Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep blackberry is fun. I like the thick #### like that and buckthorn thats full of spines and prickers. Also burdock, though not painful, just irritating when your shirt sticks to your gloves or your boot laces are carrying tassles of them or they are stuck in the crook of your arm or whatever. Its tough to pull burdock seeds off of knit gloves with another knit glove on. Kind of like hot potato, just pass em back and forth. Pulling them off with your mouth just gets little pokey particles that float around and stick in there all day no matter how much water you drink. Yeah I could take the gloves or the shirt off and pick them out, but when you're moving you want to keep moving.

The definition of "Nasty" is the Oregon Coast Range. Labyrinths of old-growth rhododendron on the ridgetops, jungles of vine maple and salmonberry in the valleys, and all manners of things to get tangled up in between. That said, I had a blast working there.

The definition of "Nasty" is the Oregon Coast Range. Labyrinths of old-growth rhododendron on the ridgetops, jungles of vine maple and salmonberry in the valleys, and all manners of things to get tangled up in between. That said, I had a blast working there.

2nd that one.

LOLOL...we had a sale last year that had been prethinned, and then masticated. They weren't going to cut it but they found bugs so we wound up taking it all. No brush, not a stick of it. No blackberries, no manzanita, no madrone, no buckbrush...nothing. Good size wood, too, on a gentle slope with no creeks or arch sites to worry about.You could see where everybody was, you could really read the shape of the ground, and you didn't wind up with torn clothes and a short fuse by then end of the day. It was like falling timber in my back yard. I almost felt gulity for taking my wages. Almost.

They made up for it on the next sale though. All that bad brush stuff plus steep unstable ground. Lots of dog hair, creeks, old arch site gold diggins every place you looked, and about every other tree leaning away from the lead. In other words, things were back to normal. :msp_wink:

Years ago we went cutting overseas, to the south. The woods there were full of nasty brush. We had never seen anything like it before, doesn't grow in Finland. The thorns went through everything - boots, fingers, the plastic gas jugs we carried on our belts... We called it Jesus brush, because every time a man walked into the brush, he would shout "JESUS!".

I asked the foreman of the local company we worked for the real name for the brush. "What did you call it", he asked. "Jesus brush. You know, the one they made a crown of", I replied.

The foreman gave me a funny look and said: "Well, Jesus brush it is." He refused to tell me the name of the brush in his own language.

I'm glad we don't have such things up here. But: "If it isn't one thing, it's the other." (The girl and the bleeding nose parable)

IMG_3449.JPG

Just chiming in to say that the underbrush isn't thick until you have no idea what your next step is really supported by.:rock:

Mr. HE:cool:

ya. when walkin on brush and slash ,one wrong step and your up to your " " and trying to get out. and if your lucky you won't rake up your legg to bad.:D

Well I wish I had a more exciting story to go with it. Dropped the backhoe off at job in the afternoon. 10 minutes into the next morning I hear PSSSSSHHH! ####, turn around and race back to the road. Made it to about 500 yards away when I realized I was going to run the rubber off of the rim. Blew out the side wall on the back tire. Dismount tire and load up to run to the tire guy. Guy says he has to order tire and its looking like it will be Monday before I see it. Got a different job in the meantime, but the hoe is parked in the middle of a trail now and has to be moved asap. Got tire back Tuesday morning. Wrestle and mount up. Ready to go! Hop in and turn the key, low RPM sound, no go. Dammit! Get the jumpers running from the truck to the hoe. Give it ten, try it again. Got sick of waiting and didn't have any other equipment on me because I still had to finish different job and just planned to mount up tire, move machine and be out of there asap. Hence the boredom and frustration. Just the way it goes I guess. With the tink, tink, tink of freezing rain on my hat I chopped my annoyance away. Worked pretty well too and it was fun laying one down the old way. I may be sick, but I bought a double bit later in the week. I may have to turn it loose on something decent if I can find the right tree and the time. Nope, the axe was not extremely sharp.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 177378
View attachment 177379

The camera is pretty much glued to the truck these days. I've been burned way too many times in the last year for no before and after proof on tree jobs and other BS I do.

Years ago we went cutting overseas, to the south. The woods there were full of nasty brush. We had never seen anything like it before, doesn't grow in Finland. The thorns went through everything - boots, fingers, the plastic gas jugs we carried on our belts... We called it Jesus brush, because every time a man walked into the brush, he would shout "JESUS!".

I asked the foreman of the local company we worked for the real name for the brush. "What did you call it", he asked. "Jesus brush. You know, the one they made a crown of", I replied.

The foreman gave me a funny look and said: "Well, Jesus brush it is." He refused to tell me the name of the brush in his own language.

I'm glad we don't have such things up here. But: "If it isn't one thing, it's the other." (The girl and the bleeding nose parable)

IMG_3449.JPG

That sounds like locust in the American east.

Brush that does not make you bleed is soft or gentle brush. There is some harsh to brutal brush out there. My fore arms resemble a chinese almanac from brush scars.

My fore arms resemble a chinese almanac from brush scars.

LOL. Yup. I had a doctor ask me one time what all the scars on my fore arms were from. He figured I'd had some weird skin disease.

Same old deal, start off every season with brand new long sleeved hickory shirts...by July they're half sleeve, by August they're short sleeve.

Haha. I wonder what a coroner might conclude: "John Doe has obviously been a cat farmer..."

I rather struggle with snow reaching the nuts than the brutal bush.

I rather struggle with snow reaching the nuts than the brutal bush.

Haha aye!

I actually prefer cutting in the winter over cutting in the summer though, I tend to get very hot very quick, and those godforsaken saw-pants don't really help.

Latest posts

Back