Felling a Pine against teh lean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grumpy ole swede, why if you were here right now, I'd, well.... I'd probably pop you some popcorn and give ya a beer and then you could tell me about how ya did it in the good ole days...:hmm3grin2orange:

He only drinks Glögg with his popcorn.

Well your plan sounds pretty good really. The truck will provide more then enough pulling power and if your bull line is new and in good shape a steady pull is unlikely to break it. I would put a face cut in the direction you are pulling. Put some tension on the bull line, you should move the top of the tree a bit. Start your back cut and get a couple wedges in it asap. As you get to about 2 inches of hinge start your pull. Timing is important here. If your driver pulls too early and hard he could break the top out of the tree, also there is a potential for a barber chair. But if you keep some tension on the tree, as you cut it will start to go on its own. Its important to keep cutting as your truck is pulling the tree over. You should be left with a tree right where you want it, broken off of a 1-2inch hinge. The idea is to let the truck pull it over with a strong hinge intact to prevent it from going anywhere other then toward the truck.

Ive broke 23,ooolb rope brand new. Since he is asking, its above his experence. He needs a professional to remove it from the top.

Ummh, Squirreley, the tree's down, he did great. But if you broke a brand new bullrope, stick around, ask questions, and we'll do what we can to help you learn better techniques. Jeff[/QUOTE
im glad it turned out great. My point is not to attempt something new when catastrophy could result. 1 it could have been hollow was it checked. 2 was trunk/root structure observed for fungus. 3 was any trenching done in close proximity of tree. New felling techniques should be done on land clear type or in an area not suseptible to damage. As for the rope my ground guy was pulling assisted with a bobcat. As you are well aware a 23,000lb rope is at breaking strength. Minus 60% for knot = 8,625lbs divided by 5 for safty industy standard = 1,735 wll. Yes it can hold more at a reduction of the safe wll. I agree with you. I dont know it all. I base my experience on safty and have never had a insurance claim. I have had a window at FMC $586.00 due to a 1" branch slide down the window cracking the pane at the base and small stuff adding to $1800.00 in 12 years of climbing and rigging.

Welcome to AS. If you read the entire thread, you'll find he was well coached and cautioned, and felt it was within his abilities, and based on results, he done good. Are you in Katy tx? Jeff

yup, been a long time since I was on arborsite. Didnt realize end of story. I was in Georgetown 3months ago. What a awesome town! Had coffee in the town square. Ate at Walburg (great german food).

Two climbers at a GTG?:bang::jester:

nope not from my side. I havent been on this site in years 8+. I didnt realize thread was done. See, what do i know?ah GTG = get to geather ;) like I said its been a while. Sure next time im in Georgetown give u a buzzzz ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back