Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why three cuts there??

Do you want the long or the short version?

Basically its about continual movement in order to keep the tree on the stump longer whereas a regular dutchman may cause the wood to break before you hit the intended lay.

It looks like a bunch of bull#### and sometimes it is. Its really ####ing cool when you've got it all cut up and the tree is moving well. I'll kill the saw and watch it work. Its a very wierd thing to watch when the woods is dead calm and silent until CRASH!

Do you want the long or the short version?

Basically its about continual movement in order to keep the tree on the stump longer whereas a regular dutchman may cause the wood to break before you hit the intended lay.

It looks like a bunch of bull#### and sometimes it is. Its really ####ing cool when you've got it all cut up and the tree is moving well. I'll kill the saw and watch it work. Its a very wierd thing to watch when the woods is dead calm and silent until CRASH!

That's awesome! Gunna look for some videos. Thanks for the info man!!

Been a while, but I finally got me a little falling fix. In Idaho!

Cut several trees for some friends while on vacation. Cutting birch in these pics. Pictures are kinda small.
409084_10150462295620887_513110886_9157402_856040064_n.jpg

400984_10150462295455887_513110886_9157399_60472702_n.jpg

387573_10150462295485887_513110886_9157400_1826262561_n.jpg

404695_10150462295565887_513110886_9157401_1693830256_n.jpg

I see he didn't make it over the hill to our side either. We'll get him out here one of these days and he'll wonder why it took him so long.

Damn Straight Bob, Idaho can be kindof like his "starter" North West, Don't wanna jump into those Pacific Coast Monster trees or the Awesomeness that is MT all in one big hurried leap, ya know

Are you back home yet, you No-Montana-visitin' sum##### :msp_w00t:

Hey, I ate lunch in Troy. Does that count? :hmm3grin2orange:

Taterland? You are getting closer.

A step at a time seems to be working!

We'll get him out here one of these days and he'll wonder why it took him so long.

You got that right!

EDIT: Got to run square grind chain that day. That stuff is the hot sauce, especially in softwoods. Worked great in the hardwoods, too. Square is definitely a little faster than round, can't argue with that.

Ground up about 6 loops of chain on an old swing arm. We'll see how I did once I get them.

Last edited:
Hey, I ate lunch in Troy. Does that count? :hmm3grin2orange:

A step at a time seems to be working!

You got that right!

EDIT: Got to run square grind chain that day. That stuff is the hot sauce, especially in softwoods. Worked great in the hardwoods, too. Square is definitely a little faster than round, can't argue with that.

Ground up about 6 loops of chain on an old swing arm. We'll see how I did once I get them.

Uhhh, no, that's not too representative of MT, those people you saw shooting up crank in the street and setting fire to any car with out of county plates and abandoned buildings aren't my people

Nice pics Jameson! I'll bet it was fun to get some time on the saw!

Meat and potatoes.
attachment.php

This seems to be the norm on the new job. Runnin the 394 with a 32"er daily. I'm diggin fillin my bunk with 4-6 logs and a few pulp sticks.

View attachment 217047

The guy's a certified badass, just look at that setup he's rockin in the falling contest, busted to hell tin hat, chaps that were the first leg protection prototype, and a Poulan from when they were the ####

Kept er in the boundry. She had just a little lean, just a little.

attachment.php

View attachment 214999

I see im not the only one who uses a soft dutchman in hardwoods...lol..it leaves a stump that looks like a beaver was at it but hey it works..d@mn well sometimes too...i've only had a couple that didnt co-operate with it but id say success rate is a little more than the fail so...but most trees dont take much more than a regular dutchman to get them to do what you want.....i've used a soft dutchman in combo with a siswheel on some really bad leaners and walked them away from 180 degrees to the lean...again it leaves a he11 of a stump but wtf..it worked and stayed with my current lay. But it has to have just the right amount of limb weight and lean to make everything work as planned...and you need a solid tree..no rot or failure will arise. It is also very easy to loose a tree over sideways with this method. I got a question bitzer..do you start your backcut with the higher cut or the lower?...i have expiremented a little bit and it seems that if you use the higher or the middle cut the results come out a little better in your favor.

Back