favorite type of job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What type of jobs do you guys prefer to do?

Over the summer I was doing a few jobs where I spent almost a week with 1 or 2 other guys, take down a few easy trees that were out of place or dying / dead, do a lot of dead wood pruning, or opening things up for air circulation, views, and light... seemed pretty nice.

After labor day it seems like I am looking at more removals than anything else... and I am not too keen on it. The other day I gave a price for about 10 cottonweeds which weren't in terrible condition for the most part, and actually were well suited for their sites... then I looked at a beautiful, healthy hemlock that the owners wanted out because it takes up too much space in their yard... I think I'd rather be out there to give a price for spraying / pruning it than the removal... but that's just me.

Removals all the way, I like to move a lot of timber fast. Point at them and I'll take em' down. It's all about speed and efficiency.

I like to "care" for trees too, but if I was gonna go on a blitz, it's removals all the way, money cuts baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well since Im no longer an owner anymore, and work for a Tree Service, Id have to say my favorite type of work has to be anything spikeless...really enjoy gettin up in the tree and moving around in the canopy, doing pruning and deadwooding....but dont mind the rush of a good take down with some serious rigging going on. Love setting up zip lines if applicable or getting some good rigging going with a GRCS and some good ground guys. Dont mind the bucket days either...heck really the only thing I dont like is feeding the chipper for hours on end doing brush clearing...but thankfully being a climber that work is limited for me these days. Other then that I really actually enjoy ever aspect of the tree service, but there is nothing more sadisfying then having a cold beer after a good solid day of fun climbs. :givebeer:

Massacres, with no cleanup at all, not even limbing. Production you can see, my favorite.

One, 5 day, strategic large sugar gum eucalyptus removal, for 15 grand, over a mansion, with a view over La Jolla cove and it's beautiful girls in bikinis.

Hobb's device, wood and brush walking, the whole 9 yards!

jomoco

Lots of smallish trees in the same area. Tip tying the small trees to the big ones and cuttin' from the ground. The climber gets to swing around up top all day from tree to tree settin' ropes and all the wood comes straight down. That's the stuff right there.

What ever makes money. That would be removal's seeing how the :censored: ing arborist license is eluding me at this time. It's time for CT to update their testing practices but that's a whole different story. Amazing how a title can go to some peoples head.

Dead wood pruning red oaks for now. I do have my eye on other trees I would like to get into but my landscape business has me busy right now. I am working on my own for now so no fancy takedowns without a groundman for me. Pose a chipper would help to but I can always rent one if a job comes along.

everything about the biz but fine pruning and spraying. the boss knows not to put me on the spray rig because i'll put the hose in the homeowners window out of spite. he also knows its a waste of money for me to be on the pruning crew. way to much money to run a rake! i "lost" my felco's aloooong time ago.

crane days are a good time. big nasties in the backyard with obstacles and no place for equipment gets me going too.

i also love running the rope.

man. just running a saw makes me happy.

although i have lost the love for cleaning up after the stump grinder.

edit: but on side jobs my absolute favorite is getting it to the ground with no cleanup. still getting my rate but not having to deal with it and the customer is psyched because of the "deal" he gets. hahahaha

Last edited:
I hate everything stump grinder related. Changing teeth, dodging debris, cleaning up. It's all evil.

I guess I like to change gears alot. some pruning, some big technical takedowns, some stumps etc. I guess pruning big never pruned before red oaks are my favorite. They really look better and are comfortable to work in.... Mike

My favourite pruning is honey locusts. Those always look like crap before and after they look amazing.

my pruning skills are not all that great. i mean i dont butcher tree's and i do get the fundamentals of pruning but , maybe i lack the passion for it. the guys i work with really get into it and their finished product is definitely something to look at.

for me though just because they are very easy to get the form down is a pin oak. pruning wise.

my pruning skills are not all that great. i mean i dont butcher tree's and i do get the fundamentals of pruning but , maybe i lack the passion for it. the guys i work with really get into it and their finished product is definitely something to look at.

for me though just because they are very easy to get the form down is a pin oak. pruning wise.

Pin oaks are hell hanger wise though, what maybe 5% of what you drop makes it down? lol

I guess I like crane work, makes my job easier. My opinion doesnt mean as much as I dont do as much only being a begginer climber.

Pin oaks are hell hanger wise though, what maybe 5% of what you drop makes it down? lol

I guess I like crane work, makes my job easier. My opinion doesnt mean as much as I dont do as much only being a begginer climber.

lol. ya nothing comes out easy at all. careful what you are grabbing too. them branches love to draw blood.

you climbing now? how you liking it? trust your gear bud. you are going to love it. it aint easy but its definitely worth it. stay safe.

Latest posts

Back