Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, if'n a guy can get away with yarding that ground, everyone involved loves it -- from the fallers to the rigging crew. And like ya say, it's cleaner than cat work.

It's nice to have a break from the steeps every now and then.

Nice right now, muddier than hell, but they're still letting us go.

Its spring here too. F'n bull####. Anyway here is the biggest ash on my current job. A few inches outside of the 28" bar tip. I found out why I've been bucking off the first 8 footer (heart rot) for fire wood on this job and why the trees are so bushy, mangled, and short. It was an old cow pasture. Lots of fun re-generation to cut out in order to lay these damn things out.

This one actually had some decent logs in it.
attachment.php

Kinda missed the lay. Just too much weight for the wood to bear.
attachment.php

Heres why: first limb about 20' up was 18" where I flushed it and spanned 40'. All of the limb weight and lean was down the hill. I brought it away from the shed anyway though and didn't break any of the wood! If the limbs would have been straight enough I could have gotten four more logs out of it. Good bump to the firewood pile though.
attachment.php

I ran around in my spankin new Hoffamn pac caulks today and they kicked ass! It was the perfect day for it too. Freezin rain then snow then regular rain. Where in the hell is winter?
View attachment 214302
View attachment 214303
View attachment 214304

Dang Bitz! Ya can't win fer losing with the weather huh?

That's a **** lay for that tree! :laugh:

If'n that was a conifer, you would have power-bucked the crap out'a that thing. :biggrin:

Glad you like your new caulks. . . I couldn't imagine working in the woods without mine.

If'n that was a conifer, you would have power-bucked the crap out'a that thing. :biggrin:

Glad you like your new caulks. . . I couldn't imagine working in the woods without mine.

I remember getting wood with Uncle Boyd one time and dropped a decent sized Dougie on a step about like that thinking it would just kinda straddle it like in the pictures..... WRONG, two chains later and it came out of the woods like a miniature version of the oulde tymey lags they daisy chained together and hauled out with a donkey engine

Seen a DF dropped off a step like that, broke it clean right below the branches and the log, about 30" and some 40', jumped back up in the air a good 20+ feet. Branches flying everywhere too.

Mr. HE:cool:

Seen a DF dropped off a step like that, broke it clean right below the branches and the log, about 30" and some 40', jumped back up in the air a good 20+ feet. Branches flying everywhere too.

Trees like that always cause a comment from somebody, like the side rod or the bullbuck..."Well, I guess we could send that one to Diamond Match."

The faller always has some good excuses ready..."The wind caught it" or "Musta had some defect right where it broke" or "Well, we need some short logs anyway."

Trees like that always cause a comment from somebody, like the side rod or the bullbuck..."Well, I guess we could send that one to Diamond Match."

The faller always has some good excuses ready..."The wind caught it" or "Musta had some defect right where it broke" or "Well, we need some short logs anyway."

In this case the only comments were "Good job" because it was the only way to set 'er down without hitting a house.:rock:

There was a little ribbing over the uneven hinge, fiber pull, cutting it at chest height on flat ground, etc.:hmm3grin2orange:

In this case the only comments were "Good job" because it was the only way to set 'er down without hitting a house.:rock:

There was a little ribbing over the uneven hinge, fiber pull, cutting it at chest height on flat ground, etc.:hmm3grin2orange:

That's better than getting ribbed for smushing a house. :laugh:

Come on that was the perfect spot for it! If it would have been a decent straight ash it would have busted all to hell. Then again I wouldn't have missed so bad either. With that heavy top it went over like a pumpkin on a pitchfork!

I tell ya though the weather is really killin me. Go figure, the year I get my #### together and deceide to go logging we have a wet fall and no winter to speak of yet.

Last edited:
Come on that was the perfect spot for it! If it would have been a decent straight ash it would have busted all to hell. Then again I wouldn't have missed so bad either. With that heavy top it went over like a pumpkin on a pitchfork!

I tell ya though the weather is really killin me. Go figure, the year I get my #### together and deceide to go logging we have a wet fall and no winter to speak of yet.

Yeah, this weak winter was supposed to not happen. Our local weather guesser stood in front of the camera and just scratched his head. We're supposed to be in La Nina and cold and wet -- but instead we've been warm and a little drier.

I'm thinking it'll come in like a lamb, and leave like a lion. Even the Old Farmers Almanac said bad winter, super hot summer, and their more often right compared to the weather guessers.

It's really killing my buddies who supplement their income with snowplowing. :(

Happy New Year everbody
kept it at home last night, must be gettin old (or just fed up with the hordes or ####heads that occupy Whitefish bars and the 98% tweekers/bros that occupy Kalispell bars year-round)

Happy Year.

What are you Montaaaana guys doing? :smile2: We are having a hefty wind coming from your direction.
Here's the weather. Note the freezing level.

Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain and snow north part in the morning. Snow level 1500 feet increasing to 4500 feet in the afternoon. Afternoon pass temperatures in the lower to mid 30s. East wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph.
» ZIP Code Detail
Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Freezing level 6500 feet. East wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back