Farmboss 290 vs 310 or 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buck futter said:
I am going along with clearance, well sort of I don't think you should limit yourself to one brand of saw or that it has to be brand new. out of the 290/310/390 I would choose the 310 as a price, power, weight compromise. I was lookin at the 310 very closely at one point myself simply because I am very happy with my 025. I didn't buy a 310 because for less money than what the 310 costs I bought a brand new 359. Nobody gave me my money I've worked for every cent. When I lay down my hard earned cash I want to know that it is on the best value available and I feel confident that I made the correct choice in the 359, would you concur?
http://www.*****.com/index.html?lmd=38773.428333

If you look at that link you can get a 359 with a 20" bar 3 chains and a t shirt for $409 I believe baileys has the same deal and better deals are out there you just have to look. You could also buy a dolmar 5100 if that's what floats your boat, or for the price of 361 you could buy a 372xp if you can find one around.

keep your options open

Buck

Lotta coulds there. He could just hire someone to cut the wood too. Hell he could just buy what he wants,hmmmmmmmm. Buck you seen Elmore around???

Thats right lots of coulds, which equates to lots of options. which is what I and Clearance were trying illustrate.

No I haven't seen Elmore, why are you looking for him?

Buck

buck futter said:
Thats right lots of coulds, which equates to lots of options. which is what I and Clearance were trying illustrate.

No I haven't seen Elmore, why are you looking for him?

Buck
He didn't ask for alot of options and clouds, just some advice on 4 saws. He messaged me after all the opinions he never asked for and made his choice. Gotta like a guy like that. He stuck to the subject.
Looking for Elmore to show him these pics he wanted. I guess he's out growing that wacky weed he showed in a pic, he cracks me up..........

I think we are beating a dead pig but, lots of money buy the 361. Not that much money buy the 310. I got the 310 use it about 10 to 15 hours a week I know thats alot for a farm saw but I didnt know that when I bought it. I have the muffler cleaned out and did some cleaning on the ports runs really good for a non-pro saw.
Thanks.
20" bar is nice on it cuz im 6'3" so i dont bend over so much.
(i know im lazy)

PIERCE4076 said:
Thanks for all the feedback! This is a great site.

I think the 310 or it's going to be the 361.

Both are good choices. Just comes down to price. I bought the 310 as I couldn't see how the extra features and cost of the 361 would give me any useful benefits over the 310.

Harry K

clearance said:
Why, Marco? cause thats how saleman make thier jake, selling parts for crazy prices, a better mark up than drug dealers. Yes, Thall, I have used a 400 cut-off saw, just not enough to comment on it. And I just suggested a used saw, something to consider, I remember the old Husky saws, 266XP, 288XP, they quit making them cause they were so good and reliable, kinda like the Ford 300cid 6cyl and million other things that are now a pale imitation, of course great for the parts industry.

That's the old "they don't make 'em the way they useta" bit. To which I say.
"thank God" The old Blue Flame Chev 6 was a very good engine too in its day.

Harry K

and the answer is..

I got the 361 tonight. It's just too bad it wasn't until after the kids were in bed. It will have to wait until saturday.

ps.
my older one, 4 years old, takes the Stihl product book to bed and has me read through it like a bedtime book. This saw should last long enough until he's big enough to use it himself!

PIERCE4076 said:
I got the 361 tonight. It's just too bad it wasn't until after the kids were in bed. It will have to wait until saturday.

ps.
my older one, 4 years old, takes the Stihl product book to bed and has me read through it like a bedtime book. This saw should last long enough until he's big enough to use it himself!

Good chocie, real good chocie indeed..................

Lakeside53 said:
o.k., one down, now set your sights on an MS660!:)

Lake speaking of the Ms660 are yaw having a hard time getting them in? We ordered only 1 a month ago and finally got it in today. The rep was here today and he said the 660 demand was sky high after all the hurricanes last year along with Katrina.

THALL10326 said:
Lake speaking of the Ms660 are yaw having a hard time getting them in? We ordered only 1 a month ago and finally got it in today. The rep was here today and he said the 660 demand was sky high after all the hurricanes last year along with Katrina.

Haven't noticed any problem... "in stock". But this is the NW and they probably sell more here than anywhere. We don't sell a lot of them, but it's consistent and they get delivered overnight from Chelalis. Check esales for all the models - sometime the full wrap isn't available or vice versa, but we just build them from whatever we get. Same with 440 - we just keep all the wrap parts in stock and just order the basic model. The only saw we really got shorted on was 021's. Took three months to fill the back orders.

Lakeside53 said:
Haven't noticed any problem... "in stock". But this is the NW and they probably sell more here than anywhere. We don't sell a lot of them, but it's consistent and they get delivered overnight from Chelalis. Check esales for all the models - sometime the full wrap isn't available or vice versa, but we just build them from whatever we get. Same with 440 - we just keep all the wrap parts in stock and just order the basic model. The only saw we really got shorted on was 021's. Took three months to fill the back orders.

Cool. I was just wondering because we had to wait a month to get one here in the DC metro area. Our rep told us today in the years he has worked for Stihl he has never seen so much demand for the 660.

You forgot to say.......JUNK!! Or.....RIPOFF......Or......GARBAGE!

I am beginning to think that Stihl dealers are like car salesmen and internet insurance sales people.

Tell the Truth. ms390, 310, 290 = High Profit Yuppie Junk:clap:

Lakeside53 said:
Thal, you didn't leave me anything to say!

...but absolutely, if you going for the 390, just get the 361... a world of difference in lifetime, serviceability, retention of value etc... I sell amost NO 390's for that very reason... the customer opts for the 290/310, or the 361. We don't even bother to stock the 390 anymore.

WoodTick007 said:
You forgot to say.......JUNK!! Or.....RIPOFF......Or......GARBAGE!

I am beginning to think that Stihl dealers are like car salesmen and internet insurance sales people.

Tell the Truth. ms390, 310, 290 = High Profit Yuppie Junk:clap:

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, another cluess one, all mouth, no smarts know it all. If 20% is considered "high profit" to you then you surely need to stay away from selling chainsaws. I am glad to see you are "beginning to think" though. Its quite obvious your mouth does 99.9% of your thinking for you. Far as to "tell the truth" you need to know what your talking about first. Wanna buy a saw?, I'm throwing in pacifiers today, right up your alley. With that in your mouth you won't be able to stick your foot in it so much,hahahaha

rant

Go ahead, bad mouth them, put them down, call them what you will.

Meanwhile, I will continue selling them to the correct type of operator, and have many happy customers running one of the most reliable saws ever built. One actual failure since they were introduced in this shop.

Not the most powerful, or lightest, but I dare you to find a more reliable economy saw on the market.

Does "correct type of operator" mean "homeowner dork", who doesn't know any better? Just joking, Stihl dealers, Woodtick is really generalizing, unfairly in most cases. Question for you guys, why do dealers rev. the living snot outta saws when you have just bought it? I have seen this when I bought my MS200T, my 038Mag years ago, my buddy said the same when he got a new 385XP, maybe you two could explain.

clearance said:
Does "correct type of operator" mean "homeowner dork", who doesn't know any better? Just joking, Stihl dealers, Woodtick is really generalizing, unfairly in most cases. Question for you guys, why do dealers rev. the living snot outta saws when you have just bought it? I have seen this when I bought my MS200T, my 038Mag years ago, my buddy said the same when he got a new 385XP, maybe you two could explain.

haha, Clearance looking at Woodtick's signature says it all about Woodtick.
As for your question why we rev the saw, we're checking the max rpms and idle rpms with a tach at time of sale to see exactly where the saw is running. If its way over max we adjust it where it should be so you don't fry the engine while using it. The idle is set to specs as well. The only way we can know exactly where its at is to check it with a tach. Some guys get outhere and gun the thing to death and theres no reason for that. A few years back one of the guys took a customer's saw and did exactly what your talking about. The customer was asking me what in the hell is he doing. I said he is just getting warmed up for the a-- chewing he's gonna get after you leave...................

stihltech said:
Go ahead, bad mouth them, put them down, call them what you will.

Meanwhile, I will continue selling them to the correct type of operator, and have many happy customers running one of the most reliable saws ever built. One actual failure since they were introduced in this shop.

Not the most powerful, or lightest, but I dare you to find a more reliable economy saw on the market.

Stihltech ole Woodtick doesn't know any better. I read alot of his post's and his favorite line seems to be POS on most anything so pay no mind. He'll probly say the pacifier I offered him is a POS too,hahaha

SawTroll said:
:clap: :clap:
Congratulations, very good choise!
:)

Good choice indeed! You won't regret it.

And I'm with Stihltech on this one as well. I think the 290/310/390 are fine saws in their intended roles. I've never said anything to the contrary. I've owned the 310 and have a couple of friends with 029's. They are fine saws for the money, and while I'd never rely on them for timber or tree work, for firewood, which is the role they've been asked to fill, they work superbly for the guy who wants one saw to heat his house, but can't justify anything near or over $500. JMO.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back