Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a cool setup all it's missing is the moving cab that lifts and tilts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's pretty sweet, the big guy bought two komatsu 400's. The one in the pic has a 70 foot jewel long reach boom, and the other one got jewel's yarder conversion. They move some wood.

20151006_112826.jpg

Are you so sure about that? Last time I checked you guys have lost more guys in the woods last year then we did. I do company work and trust me it's safety first hell we were talking to the clear cut Forester today and they only have one part time faller for two tree farms before last year it was 4 full time. And before the levelers fallers ruled yes some guys got hurt or killed I've known a few of each but nothing like you are down there. To another point we all have rules we have but they all say with best judgement of the situation at hand, even you guys do I've sat through a couple days of meeting for safety from some of your blokes down there.

Yes for certain, you guys lost 91 last year & we lost 3. Straya has the lowest workplace death rate of any developed nation, around 1 : 100,000, a fair few of us haven't a problem telling anyone to FO & go get someone else stupid enough to do something dangerous, or anything else as a matter of fact.

Yes for certain, you guys lost 91 last year & we lost 3. Straya has the lowest workplace death rate of any developed nation, around 1 : 100,000, a fair few of us haven't a problem telling anyone to FO & go get someone else stupid enough to do something dangerous, or anything else as a matter of fact.
If you say so, but hey what's a guy dropping off a hill side with a cable no leveler or no true forestry machine now tell me who's the idiots now? You guys do plenty for mistakes and to be honest does your ministry tell you guys everything? Who knows I know this if you think you're so great then show us and how much of this is because you guys don't hand fall hand at all anymore vs here where we still have to on certain terrain? I know the guys that do the tethering they will tell the guys down there will come straight up a cliff with the machine where we can't do that OHSA has a fit. To us not always leaving the stump have you ever been on steep enough ground where you can't leave a stump before? My guess is no, I'll say this it's not much fun having to stay there but sometimes the safest place is to be at the stump no matter what. Personally experience I've been drilled in the head and shoulder by a limb from a 45 degree angle up hill from the stump a 100 feet back guess what if I had stayed nothing would of happened.

If you say so, but hey what's a guy dropping off a hill side with a cable no leveler or no true forestry machine now tell me who's the idiots now? You guys do plenty for mistakes and to be honest does your ministry tell you guys everything? Who knows I know this if you think you're so great then show us and how much of this is because you guys don't hand fall hand at all anymore vs here where we still have to on certain terrain? I know the guys that do the tethering they will tell the guys down there will come straight up a cliff with the machine where we can't do that OHSA has a fit. To us not always leaving the stump have you ever been on steep enough ground where you can't leave a stump before? My guess is no, I'll say this it's not much fun having to stay there but sometimes the safest place is to be at the stump no matter what. Personally experience I've been drilled in the head and shoulder by a limb from a 45 degree angle up hill from the stump a 100 feet back guess what if I had stayed nothing would of happened.

You are clearly misinformed, we do hand fall & we do have steep country, our workplace laws are made in conjunction & consultation with those in the industry, some things are non negotiable though because to do them is suicide, mechanisation is the preferred method on crown / public lands but the private property sector production is almost that of crown & that's where hand falling is in the majority, I forget the exact numbers but a very high percentage of Faller deaths happen within around 6 meters of the stump. Sure I have fallen on steep country, that's just the general coastal range conditions where I am & no I have never ever stayed at the stump, I value my life more than doing that, a guy I went to school with who was a very experienced Faller died by not having an escape route in a dead end gully, the investigation found he shouldn't have even attempted to fall the marked tree & he should have left it, because it was marked he must have thought he had to fall it or get the sack.

There're pretty good by the looks of it, they hardly left a blade of grass behind

Looks like rock and brush to me. Not much grass in that country. You're getting to be like my 12 year old daughter. Argues with anything no matter what. I still haven't seen a new stump from you. Something we can grade and adjust for your skill level.

Rico, I appreciate all the pictures and videos that you post.

The same (my appreciation) goes for all the others that post pictures and videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Stowe Boy. I appreciate the fact that you appreciate my pics and vids? Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Hugs all around gentlemen!

I reckon we'll eventually go almost full circle.

Kinda funny how the old-timers ways of bringing their or someone else's good kids through the ranks slowly but surely with enough time to weed out or redirect those who won't make the cut and promote the worthy on to more risky/responsible roles , will eventually be considered self-evidently sensible and given the respect it deserves for being an extremely worthwhile and sustainable way to keep people working safely in an inherently dangerous industry.

Great post. Thats how its done and should be done!

image.png image.png
https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.a...rch/statistics/fatalities/fatality-statistics

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cfoi.pdf

ahem... AU 46 deaths

USA 21

get yer fact straight BW and there is certainly a lot more loggers in the US then AU
Your AU numbers are for forestry, fishing & agriculture combined you have to look a bit further elsewhere to see the separate numbers, I can't find the exact reference to my quoted number but from the pic above you can see the breakdown which still includes those pesky fishermen, & we lose a few every year. your gotcha moment is just egg on your face. Your US 21 is a made up dream as anyone can clearly see its 91

Looks like rock and brush to me. Not much grass in that country. You're getting to be like my 12 year old daughter. Argues with anything no matter what. I still haven't seen a new stump from you. Something we can grade and adjust for your skill level.
My comment was a joke , are you wound up too tight or sumtin

Great post. Thats how its done and should be done!
Unfortunately those days are almost completely gone. The whole commerce system has been manipulated to where those that produce the most, with the most risk, investment & skill level who used to make a decent living have been used by the greedy chair polishers with no consciousness or remorse of those they exploit & profit from to make immense wealth.

Tell you what, I ran a lot of cat, like more than 30,000 hrs worth, in lots of very dangerous situations. I've been around a lot of hoe brushing operations too. **** happens, but acting like an operator inside a metal box is suicidal for pushing over a snag makes you sound like you've got your panties in a bunch. I've made mistakes on a dozer, I had three 30+ inch spruce come over backwards over the top of my blade one day right onto the canopy on my D8 while I was walking a lease down one day. It's impossible to even look at the top of each tree when you are doing it, they do land on you and especially broken tops. We would walk down entire leases second gear full tilt, decelerate if we were worried about a tree coming over backwards or breaking and get back into it as soon as contact was made. I never bent a canopy sweep or damaged a FOPS in 11 years. The hoe mentioned above must have only been ROPS equipped, not FOPS. That tree should never have had a chance to gut that cab unless it was a lot larger than what I'm picturing. Even then you can cripple em up just like with a saw and convince them to move sideways to you. Should never be pulled straight back, even though by design an excavator is meant to pull not push (way more force on the stick cylinder pulling because of surface area). In huge trees I could see it being a real danger but not in anything under probably four feet on the butt. I've seen cats and hoes rolled with no visible damage to the Fops/rops. More danger for an operator lies in raking and piling operations in my opinion.

Madhatte this is in no way an attack on your guy, on you or what you are saying. I think BW is being a bit of a bed wetter. Stuff happens in the bush. You can't always foresee every danger. How you react when something goes sideways is what dictates whether you get hurt or worse or come away unscathed. Little bit of luck doesn't hurt either.

We have put a cable in a tree & pulled with a Hoe when the Tree couldn’t be accessed from behind the lay. “Gently Bentley”, as my old Czech friend would say.

Unfortunately those days are almost completely gone. The whole commerce system has been manipulated to where those that produce the most, with the most risk, investment & skill level who used to make a decent living have been used by the greedy chair polishers with no consciousness or remorse of those they exploit & profit from to make immense wealth.
Preaching to the choir brother. Merry Christmas Mr. B Wildered

Latest posts

Back