Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats awesome! Its been hovering around freezing here. Not good enough. It was mid 30s last weekend and its going to be the same this weekend. Just figures- big timber, short skid, things are really clicking and the weather doesn't wanna hold.

no need to worry as long as you don't go and start selling them...

From what I understand silvey went TU cause they had trouble getting the castings done for a decent cost, original supplier closed or something.
When I talked with Madsens they said Silvey wouldn't buy castings from overseas. To get the cost back down to keep grinder prices from doubling or more they would have to buy 10k units and they didn't think the industry would support it in 20 years.

I agree! You wana go half in on a grinder? I'll sharpen six months worth of chain then ship it to you for the other half of the year.

Tempting, but I'm way too much of a slacker to deal with shipping.

When I talked with Madsens they said Silvey wouldn't buy castings from overseas. To get the cost back down to keep grinder prices from doubling or more they would have to buy 10k units and they didn't think the industry would support it in 20 years.

That is exactly the story I got from them. I wonder, though, how much needs to be cast? Gets me thinking about 3-D printing again. I bet the frame could be printed, the small fine bits CNC'd, and motor and light sourced off-the-shelf. That would leave a bunch of hardware and wiring to figure out. Somebody more clever than me should really get on this because surely there is a market for it.

Thats awesome! Its been hovering around freezing here. Not good enough. It was mid 30s last weekend and its going to be the same this weekend. Just figures- big timber, short skid, things are really clicking and the weather doesn't wanna hold.
same here......freeze, thaw, repeat.........i really wanted to move the loader today......damned if i will rut up a good road the first day on a new job.

Tempting, but I'm way too much of a slacker to deal with shipping.

That is exactly the story I got from them. I wonder, though, how much needs to be cast? Gets me thinking about 3-D printing again. I bet the frame could be printed, the small fine bits CNC'd, and motor and light sourced off-the-shelf. That would leave a bunch of hardware and wiring to figure out. Somebody more clever than me should really get on this because surely there is a market for it.

Motors is cheap, wiring is as simple as a three way toggle, baldor buffers will work in either direction there is a dingle thingy inside em to control direction, just ad a second and wire it backwards. Could even get fancy and have a reaostat to control speed... or just ****ing cheat and buy the motor with said thingys attached...

The cast bits could be machined from billet rather than cast, cost would be more then cast per unit, but not needing 10,000 pieces to cover set up kinda helps (more then a little...). Also using any old aluminum would help with cost rather then getting fancy with certified stuff (paper work costs more money... lots more). By the way sand casting is dirt ****ing cheap, the tooling is bits of wood, they charge an assload cause there isn't really any competition and they can then ***** about there jobs going overseas... any monkey with a weed dragon some spare time, play ground sand, betonite and some motor oil can make sand castings... (I'll stop that rant now...)

The rest is off the shelf parts at fastener supply houses, or any industrial supply worth its name (diamond dressers etc.)

All told probably $3-400 in material, and another $3-400 in man hours... once it was proven and rolling, turn around with a modest markup, badda bing yer in business...

after all there are only like 8-9 machined bits, and a handfull of bolts, stuck on top of a malleable steel stand... **** the light is 10 bucks at any hardware store.

Anyway someone else needs to jump on this I'm trying to stay in the woods...

69099101a7a45513f38ef16841c4c133.jpg

From the first day of cutting last Friday I'll get a few more when I get a change, been working on my CDL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of that is the vine maple stuff grows like weeds and far as I know there's no real use for it either.

You can buy vine maple at nurseries to plant in your yard. It does provide entertainment and excitement sometimes. I was amazed at the unanticipated launching of a block of firewood I cut. I missed one of the vine maple spring poles that was well hidden in the ferns. The launch was impressive.

You can buy vine maple at nurseries to plant in your yard. It does provide entertainment and excitement sometimes. I was amazed at the unanticipated launching of a block of firewood I cut. I missed one of the vine maple spring poles that was well hidden in the ferns. The launch was impressive.
Itll chatter your teeth when cutting like you said can get quite entertaining.

Back