Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah at least over here on this side of the cascade, the dock so hard on rotten wood for domestic woods it's not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh they will put any thing rotten or hollow back on your truck here lol. 18" max although i have fudged a 20 once in a while.........you can't tell me that thing won't eat a bigger piece than that. its a rip off here, i won't fool with it if i can get out of it.
17 a ton for hard wood last i sold......nope nope nope.

because its dead? they take chip wood that big there?

Yup. Down here a lot cull wood goes to the co-generation plants. They claim that they only want green chips with no trash but when the pile starts getting low and they have power contracts to fulfil they'll take anything that burns. It's usually chipped on site and then trucked to the power plants although I've seen plants with portable chippers . Big ones.

because its dead? they take chip wood that big there?

When timber gets fire killed like this it has to be harvested within 6 months to still be of any value, not much of a chip market over here anyways. Any longer than that and typically only good for firewood, which the forest service doesn't allow to be cut for firewood in Central Oregon. So with no salvage logging or firewood cutting our public forests are a mess.

Also that tree was somewhere between 100-150'?, which is still short for Oregon.

When timber gets fire killed like this it has to be harvested within 6 months to still be of any value, not much of a chip market over here anyways. Any longer than that and typically only good for firewood, which the forest service doesn't allow to be cut for firewood in Central Oregon. So with no salvage logging or firewood cutting our public forests are a mess.

Also that tree was somewhere between 100-150'?, which is still short for Oregon.

They aren't shipping it to Longview like eastern Oregon or Idaho?

100' trees are tall here lol. even a fat one 5' across won't be any taller. IMO they should salvage that timber as soon as they can get on it after a fire. i can't understand who would be against that.......the timber is already dead.....why not?

100' trees are tall here lol. even a fat one 5' across won't be any taller. IMO they should salvage that timber as soon as they can get on it after a fire. i can't understand who would be against that.......the timber is already dead.....why not?

One word tree huggers

IMO they should salvage that timber as soon as they can get on it after a fire. i can't understand who would be against that.......the timber is already dead.....why not?

I agree. Burn salvage needs to be cut quick if it's going to be any good. Things don't work that way though, especially on government ground.
As an example...a few years back there was a fire. About 30 thousand acres burned. There were fires before and since but we'll use this one as an example. There was private ground and there was FS ground checker-boarded throughout the burn.
On the private ground we were getting our THPs in place and starting the preliminary road work before the fire was even out. As soon as we safely could we were in there logging and hauling. We had to watch the boundary lines real close where our property butted up against government timber because cutting over onto the FS side wasn't allowed. Other than that, no problem. We had the timber down and gone by the middle of winter. It took a lot of loggers and a lot of effort but we did it. We dealt with a couple of small protest groups and some minor legal skirmishes but the preservationists (preservationist is a politically correct way to describe the ****ing tree huggers) hadn't really geared up yet.
On the government ground they didn't do anything at all the year of the fire. The drove around a lot and looked it over and had a lot of meetings and created a ton of paperwork and had some more meetings and quite a few press conferences and did a little rehab work to some roads but other than that...nothing.
The next year they came in and did some cruising and a little more rehab work and a lot more driving around. In the late fall they finally advertised a sale and were promptly shut down by a consortium of preservationist groups who filed suit to stop the salvage logging. The FS cancelled the timber sales and made conciliatory noises to all involved. The FS is very concious of their public image and they hate to rush into anything that will put them in a bad light. They had lots of meetings and issued lots of press releases and nothing whatsoever in the way of logging got done. The trees sat though another winter.
The next year the tree huggers and the FS reached some compromises and a bit of salvage logging got done. Very little, but some. Most of what they cut was for show and didn't really supply much real timber for the mills. Hollywood logging.
By then most of the trees resembled what 137cc posted in his video. Snags. Most of the commercial value was gone. When the FS offered the sale and nobody would even bid on it for saw logs they reoffered it as a chip sale instead. This of course took most of another year .
The timber went for practically nothing which is pretty much what it was worth by then. Thousands of acres of wasted resource.
We see this constantly out here. Constantly. Every year there are fires and every year the FS makes brave noises about salvaging the timber in a timely fashion.
It never happens.

the judges in those cases.........i'd love to see one get riled up at the dumbasses and run them out of the courtroom with a stick. maybe have them locked up for idiocy. there is no common sense. i see some stupid crap here but that takes the cake.
we don't have much state property but what they have is heavily managed.

I've always followed this thread but never really contributed. I finally figured out how to get video off of one of my old smartphones. This is a two part video of me taking down a snag on a wildfire outside of Sisters, Oregon. I cut the video into two portions because my felling partner flipped the camera 2/3 of the way through the video.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Oh man. Just once. One single stupid time, I'd like to hit both corners like that. Is that really so much to ask????
I'd also like hair. That may be a bit much to ask, tho

Here in the west the elite liberal preservationists have the 9th circuit court of appeals in their very big monied back pocket. They would much rather see it burned than logged. Which is really the true height of hypocrisy. Since they are all over this "carbon footprint" nonsense. I'm not a scientist, but I'd be willing to bet a 100 acre fire is going to add a whole lot more to our "carbon footprint" than a few piece of logging equiptment going into that 100 acre piece of timber and extracting it. Common sense? loggers are one of the small groups that still have it.

Latest posts

Back