Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🤣Roger that! Good work man!👍 Yeah I'd have to agree on the fact that the flat ground and the straight timber was key and your saving grace! I know I myself wouldn't have fell it otherwise, but that's just me.
Yep, that's why I try to always have a plan and be deliberate with what I'm doing. Some people just go all willy-nilly and they end up like our friend in the stump thread lol.

I may do some riskier stuff sometimes, but I try to figure out if there is any reason I shouldn't do it the way I want...and make sure there is a reason behind everything I do. In this case, this was the scenario to pull that cut off. If the conditions weren't perfect for it, I probably would've climbed it.

A lovely lovely rainy day of cut'n a strip as the tree tops dance with winds sustaining 30 knots gusting 40 knots. There was no crippling or posting up drives on this day I'll tell ya! 🤣😂 Sorry guys, no videos of any actual felling. I didn't really have time to mess around with a camera during that time. I kind of had to pay attention! 😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be very aware! 👍
View attachment VID_20221005_093809036~5.mp4

A lovely lovely rainy day of cut'n a strip as the tree tops dance with winds sustaining 30 knots gusting 40 knots. There was no crippling or posting up drives on this day I'll tell ya! 🤣😂 Sorry guys, no videos of any actual felling. I didn't really have time to mess around with a camera during that time. I kind of had to pay attention! 😉

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be very aware! 👍
View attachment 1022348

Lol, I think you're gutsy for cutting in those conditions! My hats off to you👍, I had a bad day in the wind earlier this year and I've been a little gun shy in the wind ever since then. I won't go into too much detail, but a strong head-wind developed while I was in my back cut on a back leaning fir. No amount of wedging could send it towards my intended lay and the resulting stump pictures will not be shared on a public forum lol.💩

Lol, I think you're gutsy for cutting in those conditions! My hats off too you👍, I had a bad day in the wind earlier this year and I've been a little gun shy in the wind ever since then. I won't go into too much detail, but a strong head-wind developed while I was in my back cut on a back leaning fir. No amount of wedging could send it towards my intended lay and the resulting stump pictures will not be shared on a public forum lol.💩
😂🤣 Its ok about not posting pictures. I have a pretty good imagination! 👍 I may have experienced something along those lines before! 😉

Lol, I think you're gutsy for cutting in those conditions! My hats off to you👍, I had a bad day in the wind earlier this year and I've been a little gun shy in the wind ever since then. I won't go into too much detail, but a strong head-wind developed while I was in my back cut on a back leaning fir. No amount of wedging could send it towards my intended lay and the resulting stump pictures will not be shared on a public forum lol.💩
I lost one yesterday in the wind, no pictures...
It was a 5" crab apple spar that had an 8' canopy 😆. Made a snap cut and then planned on breaking it the opposite direction since that's where I dropped the first spar(all of 3" lol). I wanted them to fall to the west because the tree was loaded with crab apples, and I was trying to keep them in the same area, as it went down I had to carry branches much further and clean a much larger area, not the worst thing to happen when you loose one 😉.

This has some good old time stuff that still applies today. Check about 14:25 for a big snag shedding it's bark. I've seen that happen and if you're double jacking get it clear with your partner which way you're both going to run. That way you don't run into each other, fall down, and wind up wearing the tree.

Long before my time. Wish I broke in cutting in those days and in wood like that!👍 I'll never begin to know the half of it in today's felling industry! Great video. Thanks for sharing

Nice work dude!
Thanks.
I told the homeowner that they could leave the t-post up for the electric fence, but she took them down, I put it right between where they were. The wind was at 15-20 so I had the cable on it just above the fork, soon as I got about 3/4 of the back cut done she cracked, I just kept after it and managed to get another couple inches cut, not like it made much difference as it was pretty far gone.
Today I'll buck the butt up, 1/8 cable and a clothesline hook that I can see, hopefully I'm only sharpening because of the rot. Got a 32 out last night for the dolmar, the 36 is nice when you need it, but I'm glad I don't need it that often. I feel bad for you guys having to lug them around, I was tired walking it from the truck to the base about 75' :laugh:. I like the 32 on that saw for a long bar, I even found a nice semi-chisel for the 32 last night, didn't even remember I had it.
Be safe guys.

Chipper, that‘s why I sent the 046-066‘s down the road. Things are getting heavy. Replaced with a couple 500i’s. Should be the last large saws I need. To go along with my fleet of Jonny 2152-2171’s.
I never did graduate to the 22xx series saws.
I shipped the ported 440 down the rd last yr when I snagged up another 462 to keep. A muffler modded 462 isn't far off a mildly ported 440, and it sips fuel, better anti-vibe, and is crazy light for a 70cc saw.
I've ran the 500i, but only ported with a 20" square chain, hard to make any conclusions about it based on that experience lol.
Most everything I've heard has been positive about them, but the ported 7900 would probably keep up with it no problem, although I'll need to keep an eye out for the future as they don't last forever. Good thing I have at least 5 70-79 and a ported 365. I'm probably okay for a while since I just started a new driving job last week, won't be much time for cutting, I'll be letting quite a few go in the next couple months. Just sold a 359 that needed a carb kit last night.

Speaking of 500is, I finally actually got to try my "566i" on a job. I call it that, because it's mostly a 500i, but ported and machined, using a piston from a different saw. I've got quite a bit of work into it and I'm planning on doing more, this is version 1. I'm guessing because of things I was able to do with intake port timing, this saw is actually quite fuel efficient compared to stock 500s.

The "566i" is a beast, but I think I can do better on it:

IMG_20221122_164548796.jpg

Back