Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
see we didn't get that here, i just got kicked in the arse for bustin a tree and told not to do that again...........???????? my dad didn't rally understand why trees chaired, i didn't either. alot of thought and open minded listening has brought me to where i am now.

Good point and you're right, too.
I'm glad video cameras weren't around when I was learning to fall. The constructive criticism I received was mostly in the form of "WTF was that!!??" and was usually followed by very clear instruction on how to do it right the next time.

"What do you have going here?"
"Are you sure you want to be doing that?"
"Oh crap!"
"I see what you did here, can you tell me why?"
"Maybe you ought to step back and have another look"

Ray was very polite

Here was my instruction from my uncle- "you cut the notch where you want it to go and cut the back until it goes. Then run like hell! I'll be back at the end of the day to see how you did."

I had 100 boxelders to cut around an old barnyard ranging in 10" to 48" and about 2 hours of time on a saw prior to that. A big one exploded (chaired/split) like lightning when I was just into the backcut. The wheels started to turn after that. Theres a little more to this then what I was led to believe. I figured out how to manipulate hinges and notches so I could swing em within a couple of days. I also bought a longer bar by the end of the week (24" vs 16"). That helped me stay a little farther from trouble. I pulled all those stumps so thankfully there is no evidence. I'm amazed how lucky I was.

521863100b21f2afdbf69f781dcb9fb8.jpg

Next patch of timber 60 to 70 years old alder, some nice 5 foot cedar, and about 20 acres of fir in the corner ranging from 100 to 175 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gol= boring the back cut, generally with a saw that is to small or bar that is too short. Not necessarily looked down on, just a waste of time on most timber, the game of logging mentality is that all trees need bored period, they don't, there are other more productive methods, some are safer, some are easier to steer with.

Ms P, Alders are a little more brittle when frozen, but are lighter on account of not having the sap up, its a trade off. I reality they are just brittle and chair prone all the damn time. Veneer buyers are going nucking futs over them right now, anything over 12" and straight paying close to ceder prices.

Used to be low grade... fire wood etc...

Then someone noticed it can be stained to look like damn near anything... and its fairly hard when dry... Poof alder market.

Does look a little like birch, different bark though, same white wood though. Our alders will stain red after a few days, usually on the butts, probably a scientific reason for this couldn't tell ya why.

Well I don't mind doing a straight through back cut on certain species but on certain species and rough ground I wouldn't dare. But I'm not so closed minded I cant learn from others techniques and put them to use were I cut. Just sayin

tn logger, i was a straight up stump jumper at one time. in the past few years i have cut just about any and all with directional falling techniqes. it still amazes me how it works so well.............that said, if you do try some, try it on easy sticks untill your comfortable. i did put my own spin on some things bot i always have a face and proper hinge now.
i never even knew about GOL either, i tried it a few times. as you said, we never stop learning if we only listen and think.

Well said and I started out stump jumping. I didnt have nobody teach me how to cut timber. Really! My dad farms and cut his own timber on his own land when it needed it. That being said he just cut it anyway to get it on the ground. I fell into logging. I was a electrical teacher in a state penatraiary. My grandpa had a farm he bought in 1955 and had never cut a stick on it, bad wind storm took a bunch down and he tryed to get a local logger to cut it.Guy kept telling him ill be there and never came. So I talked my dad into helping me and lets cut it. So we did. Just the blow down to start with. I fell in love with logging. Then I got another feller wanted me to cut some for him and another and the rest is history. I've been logging full time now for bout five years. With that said I bought got killed serval times stump jumping big timber. So after being around the mill and other logger I came to learn bout hinge cutting, still nobody came to the woods and showed me how so I learned on my own and yes I do bore some and some I don't but I will say that hinge cutting is the safest and only way to cut timber period. Whether u straight back cut or bore amd leave a hinge. Some trees don't need it someI think do. Bar size is like vehicle prefrence everybody's got one. I like to run a bar long enough that if I do bore it goes all the way through and I'm not running around the tree fifty times but to each there own. However u cut the most important is u go home to ur family at the end of the day alive. Im still learning, but I'm still in love. Best thing I ever did as far as work is concerned is start logging I ain't rich and won't never be but I start my day everyday looking forward to going to work

Latest posts

Back