Felling a Pine against teh lean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna disagree a little, and actually maybe backtrack the thread a little to define some terms. "Pulling" a tree, if done properly, is really just using a lateral force in the top of a tree to shift the center of gravity rather than a lifting force at the base. The goal should be the same, merely to shift the center of gravity in the intended direction of fall. A rope in a tree, whether attached to a truck or any other type of mechanical advantage, be it a comealong, pulley system or what have you is no substitute and will not make up for improper cutting techniques. If your pulling a tree and it twists off the stump, it was probably a result of bad cuts, not the pulling location. Jeff

Gotta agree and disagree a little too. You're definitely not applying LIFTING force, just the opposite if your pulling at an angle down to the ground. It's called column loading, you've INCREASED the weight on the hinge. A lateral pull would be the equivalent of redirecting your bull rope through a block in another tree at the same height of your tie on the tree to be pulled. To say that a rope choked around the back side of a tree won't affect it though is like saying a top won't spin when you wrap a string around it and pull it. The tree may fall like you planned, but the torque was there nonetheless.

Gotta agree and disagree a little too. You're definitely not applying LIFTING force, just the opposite if your pulling at an angle down to the ground. It's called column loading, you've INCREASED the weight on the hinge. A lateral pull would be the equivalent of redirecting your bull rope through a block in another tree at the same height of your tie on the tree to be pulled. To say that a rope choked around the back side of a tree won't affect it though is like saying a top won't spin when you wrap a string around it and pull it. The tree may fall like you planned, but the torque was there nonetheless.

Very true. I guess the main point I want to make on this thread is that "pulling a tree" is a little bit of a misnomer. Whether you're pulling, wedging, jacking, etc. the main control forces, if done properly are still going to happen down at the cut. If you are relying on your rope to control the direction of fall, you need to rethink your strategy, because once you hit the tipping point and gravity takes over, it's the cuts you've made that are going to control the fall, not the rope.

Very true. I guess the main point I want to make on this thread is that "pulling a tree" is a little bit of a misnomer. Whether you're pulling, wedging, jacking, etc. the main control forces, if done properly are still going to happen down at the cut. If you are relying on your rope to control the direction of fall, you need to rethink your strategy, because once you hit the tipping point and gravity takes over, it's the cuts you've made that are going to control the fall, not the rope.

Man, I was just typing out nearly the exact thing you boys just said, but my fingers were too slow:jester:

If we don't see pic's soon,, then you guy's fed a troll.
Jeff :popcorn:

Grumpy ole swede, why if you were here right now, I'd, well.... I'd probably pop you some popcorn and give ya a beer and then you could tell me about how ya did it in the good ole days...:hmm3grin2orange:

Disclaimer: This post was made from pure bravado based on our geographical separation and the fact that while I know he's way bigger than me at the end of the day he's not near as mean as he want's us to believe. I will now be relocating to Russia by way of Hong Kong, (Where I hear the night life is great) and hangin' out while me and my new buddy Snowden publish our memoirs

Last edited:
Grumpy ole swede, why if you were here right now, I'd, well.... I'd probably pop you some popcorn and give ya a beer and then you could tell me about how ya did it in the good ole days...:hmm3grin2orange:

Disclaimer: This post was made from pure bravado based on our geographical separation and the fact that while I know he's way bigger than me at the end of the day he's not near as mean as he want's us to believe. I will now be relocating to Russia by way of Hong Kong, (Where I hear the night life is great) and hangin' out while me and my new buddy Snowden publish our memoirs

Maybe I will get a 'Garmin',,geta geta Garmin,,,,:msp_biggrin:
Jeff

Hey Guys, well, the tree is on the ground. Went down perfectly according to plan. As for the Rope...I don't remember the brand. But I bought it from the Local Vermeer place and it cost me $350...3/4 inch green weighs a freaking ton...in fact the rope weighed so much the top of the tree was moving before I got it tight!...I got a really nice high tie by shooting a 4 ounce teardrop fishing sinker tied to Mason's twine way up...I shot it with a daisy slingshot from Wal Mart......since all the branches were on one side I was able to since the rope up without any problems. Also the branches being on one side made bucking it easy!! Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it!!....and thanks for the words of caution, I know from my saltwater fishing experience that newbies can get in deep! Discretion is definitely the better part of valor!

As for being a troll...no, I have lots of better things to do with my time than waste anyone else's...View attachment 311137View attachment 311138View attachment 311140View attachment 311141

PS that yellow rope in the picture wasn't even used...I did tie two other ropes...5/8 nylon...you can see the green rope in this photo..but not a real good picture.View attachment 311142

Back