FarmerTec Huztl MS660 Updated Build Kit - Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool - I'll look for them now. Do you guys buy chain in bulk and make loops or just buy the chain pre made? I have a bunch of milling I wanna do, so that maybe something to look into, but not sure if its worth the hassle? On a budget tho.
Anyone have some good links for chain prep for milling?
I've "been" buying "chains"... But now that I have two different drivelink bars I ordered a 25' roll... It's around $160 for 25 feet.

Cool - I'll look for them now. Do you guys buy chain in bulk and make loops or just buy the chain pre made? I have a bunch of milling I wanna do, so that maybe something to look into, but not sure if its worth the hassle? On a budget tho.

how about this bar https://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Pro-Bar...112581117091?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
What "kind" of milling do you want to do? Stuff for woodworking? Or do you want to do big stuff for timber framing? There is a big difference between hobby milling and production milling with a chainsaw... If you are into big repetitive stuff or big hardwood, I would stick to good bars and chains... The numbers on that "Laser" bar kinda scare me. None of the part numbers are universal.

how about this bar https://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Pro-Bar...112581117091?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
I have far more money in bars and chains for milling than I do in the saw...

I paid $138 plus shipping for the 660 (not counting replacement parts) and the Oregon Powermatch with 2 chains was $180.

I've "been" buying "chains"... But now that I have two different drivelink bars I ordered a 25' roll... It's around $160 for 25 feet.
Could you post a link (to the chain roll - for milling - or do you buy general chain and modify it)? I wanna get two bars as well and I think it would be best just to get a roll now then invest in individual chains. Also if you've done the research on tools and links that would be helpful, or have a tread saved that details it...so much info to wade through, haha

for the milling bar you would suggest a Oregon or the Archer Pro?

BTW - I'm milling for hobby woodworking...don't even have many big trees on my land, but would like something that would hold up. probably start with some pines

Could you post a link (to the chain roll - for milling - or do you buy general chain and modify it)? I wanna get two bars as well and I think it would be best just to get a roll now then invest in individual chains. Also if you've done the research on tools and links that would be helpful, or have a tread saved that details it...so much info to wade through, haha

Depends on the bar you get, but here is the chain I use.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/162441233134

BTW - I'm milling for hobby woodworking...don't even have many big trees on my land, but would like something that would hold up. probably start with some pines
15189157910771305486481.jpg

1518915863888-1486634959.jpg

1518915992691-1830520995.jpg i also grabbed this 25 for cutting firewood..

I can't really tell the difference in the Oregon Power match or the Archer so far.. The Archer seems to be a pretty good bar for the money. Modifying chains for ripping isn't very hard either. There are several different ways to do it . 10 degree chisel, zero degree chisel, zero degree chisel and 25 degree half scoring teeth like the Granberg chain. I've had very good luck with the 10 degree Carlton, so I haven't screwed with it.

I encourage you to stop and go look at those places I mention to gather info on the chain and bars.

until you get more education then go with opinion and suggestions. there is way more to this. that hey look at this fine bar.

http://www.madsens1.com/muu_barchain.htm

Interesting Bedford. I'm trying to help the guy out and I do this for a living. Thats kinda like me telling him to "stop and go watch Walt to build the saw"... Thanks for spitting in my ****ing face.

If you want any help, I'm at Pirate Solutions Custom Woodworking and Toolsmithing on Facebook... There is plenty of info and pictures there. Shoot me a message and I'll help you out any way I can. I'm outa here.

Interesting Bedford. I'm trying to help the guy out and I do this for a living. Thats kinda like me telling him to "stop and go watch Walt to build the saw"... Thanks for spitting in my ****ing face.
I don't think that was his intention it can get crazy on here sometimes and at the same time try not to take thing's to personal. It's no different from me telling someone how to port a cylinder and then someone telling them to go to somewhere else first I'm not going to let that bother me because there's so many ways to do it and I like knowing that there might be someone else who has a better idea than I do because it might make me better at what I do. Just saying.

WoW!

William was helping and I was too. Chain is one area we can not help each other with (not in here) its too complicated and when you add milling to it, it makes some basic understanding mandatory. There are guys on this site that are actual experts on chain and there is more than one. Information was being shot so fast at hacksaw what i wanted him to slow down and start to look so he could talk to William who I am sure has a lot of experience that he is anxious to help/share others with. I could see hacksaw placing an order to get it over with.

Nobody need to show me up and i was not showing up William. an hours worth of reading hacksaw could have asked pointed question from someone who appears to have experience or understood better what he was hearing. i am just a humble kit builder who has been though the forum thing. where making a post can cause you to lose sleep after someone twists it up. man i love this journey and want everyone that wants to join in including william and hacksaw or anyone else, to join in. building a saw is not anywhere as complicated as understanding the chain.

guys dont be afraid of this process. the forum is scary and there are some buttholes. but you will survive, i am proof. so ask questions make comments and if you see someone going to fast slow them down. the scary part is when you are not sure what to ask or how to present it so you don't look clueless. if that is keeping you from posting send me a message i will if i can help you make sense so you can make your post, if that will get you off the fence and talking.

i will tell you a lesson i learned so prove its confusing. i got the 070 and there were no bars for it that i felt good about. So i went to my stihl dealer and told him i had a 070 and needed a bar. this guy had never seen one, he grabbed his catalog and said you need this bar. so i bought it, he ordered it and it arrived and i tried to put it on and it would not fit!

I did everything right and the guy was so mad at me when i wanted to return it, why was he not mad at stihl? stihl does not sell a bar that will fit a 070, i did not know that. on a 070/090 there is also the argument of 3/8 or .404. Regular chain what grind? skip? on and on, angle of your grind, lol. So before you buy and hacksaw was hunting we need to slow down and get it right. that was my total motivation. I also got a lesson by driving to see a guy that specializes in chain and bars and bought the bar/chain from him. I saw some amazing equipment that he uses to grind the chain and the other support equipment like straightening out a bar. thousands of dollars in equipment. there is a lot to it, but its easy to learn, its not rocket science, but you do need to get the basics so you can absorb the rest as you go.

WoW!

William was helping and I was too. Chain is one area we can not help each other with (not in here) its too complicated and when you add milling to it, it makes some basic understanding mandatory. There are guys on this site that are actual experts on chain and there is more than one. Information was being shot so fast at hacksaw what i wanted him to slow down and start to look so he could talk to William who I am sure has a lot of experience that he is anxious to help/share others with. I could see hacksaw placing an order to get it over with.

Nobody need to show me up and i was not showing up William. an hours worth of reading hacksaw could have asked pointed question from someone who appears to have experience or understood better what he was hearing. i am just a humble kit builder who has been though the forum thing. where making a post can cause you to lose sleep after someone twists it up. man i love this journey and want everyone that wants to join in including william and hacksaw or anyone else, to join in. building a saw is not anywhere as complicated as understanding the chain.

guys dont be afraid of this process. the forum is scary and there are some buttholes. but you will survive, i am proof. so ask questions make comments and if you see someone going to fast slow them down. the scary part is when you are not sure what to ask or how to present it so you don't look clueless. if that is keeping you from posting send me a message i will if i can help you make sense so you can make your post, if that will get you off the fence and talking.

i will tell you a lesson i learned so prove its confusing. i got the 070 and there were no bars for it that i felt good about. So i went to my stihl dealer and told him i had a 070 and needed a bar. this guy had never seen one, he grabbed his catalog and said you need this bar. so i bought it, he ordered it and it arrived and i tried to put it on and it would not fit!

I did everything right and the guy was so mad at me when i wanted to return it, why was he not mad at stihl? stihl does not sell a bar that will fit a 070, i did not know that. on a 070/090 there is also the argument of 3/8 or .404. Regular chain what grind? skip? on and on, angle of your grind, lol. So before you buy and hacksaw was hunting we need to slow down and get it right. that was my total motivation. I also got a lesson by driving to see a guy that specializes in chain and bars and bought the bar/chain from him. I saw some amazing equipment that he uses to grind the chain and the other support equipment like straightening out a bar. thousands of dollars in equipment. there is a lot to it, but its easy to learn, its not rocket science, but you do need to get the basics so you can absorb the rest as you go.
Very well put Bedford I love this sight and love the knowledge that comes with it. :yes::drinkingcoffee:

Ok today i was trapped in the house today do to a cold and it's snowing outside so i thought i would look for a different cilinder and piston for the farmertec ms660 just because and I come across one I've neve heard of it's a Maco has anyone heard of this one or used this cilinder and piston kit before. Bedford T how about you? Because after I get all the fuel system all replaced with oem I'm thinking might change out the top end just because. Lol

Never heard of it but that means nothing. World's a great big old place. With your porting skills you could take a fair one and make it a good one.

Not snowing here thank goodness but I know what you mean. I spent some time with that new chain sharpener I got. Even made a video of me using it. A great way to see it being used by a total numb. By the end I had got the hang of it. I must fix up a holder before I do it again. I am sold on it cause it's quick and I don't have to learn all at once. I can have a properly honed chain while I learn. That sounded sweet.

I am going to crack open a used 440 case next week sometime when my buddy gets back. He and I share a few expensive tools like the Stihl case cracker. Going build a Magnum. I refuse to take the top off my saw it runs so good. Just build another engine. But you on the other hand would. Gutsy:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back