Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough to follow the previous acts, but here goes- 3'+ on the stump White Pine.
View attachment 1013028
Nice job Leeroy.
Hello Long Bar,
I am in Rhode Island. Stihl MS461 with a 16" bar lol. 72 ck square filed.
Guess you could call me short bar 16.
How's that saying go, it's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm 🤣.
Here's an elm I dropped in front of the barn this spring. I was fishing a little deeper, needed a 32 to get the bore cut through/low side of the hinge set up at an angle because of the other stem, went as planned.

Here's the other stem, it was back leaning pretty bad, but the little kubota and the skidding winch had no problem with it.

Here is another one the landowner took. Decided bumping it with the forwarder might give me shoulder a break
View attachment 1013359
Sometimes they need a little help.
I use the kubota and the skidding winch often, I call it my Japanese felling tool/ apparatus sometimes. I'm not a fan of driving wedges.
Since my pictures won't load from my phone for some reason, here's a couple more videos from this summer.

Heck, sometimes I don't even put a notch in them :laugh:.

Nice job @chipper1 ! You are hired!
Forgot to ask, where do I punch in at. Sure hope I at least get a 20" bar on my saw lol.
Really bummed I can't get my pics to load from the cloud. Then when I look back at my photos on the phone they go from April 2 to last August 🙃.
But I can take a screenshot and that will load.
Screenshot_20220828-233250_Photos.jpg

NE Minnesota also has a rich history of white pine logging. We’re fortunate to have a few big ones still standing on our lake cabin’s property. They’re beautiful trees. Unlike the balsam and spruce weeds that are succumbing to bud worm and beetles. Nothing to do about that but drop em.

Sometimes they need a little help.
I use the kubota and the skidding winch often, I call it my Japanese felling tool/ apparatus sometimes. I'm not a fan of driving wedges.
Since my pictures won't load from my phone for some reason, here's a couple more videos from this summer.

Heck, sometimes I don't even put a notch in them :laugh:.

Looking good at the homestead Chipper!
Those tractors with a winch are handy. I did a job a few years ago and opted to use the landowne s Kubota and Farmi instead of the forwarder for a handful of small pitch and white pines between his house and garage and a road behind us. He knew what he was doing and gently pulled when I signal d him. Some guys like to pour on the coal too soon, that gets hairy.

Looking good at the homestead Chipper!
Those tractors with a winch are handy. I did a job a few years ago and opted to use the landowne s Kubota and Farmi instead of the forwarder for a handful of small pitch and white pines between his house and garage and a road behind us. He knew what he was doing and gently pulled when I signal d him. Some guys like to pour on the coal too soon, that gets hairy.
Thanks, done a ton of work here this spring, can't wait to get the barn wrapped up.
A farmi is what I wanted, but a winch in general is hard enough to find, I drove 2 hrs to get this one and it had a bad clutch. They're very handy and low impact compared to a dedicated skidder/forwarder. I've gotten pretty good with this one, set up 180 to the lean, test to make sure I can actually pull it, let the tension off and then get the cable tight enough so it supports the tree and won't sit back, notch, set the hinge with a bore cut, step cut blow the bore crossing it, pull as hard as you need. Obviously some of this has to be adjusted a bit, good to practice in an environment that isn't target rich.

Been dropping a few white pine at a buddies cabin. All where pulled to the lay as they all had side lean, back lean, and the first pic is one that was a good sized double I dropped together.
20220915_164116.jpg20220920_132319.jpg
Managed to get this load of logs and three more nice ones out of the one with my daughter in it, everything else was bucked into firewood, there was almost double the firewood rounds when I was totally finished.
20220919_164401.jpg
20220919_163400.jpg

Just some random tree job photos from this year:

20220808_140601.jpg.b8875ea01ce844ada45e69277aa8dad9.jpg
20220317_193614.jpg.7d76a248965e5ec52615f1f82c522088.jpg
20220228_145301.jpg.04402c7193d848ee5c356475f98fae59.jpg
284717068_20211222_1212492.jpg.6594682963405e6b7c5b9161ae7b8b8d.jpg
Snapshot_3.png.aa3b7bf836ed67a44c1457a67f6e1cfd.png
Snapshot_4.png.47d1f62a4aa66a1c5586317c3c23ec87.png
Snapshot_5.png.b617cf29d2625b7dba7be8aab4752908.png
Snapshot_6.png.3a420f381d87ac211e3a72a496c577c9.png
Snapshot_7.png.fecd6faa7c79c512d1c5aa1b1c4effb4.png

Pretty gutsy cut chancing a bounce over or butt whip into the house! 😉 That tree looks tall!👍

It was a pretty mundane tree, but with the proximtey of the building, I was proceeding with an abundance of caution lol.

I wasn't too worried about a bounce with it. I knew if my gunning was on point, I wasn't going to hit anything out there. The ground was flat and the tree was straight as an arrow. If there was any curve or swoop to the tree, I probably would've either done an utlra-wide face or climbed it and topped it to fit more to the left. At a certain point, you just gotta just trust your knowledge/skills and just send it!

It was a pretty mundane tree, but with the proximtey of the building, I was proceeding with an abundance of caution lol.

I wasn't too worried about a bounce with it. I knew if my gunning was on point, I wasn't going to hit anything out there. The ground was flat and the tree was straight as an arrow. If there was any curve or swoop to the tree, I probably would've either done an utlra-wide face or climbed it and topped it to fit more to the left. At a certain point, you just gotta just trust your knowledge/skills and just send it!
🤣Roger that! Good work man!👍 Yeah I'd have to agree on the fact that the flat ground and the straight timber was key and your saving grace! I know I myself wouldn't have fell it otherwise, but that's just me.

Latest posts

Back