Farm/Wood boss, homelite questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Allison

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
Great site you have here. Thank you to all who keep it running. I am quite new to chain saws so I have some beginner questions.
1. What makes a wood boss a wood boss?
2. What makes a farm boss a farm boss?
3. Are most saws a little low on power at low rpms? I recently purchaced a rebuilt 028 super and really like the saw but, it will bog off idle if you give it too much throttle. I have not messed with the mixture screws because I don't know what I am doing and don't want to blow it up. Once you get the thing spooled up, it really goes. Kind of like my old IT250 dirt bike.
4. How big was the motor on the homelite wiz? My grandfather gave me one that he said he can rember his father using before he died in the 1950's. Cool old saw but I don't know much about it. (or any other saw for that matter.) :) The tag number is 1815413. I can't find any other info on the saw.
Thanks for the help
Clint

You should be able to squeeze the throttle full on from idle and it should spin up nicely. There is a problem with the mixture settings, possibly agravated by an air leak (but air leaks usually cause problems with idle):

http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

As far as the wood/farm boss thing goes I think it's just a marketing thing. They used to be an 041 I think (they made an 041 Super as well as the 041 Farm Boss, the Super had more power I think). Now it's an MS290.

CNYCountry said:
....As far as the wood/farm boss thing goes I think it's just a marketing thing....
You are right I think. Which saws Stihl name wood-/farmboss varies with time and market. Until recently there were 3 farmbosses over here, the 390 and the basic (non-pro) versions of the 260 and 360. Now the 360FB is gone, but the others remain. The 290 and 310 isn't availiable at all.
The woodbosses that I know of is the 028 (not 280) and 270...

I've got a cylinder cover here that indicates there was an 024 woodboss at one time too. its just a marketing thing to me.

Thanks for the help guys. Always wondered about the whole farm boss wood boss thing. Guess there isn't anything to it. Thanks for the links.
Clint

Latest posts

Back