.

Yep, cost of double bevel files vs. just buying a grinder and being done with it has been eating at me. Sick of spending money to go to work though!

There's a nice simington on ebay right now. I watched a nice looking pro sharp just sell on there for $1k. I've wanted one since a swing arm wouldn't let me do what I was wanting as far as angles for some play chains.

I know what you mean about spending money to work. Most of the time it costs me a $1k before I get a paycheck when I start at a new location. The trip to california was about $1800 before I got another check.

Yep, cost of double bevel files vs. just buying a grinder and being done with it has been eating at me. Sick of spending money to go to work though!

It's the same story with a fab shop Sam. . . Lots of work out there that makes a guy spend money to earn a little back.

It's the same story with a fab shop Sam. . . Lots of work out there that makes a guy spend money to earn a little back.

yep, you gotta toss out the T-bone you've got now just so you can get a hotdog to eat later. The funny thing is, you always take the T-bone for granted and whoop and holler when you get ahold of the hotdog

Yep, this year 4 saws, a truck, truck repairs, fuel, saw shop bills, clothes, boots.......no grinder for a while, lol.

yep, you gotta toss out the T-bone you've got now just so you can get a hotdog to eat later. The funny thing is, you always take the T-bone for granted and whoop and holler when you get ahold of the hotdog

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Great analogy Jake!

Yep, this year 4 saws, a truck, truck repairs, fuel, saw shop bills, clothes, boots.......no grinder for a while, lol.

Sucks huh boss! I dropped 15k on equipment before I could even open up a shop, then I had $1500 in rent due the first month, plus electric and other payments.

It'll kill ya quick. . . Sometimes packing a lunchbox to work is a better way to make a living.

Nate I work for a company and it still costs me out the wazoo to just get to work and a place to stay. I'd hate to say what I've spent this year on out of town expenses but I'm guessing $15-20k. I'll know in a few more weeks when I set down and itemize for tax time:mad:

Nate I work for a company and it still costs me out the wazoo to just get to work and a place to stay. I'd hate to say what I've spent this year on out of town expenses but I'm guessing $15-20k. I'll know in a few more weeks when I set down and itemize for tax time:mad:

That seems odd to me, that unless you're subbing to them, they don't cover all that?? What are you doing, no need to drop names if it's hush hush.

Back