Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope they live in a place called Portland Oregon, lots of bicycles and "special" people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
two sister cities, Portland an moneyapolis is where they set.... then there's ST. paul, mn. with all the government laws(state & federal) that are passed with the wisdom of the citidiots(city dwelling idiot's) setting at their desks making up their great ideas of saving the forest they have never ventured through! our big burn here in Minnesota(bwca) was treated the same way with the tree hugger's enviro's doing more harm to our forest lands then what any forest fire has created. as for the federal forest service , they learned nothing after the yellow stone fire but loud noise like gologit stated!

It's time some stuff changed in these states again they keep this stuff up here I wouldn't be surprised if we don't let our employee go especially with the 15 dollar minimum wage they are pushing. Then the creeks here we have roughly 70 acres we can't cut but have to pay taxes on and now they are finding out its not helping the fish. Screw these democrats they have ruined my state thank unions too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One volcanic eruption puts 2,000 years worth of human caused 'carbon' into the atmosphere.

You won't catch the treetards broadcasting that little nugget.

Why? It shows their stupidity, & that the entire green movement (started by Hitler) is just a tool for grabbing control and power.

two sister cities, Portland an moneyapolis is where they set.... then there's ST. paul, mn. with all the government laws(state & federal) that are passed with the wisdom of the citidiots(city dwelling idiot's) setting at their desks making up their great ideas of saving the forest they have never ventured through! our big burn here in Minnesota(bwca) was treated the same way with the tree hugger's enviro's doing more harm to our forest lands then what any forest fire has created. as for the federal forest service , they learned nothing after the yellow stone fire but loud noise like gologit stated!

The Yellowstone fire was not on Forest Service Land. It was on National Park land. Let's get the facts correct.

I hope for a big burn every year. Clearcutting in the higher elevations has stopped. It isn't going to be logged. Period. We need more huckleberry ground. Let it burn!! Some of it anyway.

The Yellowstone fire was not on Forest Service Land. It was on National Park land. Let's get the facts correct.

I hope for a big burn every year. Clearcutting in the higher elevations has stopped. It isn't going to be logged. Period. We need more huckleberry ground. Let it burn!! Some of it anyway.
is it not still run by the federal government! in one way or another..... either way it's a loss to not harvest the forest after a fire as well to let it be over grown to die and become a fire hazard....... government loud chatter is no different than cheap whisky to them who buy it !!!!

is it not still run by the federal government! in one way or another..... either way it's a loss to not harvest the forest after a fire as well to let it be over grown to die and become a fire hazard....... government loud chatter is no different than cheap whisky to them who buy it !!!!

There is no commercial harvest allowed period on national parks. You'll find plenty of timber employees in the forest service, but none in the parks. You're correct in that both properties are federal, but they are managed for very different objectives.

It is run by the National Park Service..Dept. Of Interior. Timber harvest is rarely done on National Park lands. Yellowstone was left to recover naturally. That's what they do in the parks. It's kind of nice to have a few places left so folks can see how nature works and that's what parks can do.

The Forest Service is a USDA agency. There has been talk for years about doing away with it and putting those lands under the BLM (Bureau of Land Management). Lots of politics involved in that...lots.

Read up on John Muir and Gifford Pinchot. John Muir was a preservationist. Gifford Pinchot was a forester. Both lobbied and got what they wanted--Muir the National Parks (Yosemite) and Pinchot, the National Forests. Muir wanted land to be untouched. Pinchot wanted forest land kept in reserve and managed for timber. At the time the "silvicultural practice" was to cut it all and move on. No reforestation. No cleanup. Cream it and get out.

The Forest Service has designated wilderness areas--I think the Boundary Waters is one. No motorized equipment is allowed (exceptions can be granted but rarely done) and no timber harvest. Hazard trees around camp areas are felled using crosscut saws and trails are cleared using crosscuts also.

Sorry about Muir. Hes from here. He saw the "cutover" in the north and didn't like it. Most of it grew back or was planted eventually.

I like bashing on bunny huggers like the rest, but let's get the thread back on topic. Here is another vid from that same fire. The video is of my falling partner Glen taking down two trees. Both of these snags were leaning heavily into each other. The vid is just the back-cut on the second tree, he has already limped up the tree in front.

I like bashing on bunny huggers like the rest, but let's get the thread back on topic. Here is another vid from that same fire. The video is of my falling partner Glen taking down two trees. Both of these snags were leaning heavily into each other. The vid is just the back-cut on the second tree, he has already limped up the tree in front.

Fiber puller! J/K, great video. I hate it when trees start going, then stall. Gives me a "sense of impending doom"

nice dominoe. dead stuff don't like to fall. is it harder on saws cutting that dead seasoned wood all the time? that is DF? it seems pretty hard.

trees grow back. i have seen poplar 10" tall in a farm field in one year, what do you suppose it would look like in 50? what i don't understand is why all species don't come back right.
Can be the same here. We tend to think in time spans of one or two generations, whereas the trees we clear-felled were there for hundreds or thousands of years and evolved to dominate the area from conditions (environmental, competition, wildlife) that could be vastly different from today. I would love a time machine and to see what areas clear-felled in our generation and then left to their own devices will look like in many hundreds of years time.

trees here ain't that old. they say the wye oak was over 300, i dunno if i believe that. i cut a 50" white oak with only 90 rings, it was a beautiful tree. problem is the white oak is not coming back like other trees. as well the heart pine and short leaf pine.
i just would like to know why some do and some don't........maybe our forestry practice in flawed some where.

trees here ain't that old. they say the wye oak was over 300, i dunno if i believe that. i cut a 50" white oak with only 90 rings, it was a beautiful tree. problem is the white oak is not coming back like other trees. as well the heart pine and short leaf pine.
i just would like to know why some do and some don't........maybe our forestry practice in flawed some where.

Good question. Madhatte will be back from vacation next week. I'll bet he can answer that.

nice dominoe. dead stuff don't like to fall. is it harder on saws cutting that dead seasoned wood all the time? that is DF? it seems pretty hard.

The tree being driven was probably a pis fur, aka white fir. The one being fell is probably either a ponderosa or Douglas-fir. They're all still softwoods, dead wood just cuts slower than green.

Mike the biggest oaks and maples I've cut that you could still count rings on (around 5' on the stump) were all around 180. The big white oaks were solid healthy trees yet. I think its possible. My forester will leave white oaks in a stand over everything else. I've seen plenty of em regrowing here in our oak-hickory stands. Red oak and hickory will dominate the majority of the re-gen tho.

Mike the biggest oaks and maples I've cut that you could still count rings on (around 5' on the stump) were all around 180. The big white oaks were solid healthy trees yet. I think its possible. My forester will leave white oaks in a stand over everything else. I've seen plenty of em regrowing here in our oak-hickory stands. Red oak and hickory will dominate the majority of the re-gen tho.
yup, red, poplar, gum here. i am thankfull for the way poplar regens. i think maybe the deer are a big problem for the white oak here, we have to many........much more than when the big trees i am cutting now came up.

you have a shorter growing season than we do lol. there is some old trees here, but they don't have to be that old to be big. the wye oak was a wolf tree, there were and are better specimens here imo.

Good question. Madhatte will be back from vacation next week. I'll bet he can answer that.
Bob, one of the county guys once told me the white oak acorns had to go through a freeze cycle to germinate.........that may have a bearing since some years it never freezes. if that is the case, the last two winters should have helped.

hey did you get all moved?

Latest posts

Back