Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know these look like there from alaska in the 90's but there actually from new hampshire a couple of months ago.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: Wow...the 90's...I must be getting old....no way! Nice pictures.[/QUOTE]

Get back in your rockin' chair, there old timer and tell us pups another story :blob2:

Fetch the stick puppy.

Picture015-1.jpg

Fetch the stick puppy.

Picture015-1.jpg

Funny you should say that, Randy! I had a dog I brought out with me one day. Damn dog was watching the top of the tree as I was falling it, when it started to go so did the dog! I had to tackler her! Back to the crummy with her for the rest of the day! Chalk one up to experience!

Just struck me kinda funny seeing as how I am ONLY 33 yrs old and I fell timber in AK in the 90's. No stories to tell.

Last edited:
don't trip over your cane Cody.

I think I am startin to develop a complex...I hear a lot of remarks lately about how young looking my Wife is, who is only two weeks younger than I...she gets carded and I don't...it was not too long ago that I was constantly getting teased by all the OLDER timber fallers that I worked with about my young looks...not too long ago at all...now I have gray in my beard...lol! Doesn't even phase me!

Complex?
The last time I saw old Ray, his first words were "get out of the rain, boy", I got promoted to "son" a bit later. That was 4 years ago, he still saw me as a wayward child.

Complex?
The last time I saw old Ray, his first words were "get out of the rain, boy", I got promoted to "son" a bit later. That was 4 years ago, he still saw me as a wayward child.

Exactly...that is why I had to laugh about the 90's nostalgic pics...I know I am still a pup, and have the whole world in front of me ;)

Damn, I guess I sure am a young whippersnapper then, I was born in the 90's! :biggrinbounce2:

bitzercreek, Cheers! and its actually two different logs in the first and second pictures:

This is the one I'm stumping, I wasn't going to put this one up at first because I look so goofy in it but good shot of the stump.

IMGP0008Modified.jpg

Alright thats enough from me, right about crowding up the thread.:D

Good hand faller, buncher man, elk hunter, friend.

moto_0025.jpg

moto_0026.jpg

12 yard bow kill. He brought the rack home to show his family in town over Turkey day. It was a bruiser. I butchered his portion that he split from his partner. It was a friggin' slug, tell you that. I know I am bias, but the Roosevelt strain is such a more impressive elk to me than the rocky. 200lbs. plus bigger on the hoof and a different look.

That's a nice bull for sure. I need to make a hunting trip out there.

Just starting to get into falling timber... (Dont know if thats a good thing by the way! haha) But I Have been logging with my dad for about 3 years now and been falling trees for about 6 months.. I got my chip, and backcut level. And I can read a tree pretty good if i can say myself. But im curious, what is exactly an Dutchman, and a sissywalk (I forgot the word? lol) thank for all of your guy's help, I have learned a quite a bit from this site!

Search soft dutchman and ultra soft dutchman on youtube and it will pull up a couple videos.

Just starting to get into falling timber... (Dont know if thats a good thing by the way! haha) But I Have been logging with my dad for about 3 years now and been falling trees for about 6 months.. I got my chip, and backcut level. And I can read a tree pretty good if i can say myself. But im curious, what is exactly an Dutchman, and a sissywalk (I forgot the word? lol) thank for all of your guy's help, I have learned a quite a bit from this site!

Check page 96 and 97 of this thread. Small discusion about it that I recollect. Siswheel, siswel, sizwel is a piece of pie taken out of the face. Cut parallel to the hinge on one side and diagonal out in the face to take out the piece. It makes the hinge act as sort of a block face on one side allowing the hinge to bend on the swing to side instead of break. Search them on here. I think there is a big difference between a dutch and a soft dutch. Different action. Swing cuts work differently in different wood at different times of year.

In my excitement to get to the stump after 3 weeks of no cutting, I forgot to set up the camera of this almost 70 footer going down.

Here is an after photo.

70-80ft is tall for this neck of the woods.

On a related note, in the timber cruising class during our timber marking project, we marked a pine with 4 saw logs, clear to 50ft. Those are few and far between here.

154217_467850305886_513110886_6273936_7014976_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back