Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it before, but I'd love to see a TS video. Those hinges are always amazingly even and precise
lol, you'll have to come do it bro. i thought i'd get my boy to do that for ya........he gone again.
Every time I've block faced yes unless I'm doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well i guess i'm close to right then lol.

Every time I've seen or been around jacking in the northwest it's been humboldt faced with a stepped back cut personally. Most faces have been around a 1/3 to less then 1/2 with a jack put into the back cut before the face is cut.

ee3e48fe9124b89953e06dce6ef16ca3.jpg

Some smaller wood but down along a small creek with a lean back over the creek.

Clean moderate sized wood is not to be underrated. nice cutting

The top plate and bottom plate are both 1" aluminum that have been drill for the bottom well the top is drill and counter sunk with an Allen to the foot. If they are too bad I'll get my Silvey tree savers out.

here goes.. hang on tight..

First jacking is a little sketchy at best, while it does work good we are talking about making a hard leaner go the other way, or a very heavy tree go where you want it... Without good hold wood I wouldn't attempt it.

Any way that aside, its been said on here before but get the biggest damn jack you can, I currently have 2 20 ton bottle jacks, and there have been times I wasn't sure they where going to be enough. As for plates doesn't have to be anything fancy, mine are 3/8" plate with some tubing that slipped over the ram welded on to keep them in place and act as reinforcement (pics I know...) (I think I have enough to fab up a couple more if needed). Never had a need to plate the bottom side. Whatever ya do that top plate needs to have room to tilt with the tree, otherwise it puts a lot of side pressure on them jacks.

BACK THEM UP WITH WEDGES, don't skimp here folks, wedges are made to get skwreshed jacks can and will break.

On to methods...

Two schools of thought here back it first or face it first, for me it depends on how hard its leaning and how much room I'll have to stuff the jack and whatnot in the holes. For a hard leaner I'll back it first most of the way, leaving a little to cut if needed, then face it, if its not leaning real hard or just a heavy tree face it normal and make my back cut only big enough to make the jack seat, get the jack started then continue with cutting the back up.

As far as holding wood goes... Seems like 1/2 again or double the normal amount works pretty good, to a point... I have turned down several cutting jobs on cotton wood that would have required me to jack them away from buildings... Just can't count on that **** to hold ever, even in good conditions... Fir, Hemlock, Cedar, Spruce, Pine all have decent or superb hinge wood.

On to the face!

Not much really different here, maybe a little more of an open face to give it room to close up, have to remember that as high as the back gets before it falls, the face will close the same amount or so. Been a couple of bastard trees that I've had to go back and open the face a bit more to get the ****er to fall. So clean it out real good and try not to leave any dutch in it.

As far as which type of face you use, humboldt, saginaw, swanson, block, I don't think it really matters all that much as long as you leave the perty little step there on the non humboldt cuts to keep it from back slipping. If you absolutely have to use a jack on cotton wood or any other brittle wood, perhaps a block face may be the best option, followed with a Tramp type siswheel (like a regular sis but set back from the face, parallel with the grain and face... allowing the hold wood to really flex... works slick on cotton wood... Did about 20 of these on Saturday)

I think Mrs P. posted this some time ago, its like an hour long but worth watching for all the trouble he has... remember the wedge...

And some more shameless self promotion, from when the jacks are fairly new, using my axe as a plate (which I just fixed like 2 months ago...) Don't use a good axe as a plate... really its not good for em...

Latest posts

Back