Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BP is 130/75. Not bad for an old fart.

... .

I would say pretty good. Since November of 2010, I have to take these little round pills to stay in that range. Even medicated, I have to be relaxed - so I can't enjoy the bantering that goes on here much. Seems some do, which is fine with me as I don't view this lot as leading folks into harm's way. Ron

Hindsight is usually clearer, but should not be used as the exclusive view to judge one's decisions. Ron
When you let loose someones who have no experience in the task or common sense either operating the machine or directing it the end result was inevitable.

And you gathered all that from Madhatte's short discourse. Amazing. Maybe you should get a job as a judge - might save a lot of time and expense for your fellow countrymen. Ron

I

He's the type of guy that knows how to do everything better then you but hes too good to show you like he's got some secret up his sleeve no one knows. It's kind of fun messing with him when I'm bored though.
Gypo's get bored really easily

And you gathered all that from Madhatte's short discourse. Amazing. Maybe you should get a job as a judge - might save a lot of time and expense for your fellow countrymen. Ron
So when you're jamming a tree with the boom of an excavator you would expect it to perhaps break ? And if breaks where will it go ?
You're out of your depth of knowledge & being a yes man

My friend, you would have more respect for your opinions, knowledge, etc. if you wouldn't jump to so many conclusions. You haven't a clue as to the depth of my knowledge though admittedly limited and I have come to doubt that you appreciate the depth of the knowledge of those actually engaged in the trades represented here. Maybe, just maybe, "really jamming" was an exaggeration. Or maybe the operator misjudged or miss moved. Have you ever done something that you knew you shouldn't and the result was what you "knew" would happened but not what you hoped? Sure you have. We all have. Does that mean we are all stupid, inexperienced or lacking in common sense? You know better than that. Ron

My friend, you would have more respect for your opinions, knowledge, etc. if you wouldn't jump to so many conclusions. You haven't a clue as to the depth of my knowledge though admittedly limited and I have come to doubt that you appreciate the depth of the knowledge of those actually engaged in the trades represented here. Maybe, just maybe, "really jamming" was an exaggeration. Or maybe the operator misjudged or miss moved. Have you ever done something that you knew you shouldn't and the result was what you "knew" would happened but not what you hoped? Sure you have. We all have. Does that mean we are all stupid, inexperienced or lacking in common sense? You know better than that. Ron
Mate I've already said I've done every stupid thing conceivable, I just don't fall into the trap of being an idiot & supporting stupid things done though, just to stay in with the crowd.
BTW I've worked a lot with excavators & dozers doing tree work clearing & removing dangerous trees. Once apon a time I used to be a shotfirer & that was the safest method by far in getting rid of them, with your balsa wood it'd be even easier.

BW: Don't doubt that you spend time behind the levers. Also don't doubt that you try to stay out of the social trap you described. The points I have tried to get across to you have nothing to do with pleasing the crowd for the sake of being "in"; they are simply: 1) the decision dynamics to leave or cut, how to cut, etc. are different for each of the professions represented here and 2) if you want your opinion heard and considered then you have to reciprocate in kind - dismissing folks with summary conclusions will only get you the same - not too productive, unless the goal is just to stir.

The folks here have graciously put up with my intrusions over the years and I have learned a lot from them. Do I think every risk they take is justified? No. Am I marginally qualified to make some judgments? Yes. Should I summarily dismiss their opinions without being in their boots at some point in my life? No. The latter I believe is where some here are coming from - they don't believe that you have been in their boots. Ron

BW: Don't doubt that you spend time behind the levers. Also don't doubt that you try to stay out of the social trap you described. The points I have tried to get across to you have nothing to do with pleasing the crowd for the sake of being "in"; they are simply: 1) the decision dynamics to leave or cut, how to cut, etc. are different for each of the professions represented here and 2) if you want your opinion heard and considered then you have to reciprocate in kind - dismissing folks with summary conclusions will only get you the same - not too productive, unless the goal is just to stir.

The folks here have graciously put up with my intrusions over the years and I have learned a lot from them. Do I think every risk they take is justified? No. Am I marginally qualified to make some judgments? Yes. Should I summarily dismiss their opinions without being in their boots at some point in my life? No. The latter I believe is where some here are coming from - they don't believe that you have been in their boots. Ron

The difference is the admittance of not being the best whatever... ever...

A drop or four I'd humility goes a long ways

Well let's see if you're on the " in " crowd,
do you think that sawing one handed while having your face close, over & inline with the bar is a really dangerous thing to do?
Do you think that purposely doing sloping cuts & cutting 9/10th of the hinge away which pinched the bar leaving the cutter in the danger zone trying to save a saw is a really dangerous thing to do?
If you've been following this the "in" crowd have been defending the stupid act, I don't mind ramping it up to shine a light on them losing their rag.

BW,

I don’t recall reading where anyone “in” or “out” said these practices aren’t dangerous. I believe the points made regarding the hinge and slope were directed at that being a method to get a stem in a particular spot. Not the absence of danger.

About the only hands on training I have is my dad drilling into my head to never stand in the line of the bar - advice that likely saved my life 35 years ago when I was showing off. Does getting my face any where near a bar make me nervous, you bet it does.

As to one hand sawing, not only is NM a big dude, but the kickback hazard with a bar longer than the cut and with no obstacles is practically nil. Not that anyone should look to me as an example, but I frequently buck one handed when running a heavy long bar saw in the clear. Rarely if ever do I run a small or short bar saw that way. The risk of a torpedo I would hope has been assessed. Standing to the side likewise limits the risk of injury from that. Is it possible to always stand in the clear doubtful. Some do a better job at that than others. Same for looking up.

Does this make me in or out, I don’t know and I don’t really care.

Ron

It's always fun bucking stuff on a steep slope with two hands let's see how fast this will suck me in with it when she goes. One handed bucking and falling isn't that uncommon out here for the larger timber we have or to look out in the cut well cutting there's only so much bar and normally a larger diameter low stump.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BW,

I don’t recall reading where anyone “in” or “out” said these practices aren’t dangerous. I believe the points made regarding the hinge and slope were directed at that being a method to get a stem in a particular spot. Not the absence of danger.

About the only hands on training I have is my dad drilling into my head to never stand in the line of the bar - advice that likely saved my life 35 years ago when I was showing off. Does getting my face any where near a bar make me nervous, you bet it does.

As to one hand sawing, not only is NM a big dude, but the kickback hazard with a bar longer than the cut and with no obstacles is practically nil. Not that anyone should look to me as an example, but I frequently buck one handed when running a heavy long bar saw in the clear. Rarely if ever do I run a small or short bar saw that way. The risk of a torpedo I would hope has been assessed. Standing to the side likewise limits the risk of injury from that. Is it possible to always stand in the clear doubtful. Some do a better job at that than others. Same for looking up.

Does this make me in or out, I don’t know and I don’t really care.

Ron
With an answer like that of a politician who would know.

Latest posts

Back