Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When softwood is 120 foot tall sometimes the tops just crack when hit the ground ,with all the limbs it's going to happen sometimes if you get 2 - 40 footers before the crack ,no loss ,tops are so limby i just use em for firewood most of the time myself.
Not just limby but they make a snake look straight as well it's pulp in my book, as a land owner and contractor I love the guys that leave the pulp piles it makes it pretty easy to talk a land owner into doing the job as long as all wood is cleaned up and piled.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's too bad we can't get Bwildered over on this side of the pond. Maybe he could give us a skill demonstration. We promise that no matter how obnoxious he is we won't add any pages to his dental record. We might make him ride in the back of the crummy though, just to get some peace and quiet.
He could pack in with us on steep ground and spend the day. One day would probably be enough for him.
We could stand him up next to a good size Doug or Sugar Pine, show him where we want the tree, and watch him work. And then another, and another, and another, and another just as fast and hard as a guy could safely go. You know, real logging. As in "you find fault with everything we do...show us what you got there, hot stuff".
I'll bet we could find him some short ground and a big cedar and tell him that he loses points...and maybe his job...if he busts it up. I wouldn't let him anywhere near a redwood.
In return we could swing a couple of trees for him. We could show him that it really is possible to do the things we already know we can do. He doubts us. His loss.
I doubt if he'd take us up on a day in the woods with real loggers. He's a weekend warrior, a one tree a day kinda guy. That's not so bad but he won't listen to the people he should be listening to. Again, his loss.
If he had to perform and produce at our level on a continuous basis he'd melt like the snowflake he is.
And no, I haven't taken him off ignore. I can tell from NM's post what kind of blather Bwildered is spewing. Same stuff, different day.

It's too bad we can't get Bwildered over on this side of the pond. Maybe he could give us a skill demonstration. We promise that no matter how obnoxious he is we won't add any pages to his dental record. We might make him ride in the back of the crummy though, just to get some peace and quiet.
He could pack in with us on steep ground and spend the day. One day would probably be enough for him.
We could stand him up next to a good size Doug or Sugar Pine, show him where we want the tree, and watch him work. And then another, and another, and another, and another just as fast and hard as a guy could safely go. You know, real logging. As in "you find fault with everything we do...show us what you got there, hot stuff".
I'll bet we could find him some short ground and a big cedar and tell him that he loses points...and maybe his job...if he busts it up. I wouldn't let him anywhere near a redwood.
In return we could swing a couple of trees for him. We could show him that it really is possible to do the things we already know we can do. He doubts us. His loss.
I doubt if he'd take us up on a day in the woods with real loggers. He's a weekend warrior, a one tree a day kinda guy. That's not so bad but he won't listen to the people he should be listening to. Again, his loss.
If he had to perform and produce at our level on a continuous basis he'd melt like the snowflake he is.
And no, I haven't taken him off ignore. I can tell from NM's post what kind of blather Bwildered is spewing. Same stuff, different day.
Now that's funny, you must have an all terrain wheelchair with an oxygen supply to be still able to do any of that! You know nothing about what I do & have done , I like it that way, it just shows your ignorance .

I mean, we don't even bother modeling for, much less marketing, topwood. Lop/scatter/crush -- it's better left on the ground to hold and improve the soil than moving it anywhere.
It makes a great mat to run the harvesters on too with less soil damage.

Bwildered We'll never really know, you've removed the picture evidence, I must say you're a very tidy logger to drag away a blown up top before the money log, thats a lot of work covering up for a brain fart which we all have at times

Never deleted any pictures, just the link from your post to make things clearer for the average reader that hasn't figured out just how utterly full of **** you are.

As for the top, its still where it landed, 3 feet from where the end of that log was sitting. Cause in fact I make one helluva mess and don't bother cleaning it up until I"m done as I have nothing to hide.

You spouting off about broken logs, is merely confirming your ignorance, or just being an *******, either way, blowing up a picture on a stem that was 74' to where I bucked it at around 7" and claiming its a waste is foolish, as the rest of the top would have been thrown away anyways.

I can't sell anything under 5" or less then 16' regardless of species, losing a little bit of the top is not a big deal when the tree was only about 90' to begin with, if the tree was 20' taller, I could have gotten a 3rd log out of it with no issues.

Sure I could go broke limbing for pulp, but frankly I have better things to do with my saw gas and sweat.

Enjoy talking to yourself on ignore.
Hold on there slim, I never said anything about waste, the blown up cut looked suspiciously like it was cut by a beginner or a logger having a brain fart, if it was a saw log & the top was blown then one would have though the defective part would have been docked out. Go back & check your previous pics, there is a least one missing, the one of the head of the tree you fell into the other two was gone. ( and now it's back & another is missing ) Skunning leave trees by falling another into them doesn't seem like a clever thing to do, especially when it backfired the way it did.

depending on what the LO wants I'll sort out the bigger tops for firewood, otherwise they get tossed in the slash piles.

If i had a processor or at the least a delimber they would for sure go to pulp, hand processing them is rough work though.
Down here even the small guys do pulp it's pretty much required by all land owners but most guys are using shovels as well for a single man operation.

Down here even the small guys do pulp it's pretty much required by all land owners but most guys are using shovels as well for a single man operation.

Well pulp just doesn't pay, barely covers trucking, and I'm not that far from the pulp mill, so until I get grapples and a delimber, its just not an option.

But then I don't generally work on bigger ground, and a few piles are easily dealt with.

This latest job has gotten out of hand though, easily the most productive project I've dealt with. So lots of mess everywhere, though most of it has been cleaned up already, just not wear I'm currently working, its a big patch for me.

Well pulp just doesn't pay, barely covers trucking, and I'm not that far from the pulp mill, so until I get grapples and a delimber, its just not an option.

But then I don't generally work on bigger ground, and a few piles are easily dealt with.

This latest job has gotten out of hand though, easily the most productive project I've dealt with. So lots of mess everywhere, though most of it has been cleaned up already, just not wear I'm currently working, its a big patch for me.
You ever thought about a limbing gate? Not sure if it would work with a cable skidder or not but it'd be a cheap way to start vs a processor or stroker.

Thought about it, but its pretty much one log at a time, with a cable skidder that's just madness.

A Denzco Danharco what evers... and a set of grapples would be skookum though, still need to buck everything, but then I could stack em and go with the skidder then spend an hour or too limbing and sorting, or like I'm doing now skidding and stacking as I go, with an added step of delimbing tops.

Run out of ground fast with 4 or more sorts going though.

There is an out fit making a purely mechanical delimber, stripper? I think they are calling it, that sort of set up would be ideal for what I'm doing, but they want 10g's for basically $500 in square tubing and a weekend or 3 of welding. http://stripperdelimber.com/

A guy could fabricoble one pretty easily and just chain it to a handy stump and be on your merry.

Thought about it, but its pretty much one log at a time, with a cable skidder that's just madness.

A Denzco Danharco what evers... and a set of grapples would be skookum though, still need to buck everything, but then I could stack em and go with the skidder then spend an hour or too limbing and sorting, or like I'm doing now skidding and stacking as I go, with an added step of delimbing tops.

Run out of ground fast with 4 or more sorts going though.

There is an out fit making a purely mechanical delimber, stripper? I think they are calling it, that sort of set up would be ideal for what I'm doing, but they want 10g's for basically $500 in square tubing and a weekend or 3 of welding. http://stripperdelimber.com/

A guy could fabricoble one pretty easily and just chain it to a handy stump and be on your merry.

You'd be amazed at how much you can strip with just a grapple, running a pull through will kill a shovel pretty quick they will kill a rotex bearing. We use to have a self contained CTR setup it worked really good had a top saw ect, but it started killing the rotex after about 5500 hours on our shovel in thinning wood.

One of the outfits who seems to get every third or fourth one of our contracts has a neat delimber/harvester unit I don't know the name of, shovel drops the skidded tree on a bunk and it's limbed and bucked in a single movement, ready to be loaded. I'll grab a pic next chance I get. It's the only one I've seen like this. I think it's hydraulic, run from some kind of PTO from the shovel.

Yeah, 5000 hours is a whole bunch of wood though.

And lets face it, my excavator already has over 10000 on it so if she dies at 15000, I should probably be looking at something a little younger.
Since we got rid of the pull through that same machine is well north of 15k on the same rotex and one undercarriage it's been used for shovel logging as well as scarifying.

One of the outfits who seems to get every third or fourth one of our contracts has a neat delimber/harvester unit I don't know the name of, shovel drops the skidded tree on a bunk and it's limbed and bucked in a single movement, ready to be loaded. I'll grab a pic next chance I get. It's the only one I've seen like this. I think it's hydraulic, run from some kind of PTO from the shovel.

Sounds like a Hahn setup about like this, there was a few down here at one time seen one for sale up around your guys area not long ago.
f1c7532e292df5affcb89b2f33de27ec.jpg

Here's the exact setup we use to run before going to the processors.

Back