Fastest you destroyed a new chain!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was wandering what the fastest you had destroyed a new chainsaw chain? I had one I cut one chord of firewood with. I was doing the second chord with it. I did the second cut and hit a rock frozen to an Oak tree I was cutting. It peeled the chrome off the entire cutters and bent them. There was no mercy for that chain. It was game over. I was using a Husky 385.

5 inches into a 22" oak ... hit a rock that grew in the tree.

Saw the sparks, pulled the bar out and gave up for the day after seeing the damage.

Bought a grinder the following week. That chain was toast, I did not even take it to the grinder.

Lesson learned, don't fell an oak low to the ground, even if it is on a small incline.

first cut

Had a huge oak tree on property we have on the river. Lightening hit and killed it so I bought a new 029 super with 20 inch bar. FIRST cut under cut my notch second cut making the notch hit a huge 20 penny nail about 6 inches into the tree .Knocked 2 teeth completely off the chain . Toasted it:bang: this was20 yrs ago still running the 029 super

Those stories make me feel I got off lucky. I had a new chain, stuck in a log and after the first cut the chain wasn't cutting well or straight.

I had hit a rock and ripped the chrome off the cutters on the left side. I salvaged the chain by sharpening it back about halfway - so I only lost half a chain.

Not meaning to hi-jack, but while cutting tornado trees in Minneapolis. I hit something and broke the tips of the chisel on 3 cutters. Is that chain toast? Is it still safe to cut with? It was brand new that day.

Thanks!

I once knocked a tooth off of a chain after only 363.5 cords. Heck, that was a bad start to my week. Oh well, what do you expect when you don't run stihls I guess--just rips the chains right off 'em. :smile2:

Not meaning to hi-jack, but while cutting tornado trees in Minneapolis. I hit something and broke the tips of the chisel on 3 cutters. Is that chain toast? Is it still safe to cut with? It was brand new that day.

Thanks!

I would suggest to take it to a dealer and ask if it can be salvaged, but they will most likely say no because they want to sell a new chain. If the entire cutter is gone then the chain is shot because replacing the cutters would likely cost more than a new chain.

Similar to a couple of you on here, I was cutting a large oak that had blown down in our creek onto a fence line. About 6-8" into the cut I hit a large chunk of metal that the tree had grown around snapped 2 cutters completely off and peeled chrome on several others. Was a brand new bar and chain combo I had got just for that tree. So I had to order in another chain before anything else happened.

Worst part is I almost started in on that same cut with the new chain. :bang:

Did about 5 of them in one morning. Cutting the roots off of stumps so they could be hauled away in a dump truck. One guy cutting and one or two sharpening. There was no way around it, but we got'r done. Soil was almost pure sand and we couldn't even make one cut without resharpening halfway threw.

I offered my new 372xp to a friend for back up to his saw when we were cutting trees down the other day. When I came back from delivering a load of wood he had pinched the brand new 24" bar and chain. It took the better part of an afternoon and a new sprocket tip to be back in business......I think, I haven't tried it to see if works.

Toasted 3 or 4 in about 10 minutes a few years ago. Guys from the crew were giving me their chains at the end of the week to drop at our shop to be sharpened. Hung them on the trailer hitch (for what was supposed to be temporarily), drove off, remembered about them about 5 miles down the road. Toasted a few links. :msp_angry:

Less than a minute for me to ruin a new chain. I went to help a buddy buck up a tree that came down in his yard. I flashed up my saw then went to do an undercut and went down to start the cut looked thru the wrong part on my bifocals.WHAMO! new chain into the limestone parking area. Needless to say! :pissed-off:

Bucking a 36" Red Oak I hit a railroad spike in the middle of the trunk. Junked a brand new 91 driver Rapid Super chain. Made me sick to my stomach...

got half way thru a 30 + round and hit a 1/2 inch bolt from a repair prob 25 years prev ,completely encased in the wood took 6-8 cutters from both sides = junk chain lifespan aprox 10 minutes lol live and learn jk

I very seldom make it through a whole chain without ruining it. My 660s main job just happens to be felling trees from overgrown fencelines before rebuilding the fence. These trees are mostly Cherry, Oak, Maple and sometimes over 40 years old. You know, the kind that are nothing left but barbed wire strung thru the trees. :msp_razz:

It never fails, you will hit the wire. Sometimes you can't tell it's in the tree but if it's there, the chain will find it. Busting up 28" chains gets expensive. Good thing the bossman provides them. :D

Last edited:
First cut. Several times.

T-posts can be sneaky.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Oh yea, you aint tellin me nothing man. Those T post don't just dull chains, they destroy them. :D

I have found them right in the center of 30" trees before. Nothing better than that, right? :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh yea, you aint tellin me nothing man. Those T post don't just dull chains, they destroy them. :D

I have found them right in the center of 30" trees before. Nothing better than that, right? :hmm3grin2orange:

Couple years back I busted 3-4 tooth off of an old loop of LGX on some wire, grabbed the spare loop, brand new Loop of RSC...and found the T-Post the wire was on.:bang:

If the wind is right, a loop of LGX will sail about 40-45yds.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back