Favorite Saw of All Time ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the sachs i am holding is a 153 with a 38 inch bar and chain set up. the sachs behind it on a shelf is a 120 si with a 20 inch bar and chain set up. both clobber any wood in their way.
i think i finally found out how to post pictures so they will only improve.
wanna sell your 153??? protect yourselves; marty

Hey Marty, Is that you? Its funny how we imagine what someone would look like before we see them. And all this time I thought you were just another sawed off shrimp!
I better not be calling you a shrimp though or you just might do me in at the Revival.
Anyway, you'll recognize me there because I'm the little bald guy with the big saw.
See ya there Marty, Dennis has some timber we can fell as well.
John

i must not be seeing all the pictures.dont see nothin but saws.
oh well after that fur a few post back mabe im better of. especially if yaw gro men big as u do trees.later now
late bulletin ,i saw it . duh

Last edited:
This is really a tough question! After being struck by the chainsaw freight train I have found myself hopeless. If the truth be known my first saw, an Echo 440E will always have a place in my heart (and in the house). I cleared my lot to build my house with just this one saw! I ran the mess out of it and it never complained! Next came a sachsdolmar 120 super. It actually thinks its as large as my 288XP. My first Husky (281XP- 24"bar) is my old standby. With it I know no fear. Then you can't go wrong with a good 262XP for a power limb saw, it rocks. Cry tora,tora,tora when you pickup the 246 and 42 special as they are banchee limbing saws. Then when a baptism by fire is at hand I grab those hebrew boys (371XP,261,55) because they can stand the test. In closing, I guess they are all my favorites and I did'nt even mention the 280E,23,3400 and PT260 pole pruner that have also found a place in my heart! Later

Best saw I ever had was a Husky 288 XP with a 20" bar, 88cc/6.1 hp with a 3/8" chain. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

A little heavy, but made for a real man to use.:D

this 020av keeps getting better. keeps on an all im going to need is my 028 super and this 020.better hold on to the echo an such tho as i dont know about getting pts for these older stihls,in the
future.

Of all the saws I've had, the 026 is the best all around saw. The 028 cuts well, but the muffler design burns the hand, the 031 runs like a diesel - slow and all day long, the 036 is good, but a might hard to start for my father and others older, 044 is great, 038 was really good, 064 not bad, and 066 reserved for the big jobs. 19 times out of 20, I will pick up the 026's though.

See ya - Arborisites no -longer-so-official-professional-forester

well ,, not all of us have owned our favorite yet. ive already listed the 028 as my favorite.. due to dependability.
but that was before i got this dan henry 372. ive got what i think are some good saws . olympic 962 ,036 ,and a poulan pro 295 that i thinkis the fastest in its class ive ever seen with the proper cutting set up. but the 372 is got it all,
fastest by far,comfortable operating saw. and seems to be as durable as any saw ive owned. one thing this things pp by dan ,,so i dont operate it without ear protection. u do u ear drums will be vibrating like an banjo string ,when u goto bed that nite. i really dont think its cause its loud. u ear drum picks up each rpm ,,and i think its just more than the bones in there can take.jmo
by the way thanks again dan. if i sho the 372 enough ill mabe get some boys wanting u to do their saws. im working on it bud. i ll see some tommorrow.

i must admit ive not shown it much as ,frankly im afraid some,, might want it too much. thats not fair to u tho ,so im gonna break it out from now on . later now.
u deal with all sorts,, at them flea markets

Since I wasn't on the forum in early '02 when this topic was up originally, I'll jump in now.

More practical than a "favorite saw" for me would be a "favorite saw package":

MS 200T 3-screw carb
346XP
372XP

I go to the two smaller saws more as my back gets worse. The 346XP is so quick and handy. Though I was a little hesitant to get that 200T, it has been fantastic.

But I do have a favorite saw, one I admired and enjoyed using the most. Running it occaisionally reminds me of the first time I ran one and thought "holy sh_t!". It gives me the impression that it's the high point of factory performance (early 90's production based upon a late 80's foundation of toughness) just before emissions became a major conflicting concern in saw development.

The Husqvarna 262XP.

My favorite would have to be my 066G as it will pull right on through oak with a 36'' bar and full comp (I prefer full skip as it involves less sharping) most of the time I run a 24'' bar and full comp on it with an eight tooth sprocket.

Same thing, Ryan, only a 20" bar with a full comp.

Whee-doggies!!! :D

jed.jpg

My favorite ever is the 056 mag, not only is this the first saw I ever purchased, I was still using this saw last week but alas the second ressurection didnt last long I think it is dead for real this time. Over a 1000 hours on this saw without a doubt, I blame the crew this time, while in the air I would hear it run out of gas many times in the last few months, There will be payback coming for them in the future I have many methods.

Latest posts

Back